PDA

View Full Version : Russian ice-hockey team wiped out in plane crash

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Finnice
09-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Their Finnish goalkeeper coach Jorma Valtonen was supposed to be in the plane, but he got cancelled last minute.
This is so sad. They should not allow those planes to fly any more.

Tinami Amori
09-09-2011, 08:44 AM
The reason is that they have to do something about the air security - reinforce the laws, control every airline and finally just buy the new planes, no matter whether this is Airbus, Boeing, ATR or Superjet. However, I have a strong feeling that it will never happen..

Air security is a separate issue….
Every airline is controlled as far as maintenance of aircrafts, navigation and warning systems installations, pilot training, emergency procedures, etc.,…. and controlled without bribes and underhanded deals… (one rare occasion where it is so in Russia), or the Russian FAA officials (ФАС) can face criminal charges.

Updating the fleets is another and painful issue… Until recently import duties (for purchases or leases) on foreign aircrafts and parts were quite prohibitive in every respect.

Several airlines were able to solve the import duties problem, by either obtaining duty exemptions, or registering sister companies outside of Russia (S7-Siberia, Trans-Aero, Aeroflot, and few others who have the means or foreign partners who can handle it). But many companies could not, and either closed (Krasair, DalAvia, etc.), or continue to fly the aircrafts that they can afford.

Russian airlines crippled by high import duties on foreign aircrafts.
http://rt.com/business/news/russian-airlines-crippled-by-high-import-duties/

We can't bring as many aircrafts into the fleet as needed.... until the duties are removed.:(
Although recently the issue of import duties has been address and % have been reduced for certain size and models of foreign aircrafts.

http://engnews.gazeta.kz/art.asp?aid=319293

http://en.rian.ru/business/20110411/163475280.html

http://www.ebanmagazine.com/mag_story.html?ident=8979

Not fast enough, and years too late. That’s what the “protectionism of the market” got our Russian Airline industry…. too many accidents. And it did not protect anything… Antonov KB and plants, Tupolev KB and plants, Ilushin KB and plants, are dying or dead….. and barely produce enough parts to keep up the old fleet.

Mikoyan’s factory (MIGs) is still producing, and the latest one is MIG-31, which these ass-hats are selling to terrorist nations….. But one recently crashed, just before the delivery to Lebannon….. :D. Poor Lebanon, now they can’t bomb Tel Aviv…. :lol: since they can’t even cross a 4-mile width of the country…. :D

Mystery crash of MIG-31.. Russia grounds entire MiG-31 fleet after mystery crash

http://engnews.gazeta.kz/art.asp?aid=319293

If Artem Ivanovich and Mikhail Yosifovich only knew what “new Russia” did to their design laboratory, they would turn in their graves…. and Archip Mikhailovich (Lul’ka that is) would not like it either…. :lol:

Yesterday they proposed to reduce the number of the small air companies since January 1, 2012 - that is the companies, who have passenger flights and operate 10 planes or less will be closed. Since January 1, 2013 this rule will be applied to the companies which operate 20 planes or less.

I don't think this will actually solve the problem.

It’s not about closing these airlines. It’s about “consolidation” under the umbrella of bigger airlines. This “consolidation” thing has nothing to do with safety concerns. It’s a big mess between Rostechnologia and Aeroflot, and privatization issues, and is all about politics and splitting shares for the small airlines. It’s been dragging on since 2008, and the main parties have their own problems. For one, no major Russian airline wants to take on the expense a dead-beat fleet of a small regional airline. (I don’t want to bore the international crowd with domestic aviation stuff, so let me know if you want to know more, and I’ll send you a PM).

And you right! It will not solve the problem.:(

Moka-Ananas
09-09-2011, 12:49 PM
I just read a German article about Robert Dietrich's girlfriend. He even called her before the plane took off and told her he was so happy to start the new season :(
Such heartbreaking stories :fragile:

Frau Muller
09-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Here's a film of last night's tribute in Minsk. This one is really hard to watch (kleenex alert):

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Dynamo-Minsk-8217-s-hockey-funeral-for-L?urn=nhl-wp12157

Vash01
09-09-2011, 08:27 PM
This is such sad news, too many, too young, too soon. My prayers are with the families of all these men.

I believe many small countries fly outdated planes for local/in country flights, operating as small airlines-not all operate w/worthy equipment, and who knows what inspection requirements are held. I hope when sending skaters to these small countries USFS (and all countries) looks into all the flights and who operates them. Better to use ground travel (train, bus) I would think. It seems most of the airports are fairly close to venues, no?

This is not limited to small countries or to Russia. We keep hearing about FAA violations/poor maintenance even on major airlines in the USA. Also there are plenty of small airlines in the USA also, and not all are safe.

OTOH I would not just quit flying because there was an accident. I would check out the safety record of an airline, if it's a relative unknown.

How safe is ground travel? People die in road accidents too. It's a part of life. It is sad to lose a life or a loved one so suddenly and I do feel sympathy for those affected, but it still is a part of life.

Moka-Ananas
09-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Just read that the last surviving hockey player Alexander Galimov died last night at the hospital :(

The doctors couldn't help him anymore.

R.I.P. Sasha!

Vash01
09-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Just read that the last surviving hockey player Alexander Galimov died last night at the hospital :(

The doctors couldn't help him anymore.

R.I.P. Sasha!

How sad!:(

R.I.P. He must have suffered so much before he passed away.

My sympathies to his family.