PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Olympic Games Bid Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

walei
05-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Dust off this thread to update that today in Quebec City the IOC has announced Tokyo, Madrid and Istanbul are the official candidate cities for the 2020 Games. Baku and Doha did not make the short list.

BigB08822
05-24-2012, 02:49 AM
Tokyo is crowded enough, where would all of the athletes, coaches, tourists, etc all stay!? It could be a logistics nightmare. I like Istanbul or Madrid but I worry about the economy in Spain. I know it could be totally different in 2020 but it could also be totally worse. Istanbul for the win.

Theatregirl1122
05-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Yeah, I'm on team Istanbul as well.

walei
05-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Tokyo is apparently the front runner now as judged by the IOC for technical merits. Tokyo's bid is to reuse and upgrade a lot of their existing venues from their previous hosting back in '64. Their biggest obstacle is PyeongChang 2018 because the IOC may not want to have two Games in Asia back to back.

Istanbul can pull a Rio 2016, but with their previous announcement for Turkey to bid for Euro2020 and could win that by default (as the only bid), the IOC may not want to give the Games to Istanbul.

Madrid has their economy as a big obstacle they really need to convince the IOC of their financial security in 2020.

Personally I want Madrid to win haha just to knock out all possible European cities for 2024 to lessen the competition for Toronto. If Tokyo wins, 2024 is pretty much Europe's to lose unless South Africa steps in.

vesperholly
05-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Team Istanbul for me. I like diversifying the locations. Spain had a OG in 1992 and Japan in 1998.

allezfred
05-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Tokyo is crowded enough, where would all of the athletes, coaches, tourists, etc all stay!? It could be a logistics nightmare.

Have you ever been to Tokyo? :confused:

kylet3
05-24-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm Team Tokyo or Team Madrid, I'd be fine with either of those winning. I am absolutely thrilled that Doha didn't make the list.

I think a Tokyo games would be absolutely amazing. Especially after the earthquake last year, it would really be something positive to uplift a country that's had it's fair share of bad stuff happen to them recently. I thought they had easily the best technical bid the last time around, and with some tweaking here and there, they will be the ones to beat.

Madrid I feel would put on a great games as well, very solid technically based around already existing venues if not a bit bland, but again, in a country with a really terrible economy and extreme unemployment, the IOC might be weary sending it there.

Istanbul concerns me a bit, Rogge has stated that they can't have their cake and eat it to IE he doesn't want Istanbul taking on EURO 2020 and the Olympics in the same year, so they might have to make a choice. Logistics would be an absolute nightmare. I'm also concerned about the traditional secularism being replaced by religious extreism and them using the games as a platform for that.

Tokyo or Madrid FTW!

BigB08822
05-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Have you ever been to Tokyo? :confused:

No. Am I mistaken that Tokyo is a very crowded place? Or is my opinion not allowed because I have never been to any of those locations? :rolleyes:

a56
05-24-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm on Team Istanbul or Madrid, although not really quite enthusiastic about this relatively poor short list of 3 candidate cities. Far cry from 2012. Very disappointing that Paris, South Africa, and the U.S. didn't bid, all three of which I would prefer over this current short list. Huge mistake for the U.S. not to bid since they just signed the revenue agreement and because of the short list.

walei
05-25-2012, 02:12 AM
USOC wasn't going to bid until they reach an agreement with the IOC on the revenue sharing so 2020 was out of the question for the US. Now it's possible for the US to bid for 2022 or 2024, and for 2022 there are already some movement in the US like Reno-Tahoe (love the idea of Tahoe but not sure about Reno...), Denver, and SLC again. If US bid for 2022 I think they will be a shoe in!

Vagabond
05-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Very disappointing that Paris, South Africa, and the U.S. didn't bid, all three of which I would prefer over this current short list.

I think the South Africans realized that it was extremely unlikely that the IOC would stage two successive Summer Olympics in the Southern Hemisphere (and three times out of six). I also think that the IOC might be reluctant to stage two in a row in the Americas.

If South Africa ever does host the Olympics, I hope it will be after vuvuzelas go out of fashion. :scream:

Domshabfan
05-25-2012, 06:54 AM
USOC wasn't going to bid until they reach an agreement with the IOC on the revenue sharing so 2020 was out of the question for the US. Now it's possible for the US to bid for 2022 or 2024, and for 2022 there are already some movement in the US like Reno-Tahoe (love the idea of Tahoe but not sure about Reno...), Denver, and SLC again. If US bid for 2022 I think they will be a shoe in!
Really, you don't think Munich bidding for the games has a chance??? on top of that Germany has hosted a winter since 1936. Nothings is a shoe in!, remember how confident US delegation was for 2016 bid, and we now how that turned out. The event is voted on by members from around the world and they may not think the same way as US delegation does.

walei
05-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Really, you don't think Munich bidding for the games has a chance??? on top of that Germany has hosted a winter since 1936. Nothings is a shoe in!, remember how confident US delegation was for 2016 bid, and we now how that turned out. The event is voted on by members from around the world and they may not think the same way as US delegation does.

Chicago 2016 failed miserably because of the revenue dispute between USOC and IOC. Let's face it, USA is IOC's biggest market, NBC just shelled out 2Billions+ USD for 2018/2020 broadcasting rights. Now that supposedly the relationship between USOC and IOC is all good now, I'm willing to bet as long as USA puts up a decent bid they will be the front runner especially in 2022. The IOC can't afford to upset USA for too long :o

Vash01
05-27-2012, 04:28 AM
Where are the 2016 Olympics?

BaileyCatts
05-27-2012, 04:53 AM
Where are the 2016 Olympics?

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil