PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Olympic Games Bid Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Buzz
05-27-2012, 04:58 AM
I think the US has had it with bidding for big events for a while. And I can't say I blame them.

allezfred
05-30-2012, 10:43 AM
No. Am I mistaken that Tokyo is a very crowded place? Or is my opinion not allowed because I have never been to any of those locations? :rolleyes:

You're allowed your opinion, but I'm allowed to tell you that your opinion is completely baseless.

Tokyo is a large city, just like London, New York, etc. Are you saying only uncrowded places can host the Olympics? Because that rules out pretty much every major city in the world. :lol:

I'm still :confused: as to why you thought because a city has a large population there wouldn't be enough hotel rooms. Hint: people who live in a city don't stay in hotel rooms. They live in their own houses and apartments. ;)

Tokyo has an excellent public transit system, plenty of hotel rooms and several world class venues. The only bad thing about the Tokyo bid is that it is headed by their mayor who is a major asshole. :P

Rob
06-01-2012, 11:40 PM
I am still looking for my summer games. Still mad I was taking the bar exam during Atlanta 1996.

What do hotel rooms cost in Tokyo? Higher than London? You used to see in the media that Tokyo food, hotels and transportation cost $10000s but I have no clue if that is still true (or was ever true). My problem with Tokyo is that I would feel more compelled to explore Japan than to watch the games. When I have time and money to go that far, and I haven't been there before, I want to see the country. And in the case of Japan, not just Tokyo - I'd want to travel the country. The only thing I have seen in Japan is the inside of Narita on the way back from China.

I have been to Rome a few times. I have been to Rio once. I also have been to London a few times. (I looked into London, but $13k in hotel/tickets for 4 days was just a little steep, and I have a busy summer as it is).

Istanbul is an interesting idea, but I have never been there. I have a good friend who lived there so she could probably navigate me around the tourist must-sees with time to attend the games.

Maybe I should look into Rio.

I'd be all over Reno/Tahoe. My brother lives in Tahoe, my sister in law in Reno, her mother in Carson (in between), and I have been there dozens of times. In the winter, not sure there is that much to do outside of shopping, skiing and other winter outdoor stuff, and gambling. That works for me though.

allezfred
06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
What do hotel rooms cost in Tokyo? Higher than London? You used to see in the media that Tokyo food, hotels and transportation cost $10000s but I have no clue if that is still true (or was ever true).

Hotel rooms in higher end hotels are cheaper than London in my experience, but not by much. And it's the Olympics so prices will be ramped up beforehand as happens in every Olympic city. There are no shortage of hotels and other types of accommodation though.

Accommodation costs in Japanese cities outside of Tokyo are significantly less expensive.

Unless you go really fancy, eating out is much cheaper and the quality is amazing. Transportation is perfectly reasonable too.

Rob
06-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Accommodation costs in Japanese cities outside of Tokyo are significantly less expensive.

That is a great idea when the city and surroundings have good trains like Japan does. I stayed in Bardonecchia in 2006, and it was about half the price of the cheapest Torino hotels available on CoSport. Trains were great too.

kylet3
06-05-2012, 10:33 PM
I think Tokyo would host an amazing games! Madrid's economy right now is in the toilet with a 20% unemployment rate, Istanbul is in a part of the world that is unstable and has a fast growing non-secular sect that may use the games a staging ground to get out their message :scream:

Tokyo's bid was by far the best techincal bid for 2016. I think their games would be safe, compact and have a great atmosphere. I also think it's just the thing to lift the spirts of a nation that has undergone so much trauma in the past 12-18 months. Obivously it can't erase the memories of those victims that were lost in a terrible tragedy, but I think would give them reason to be hopeful for something great in the future.

My rankings so far.

Tokyo
Gap
Madrid
HUGE GAP
Istanbul

Domshabfan
06-06-2012, 07:22 AM
I think Tokyo would host an amazing games! Madrid's economy right now is in the toilet with a 20% unemployment rate, Istanbul is in a part of the world that is unstable and has a fast growing non-secular sect that may use the games a staging ground to get out their message :scream:

Tokyo's bid was by far the best techincal bid for 2016. I think their games would be safe, compact and have a great atmosphere. I also think it's just the thing to lift the spirts of a nation that has undergone so much trauma in the past 12-18 months. Obivously it can't erase the memories of those victims that were lost in a terrible tragedy, but I think would give them reason to be hopeful for something great in the future.

My rankings so far.

Tokyo
Gap
Madrid
HUGE GAP
Istanbul

I was shocked to see Madrid made the cut, their economy is in taters and the country can't afford to spent for the Olympics. i have no idea why they taking such a risk not just for themselves, but also for other eurozone countries. I hope they drop out just like Italy did. As for Tokyo I do think they have a strong bid and would win if they are able to convince the people of Tokyo to back the bid, otherwise Istanbul will win. If ever a games goes to predominantly Muslim country in the near future I think it will be Turkey or Malaysia.

If secularism was such an issue I will have objection to countries even in north america getting the games.

mkats
06-08-2012, 03:46 AM
My rankings so far.

Tokyo
Gap
Madrid
HUGE GAP
Istanbul

I'm so out of it right now that I spent several minutes trying to figure out who this "Gap" country was :lol:

Rob
06-13-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm so out of it right now that I spent several minutes trying to figure out who this "Gap" country was :lol:

Gap is located just north of Huge Gap.

Rob
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Team Istanbul for me. I like diversifying the locations. Spain had a OG in 1992 and Japan in 1998.

1992/8 to 2020 is a long time though, plus 1998 was a Winter Olympics.

Although there is not an official rotation, Toyko fits in a rotation scheme (absent a bid from Africa/Australia):

1992 Europe
1996 Americas
2000 Australia
2004 Europe
2008 Asia
2012 Europe
2016 Americas
2020 [Asia]

There is something else I have observed from going to sporting events in different locations. The towns that are less populated just don't have as much experience with moving people. The cities that are more densely populated are in the daily business of coping with heavy traffic and people-moving. It sounds weird, but adding a whole mess of new people doesn't tend to make as much difference when you already are moving millions each day.