PDA

View Full Version : Ben & Jerry's unveils Schweddy Balls ice cream

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

oleada
09-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Won't anyone think of the children? (http://news.yahoo.com/ben-jerry-flavor-sparks-boycott-203407791.html;_ylt=Aso9fH8m7Nw7xxirU9igVEa8aw8F;_ ylu=X3oDMTRoMjAycmxmBGNjb2RlA2dtcHRvcDIwMHBvb2xyZX N0BG1pdANOZXdzIGZvciB5b3UEcGtnAzVkOTJkOGMzLTVhNjUt MzU0ZC1hNDNlLTUzNWMyMTg0MzBkOQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDbmV3c1 9mb3JfeW91BHZlcgMwNWJjYjYyMC1lM2M5LTExZTAtYWQ5NS1j ZWQwZTc0ZGFlYzg-;_ylg=X3oDMTNjaWtucDI0BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDNzkxNDZhZGItODZmZS0zZTk1LTlhODMtNmE3OTM5Mj M0NGU1BHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxsYXRpbiBhbWVyaWNhBHB0A3N0 b3J5cGFnZQR0ZXN0Aw--;_ylv=3) :drama:

MacMadame
09-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I bet children love Schweddy Balls though. ;)

DarrellH
09-21-2011, 11:16 PM
http://www.mediaite.com/online/american-family-association-comes-out-against-ben-jerry%e2%80%99s-new-flavor-schweddy-balls/

Ben & Jerry’s announced their newest ice cream flavor which sounds anything but appealing. Schweddy Balls is the best they could come up with. The vulgar new flavor has turned something as innocent as ice cream into something repulsive. Not exactly what you want a child asking for at the supermarket.

IceAlisa
09-21-2011, 11:46 PM
:drama:

Has anyone tried it yet?

oleada
09-22-2011, 03:52 AM
IceAlisa, my friend in Denver tried it (her B&J had a test batch) and she said it was really good.

From Ana Gasteyer's twitter:

Pls make a 'Moms Against Schweddy Balls' tee

:lol:

FigureSpins
09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Won't anyone think of the children? (http://news.yahoo.com/ben-jerry-flavor-sparks-boycott-203407791.html;_ylt=Aso9fH8m7Nw7xxirU9igVEa8aw8F;_ ylu=X3oDMTRoMjAycmxmBGNjb2RlA2dtcHRvcDIwMHBvb2xyZX N0BG1pdANOZXdzIGZvciB5b3UEcGtnAzVkOTJkOGMzLTVhNjUt MzU0ZC1hNDNlLTUzNWMyMTg0MzBkOQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDbmV3c1 9mb3JfeW91BHZlcgMwNWJjYjYyMC1lM2M5LTExZTAtYWQ5NS1j ZWQwZTc0ZGFlYzg-;_ylg=X3oDMTNjaWtucDI0BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDNzkxNDZhZGItODZmZS0zZTk1LTlhODMtNmE3OTM5Mj M0NGU1BHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxsYXRpbiBhbWVyaWNhBHB0A3N0 b3J5cGFnZQR0ZXN0Aw--;_ylv=3):drama:
I agree that it's a distasteful (no pun intended) name. It's just a publicity stunt tied to this weekend's SNL show. (Steve Martin's record of 15 times hosting is being broken by Alec Baldwin) SNL is not appropriate for kids - sometimes I enjoy the show, most times, I find it sophomoric and nasty. This was an example - the "Wild and Crazy Guys" skits were far more funny. This skit made me squirm and feel uncomfortable.

I don't typically buy Ben & Jerry's, but this stunt certainly will not encourage me to buy their brand. One of my DDs was checking out the B&J's selections on Monday at the grocery store. I thought of this stunt but I didn't see the flavor when I glanced at the case.

Breyers was on sale and I had a coupon, so I redirected her attention to that part of the freezer section. We don't really need the fat and calories of B&J's and my bank account and children are perfectly happy with less-expensive brands of ice cream.

Yazmeen
09-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Pardon my beeyotchiness, but newsflash to the offended moms of the world: I realize this may be difficult for you to understand or accept, but not everything or every product created in this world is for or about your kids, even if it is ice cream. You don't want your child to have it? Fine, don't buy it. Nothing wrong with an ice cream product aimed at adults. We appreciate a little attention once in a while, too.

Definitely going to try this one!

MacMadame
09-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Plus, I am somewhat :huh: about the idea that kids can look at a tub of ice cream in a grocery store and be corrupted.

For one thing, if the kids have never heard of the SNL skit, they will have no idea what the name is about. If they even notice the ice cream and ask about it, just say the ice cream has malted milk balls in it and that's why it has that name. End of discussion.

OTOH, if your really young kids are watching SNL, you have other problems much bigger than seeing the name of an ice cream in the store.

Jenna
09-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Sorry, but the name is so unappealing that it's probably going to prevent me from trying this one out.

PeterG
09-22-2011, 11:37 PM
I went into a sports store and as I wandered the aisles, I saw a sign reading,

BASKET

BALLS

I left immediately and will never return. AND I made sure all my friends with children do not go there!!! :mad:

DarrellH
09-22-2011, 11:48 PM
I went into a sports store and as I wandered the aisles, I saw a sign reading,

BASKET

BALLS

I left immediately and will never return. AND I made sure all my friends with children do not go there!!! :mad:

LOL!:rofl: Same thing happened to me at a bowling alley.

skatemomaz
09-23-2011, 01:41 AM
:rofl: I think it's hilarious and can't wait to try the ice cream. The flavor combination sounds :swoon:

My kids are grown, but I certainly would not have had a problem when they were younger if this ice cream was available then. :rolleyes: Some people need to lighten up.

snip
Breyers was on sale and I had a coupon, so I redirected her attention to that part of the freezer section. We don't really need the fat and calories of B&J's and my bank account and children are perfectly happy with less-expensive brands of ice cream.
:shuffle: Breyers has less fat and calories than B&J? News to me.

FigureSpins
09-23-2011, 03:30 AM
Yes, Haagen Daaz and Ben & Jerry's both start out with a higher fat and calorie content than Breyers, even before the candy/cookies/fudge gets added.

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/6_98des.htm

The kids have eaten half of the Breyer's container already, DH told me tonight. (As he had his own ice cream for dessert, lol)

Jem X
09-23-2011, 03:39 AM
Forget Schweddy Balls, their Red Velvet ice cream is to die for......:D

ITA! Yum

BigB08822
09-23-2011, 03:42 AM
I went to the store last night and tried their brownie batter ice cream. I was really disappointed. It has chocolate ice cream which I am not a huge fan of to begin with but it taste just like choc ice cream with some brownie swirled in. They also had a fudge brownie which I imagine tastes exactly the same. It tasted nothing like brownie BATTER to me and just like actual brownie mixed in. I also noticed the ice cream had more ice crystals than Blue Bell vanilla which is so creamy and smooth.