PDA

View Full Version : Madonna loathes hydrangeas

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19

Dragonlady
09-15-2011, 08:28 PM
I pick up accents really quickly too and I freely admit I come back from the southern US with a drawl if I've been there for more than a couple of days. My family and friends have made fun of this in the past.

cruisin
09-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I would have thought it was obvious where she is from.

Apparently you are more omniscient than I am. I don't think it's obvious at all. Could she be from Italy and is griping about her country's politics? Yes. Could she be from somewhere else and just not like Italian politics? Yes, to that as well. So, I guess - where she is from - is as clear as mud.

VALuvsMKwan
09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Some of what is being discussed about changing accents is what I have heard called "code talking" - something like protective coloration with speech patterns.

When I am in my hometown in SE VA, a lot of my speech returns to that Southern, more "drawly" pattern because I hear friends and family speaking that way and my childhood speech "muscle memories" kick in as well.

I'll bet that when I go to my college homecoming in Williamsburg and meet old classmates there (from all over the country), my accent will flatten out considerably and I will probably speak with more precise consonants, because that is how my speech pattern developed due to contact with others who weren't just from VA, and also being in an academic setting which prizes clarity of speech and grammar. I find myself doing that also in unfamiliar business or social settings.

When I run into some of my old friends from the gay/drag clubs I ran around in during my 20's, our speech tends to get the "girrrl/Miss Thing" urban/black/gay lilt and patois of that period, because we were figuring out who we were as people then, and that speech pattern was part of our shared "tribal" culture.

Vagabond
09-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Apparently you are more omniscient than I am. I don't think it's obvious at all. Could she be from Italy and is griping about her country's politics? Yes. Could she be from somewhere else and just not like Italian politics? Yes, to that as well. So, I guess - where she is from - is as clear as mud.

Could she be infusing Italian syntax and spelling into her English? Yes. ;)

Nan
09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
My nephew falls in and out of accents like other people change their socks.(snip)
I really don't think he does it on purpose.

I did this a lot as a child and it was not on purpose. I think it was something similar to what is mentioned below.

Some of what is being discussed about changing accents is what I have heard called "code talking" - something like protective coloration with speech patterns.

I was told that people often do that as a way of making the person they are talking to feel more comfortable. It has something to do with "hearing yourself."

loulou
09-15-2011, 11:04 PM

You're seeing in my posts more politics than I intented to address.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough: when a western country loses free press and becomes more corrupted than Rwanda, dirt goes wider than just parlament.

why so much animosity.

I shared very few personal opinions, I mostly reported facts.
I wouldn't call that animosity: it's not my fault if they stink.

You said you visit Italy and that your roots are there: if you can share anything positive about how the country is currently doing, please, go ahead.

I'm done.

cruisin
09-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Could she be infusing Italian syntax and spelling into her English? Yes. ;)

Italian syntax is not dissimilar from most Latin based languages.

allezfred
09-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Could she be from somewhere else and just not like Italian politics?

:lol:

cruisin
09-16-2011, 12:08 AM
:lol:

That's, sort of, my response to all of the non-Americans who have so much to say about our politics and government.

MacMadame
09-16-2011, 05:10 AM
I'm done.

I hope you are BOTH done. Or take it to PM (as you've been asked to before).

(Though I suspect I hope in vain.)

allezfred
09-16-2011, 10:03 AM
That's, sort of, my response to all of the non-Americans who have so much to say about our politics and government.

People obviously find the topic interesting and the influence of the American government goes far beyond the 50 states.

Italian politics? Not so much. :lol:

Are you saying that non-Americans shouldn't be allowed comment on American politics? Because nobody said you couldn't comment about Italian politics.

cruisin
09-16-2011, 01:59 PM
People obviously find the topic interesting and the influence of the American government goes far beyond the 50 states.

Italian politics? Not so much. :lol:

The reason I asked her where she was from, was because I did not want to assume anything. Her comments, if she is from Italy, have a very different flavor than if she is not from Italy. I am sure that you understand that difference.

I may be somewhat sensitive to Italian bashing, due to the idiotic American TV shows that portray Italian-Americans as thugs, criminals, steroid taking morons, and women who dress like hookers. Jersey Shore, Jersey Housewives, The Sopranos, to name a few. There are people who actually believe that all people from NJ, who are of Italian heritage are like that.

And, since I adore Italy, would live there in a heartbeat, but for my family being here. I get defensive :).

Are you saying that non-Americans shouldn't be allowed comment on American politics? Because nobody said you couldn't comment about Italian politics.

Where did I say that? My point was that you thought it was amusing that I would not "know" that someone well versed, with strong opinions on Italian politics, was from Italy. Yet, non-Americans offer comments about our politics and government all of the time. So, the take away is, that you don't have to live somewhere to have strong opinions about the place, population, government.

allezfred
09-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Let's just say that loulou's opinion of Italian politics is a lot closer to what I have heard from real Italians.

Wyliefan
09-16-2011, 10:22 PM
So, how 'bout them hydrangeas? ;)

milanessa
09-16-2011, 10:25 PM
So, how 'bout them hydrangeas? ;)

They're purple!