PDA

View Full Version : Madonna loathes hydrangeas

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

MacMadame
09-08-2011, 07:01 PM
I know that not tipping is considered almost as big a social faux pas as weeing on someone in the US, but maybe some of the celebs didn't tip well because they thought the service was shite. Or are you still supposed to tip if you feel the service isn't up to par?
And, in addition to your question, one of the 'poor' tippers on the list was listed as "he always tips 15%". So, in fact, he always tips the basic amount for decent, but not stellar service. How does this make him a bad tipper?

I have to wonder about these lists. Sometimes I think people just make this stuff up in order to get back at a celebrity they don't like so the lists are a mix of actually bad tippers and perfectly decent tippers who have entitled wait staff.

Southpaw
09-08-2011, 07:08 PM
You mean when she was living as a starving artist in NYC and did a photoshoot for some extra cast before fame? Are those the only times we witnessed her having hairy armpits because I don't remember seeing any other time she had it.

Yes, yes, yes, that's the one. See, what you can't appreciate just because you're so young and tender and innocent is that in the 80s those hairy pits were quite a shocker because those were the days before, well, before Madonna. You don't know a world before Madonna. All that stuff is no big deal to you because you grew up on a steady diet of hairy armpits and female crotch grabbing. You don't remember a world before MTV. You don't even remember a world before cable television.

But for us old farts? :drama:

And you know the whole pretentious Hollywood female beauty standard? It really changed quite drastically because of Madonna. I remember when it used to be that it was enough for a woman just to be thin. She didn't need muscles. Then Madonna started hitting the gym like a fiend and came out all ripped in that Express Yourself video and then all of a sudden all the women in Hollywood were expected to be ripped. AND thin.

She really did screw a lot of things up, ya know. :lol:

Wyliefan
09-08-2011, 07:19 PM
I don't especially care what Madonna likes or doesn't like, but I'm surprised that anyone could loathe hydrangeas. They're gorgeous! (I know, people have different tastes, but still . . .)

IceAlisa
09-08-2011, 07:20 PM
I am not that fond of hydrangeas but even less so of carnations. I associate red carnations with the Communist holidays in the old country.

PDilemma
09-08-2011, 07:30 PM
I fun on Madonna, but I don't find that interchange offensive. Humorous, yes, as :rofl: her "I'm the Queen of England" accent on the word "absolutely" is priceless. Offensive, nah.

She smiled and thanked the person not once but twice. And clearly said the rest not realizing it could be heard. I'm sure that she gets crap she doesn't want handed to her quite a lot. And I'm sure that most is discarded or donated to charity if useful and that is true of celebrities, politicians and other public figures. This is truly a non-event.

MacMadame
09-08-2011, 07:37 PM
And you know the whole pretentious Hollywood female beauty standard? It really changed quite drastically because of Madonna. I remember when it used to be that it was enough for a woman just to be thin. She didn't need muscles. Then Madonna started hitting the gym like a fiend and came out all ripped in that Express Yourself video and then all of a sudden all the women in Hollywood were expected to be ripped. AND thin.

She really did screw a lot of things up, ya know. :lol:

I don't think encouraging women to be ripped is screwed up. If they are going to be thin as all get-out, the least they can do it work out so they are healthy thin and not unhealthy thin.

But that accent... :shuffle:

Wyliefan
09-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I'd rather wait to rip apart Madonna's W.E. movie if it's true she ignores the whole Nazi ties Wallis Simpson had, rather than complain about a side conversation she didn't realize would be shared with the world.

There are two (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msii9-OyZ3I") clips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXRdxq2TNJU) up on YouTube. (They're labeled "trailers," but they're actually just clips.) IMO, they're pretty bad. The chasing-around-the-tree bit is enough to make one dizzy, and not in a good way.

orbitz
09-08-2011, 08:13 PM

No, that was Jane Fonda and her exercise videos :)

Southpaw
09-08-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't think encouraging women to be ripped is screwed up.

There's nothing wrong with being ripped. What's screwed up is how Madonna set the standard for what music should look like. Before Madonna it was enough to look like Linda Ronstadt (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=linda+ronstadt&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1R2TSNA_enUS376&tbm=isch&tbnid=MvZTAsRax4tjJM:&imgrefurl=http://www.lyricspond.com/artist-linda-ronstadt&docid=zY_OCg6gAsAO5M&w=306&h=300&ei=3g5pTor3Iafh0QHLgbHNCw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=362&page=2&tbnh=123&tbnw=125&start=27&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:27&tx=59&ty=76&biw=1366&bih=551). Post-Madonna that pic of Linda is considered singer fat. Linda's not ripped. If Britney showed up like that people would be hollering "Go hit the gym and put down the Big Macs!" So when people criticize the ridiculously high standard for feminine beauty that Hollywood has for women and how regular gals next door can't hit those levels, well, Madonna is the one who kicked it up so high.

Courtney Love was lucky back then because she was naturally thin AND ripped. Or maybe it was just that heroin diet she was on. :shuffle:

Southpaw
09-08-2011, 08:27 PM
No, that was Jane Fonda and her exercise videos :)

Madonna showed us what we should look like; Jane gave us the tools to get there. ;)

MacMadame
09-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Jane (and her vidoes) were around before Madonna though. But Fonda was into aerobic exercise, which doesn't tend to get you ripped.

Fergus
09-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Crappy reviews or not, I can't wait to see "W.E."! :D

Southpaw
09-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Jane (and her vidoes) were around before Madonna though. But Fonda was into aerobic exercise, which doesn't tend to get you ripped.

Yeah, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz9VN40nCA&ob=av3e) is how a girl gets ripped. :cool:

aliceanne
09-08-2011, 09:03 PM
There's nothing wrong with being ripped. What's screwed up is how Madonna set the standard for what music should look like. Before Madonna it was enough to look like Linda Ronstadt (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=linda+ronstadt&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1R2TSNA_enUS376&tbm=isch&tbnid=MvZTAsRax4tjJM:&imgrefurl=http://www.lyricspond.com/artist-linda-ronstadt&docid=zY_OCg6gAsAO5M&w=306&h=300&ei=3g5pTor3Iafh0QHLgbHNCw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=362&page=2&tbnh=123&tbnw=125&start=27&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:27&tx=59&ty=76&biw=1366&bih=551). Post-Madonna that pic of Linda is considered singer fat. Linda's not ripped. If Britney showed up like that people would be hollering "Go hit the gym and put down the Big Macs!" So when people criticize the ridiculously high standard for feminine beauty that Hollywood has for women and how regular gals next door can't hit those levels, well, Madonna is the one who kicked it up so high.

Courtney Love was lucky back then because she was naturally thin AND ripped. Or maybe it was just that heroin diet she was on. :shuffle:

I don't think Madonna and Britney are in the same league as Linda Ronstadt. Britney and Madonna are selling their sex appeal, their music is nothing without it. Singers like Linda Ronstadt and Aretha Franklin are selling their vocal ability. Their weight is irrelevant.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Madonna is more like an Andy Warhol but music form. Britney Spears is a product of other people's creativity who is just now getting respect due to the fact she survived the industry chewing her up and spitting her out and chewing her up again.

Anyway, Madonna is hardly the first person who used her image and marketability to further her music career. Wasn't that Nancy Sinatra's claim to fame (and nepotism)? Also, wasn't that one of the reasons Diana Ross was pushed to the star role in the Supremes (that and sleeping with Barry Gordy)?

"They can't see her face on a record!" - Effie White in Dreamgirls after being told she had to be pushed to the background in favor of Deena Jones because Deena was more attractive for audiences.