PDA

View Full Version : Madonna loathes hydrangeas

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

cruisin
09-14-2011, 02:01 PM
loulou's remark was slightly cryptic but quite witty. While she was at the Venice Film Festival, Madonna called hydrangeas loathsome in her fake-Brit "royal" accent. So loulou quipped that it must not be hard to feel royal on Italian soil (due to her perception of Italy being pretty much of a mess as a country).

Yes, I forgot this happened at the Venice Film Festival.

Berlusconi has been elected by italians more than once, despite they knew from the very beginning he wasn't a honest man...
...Cruisin: if the face stinks, don't be angry at those who hold the mirror.
The first step to get better is indeed to address problems.
Italians need a wake up call, and it's becoming increasingly difficult between the state of the press, the state of corruption, the state of the government, and the general low education.

I'm not angry. But I do feel it's unfair to condemn an entire population for the wrong doings of a politician. I wonder what the voter turnout is for national elections in Italy. Yes, apathy is not an excuse. But, to some degree, I think that many Italians are more committed to the Vatican, rather than their government.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-14-2011, 06:33 PM
The reason it does come accross as fake is because when she's on stage performing and shouting at the crowd, there is no doubt that her accent goes back to "normal" which is without any shadow of a doubt American. The hoity-toy accent seems to come out particularly in interviews and press conferences.

I actually don't hear much of a difference except she's more in the moment and louder. Sure she might be playing a role, but I don't see why she would continue with a British accent if she's not really in the English scene after her divorce with Guy Ritchie.

Spartacus
09-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Vote for Beyoncé!!! PleasePleasePlease!!!!
http://gagadailyboards.com/showthread.php?t=58063

Norlite
09-14-2011, 06:43 PM
I really don't think Madonna's accent sounds that British or royal.

Me neither. :shuffle:

Nor do we.

loulou
09-14-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm not angry. But I do feel it's unfair to condemn an entire population for the wrong doings of a politician. I wonder what the voter turnout is for national elections in Italy. Yes, apathy is not an excuse. But, to some degree, I think that many Italians are more committed to the Vatican, rather than their government.

In the last national elections (2008), which Berlusconi won, voter turnout was 80.509%.
If that's any consolation to you, that was one of the lowest voter turnout since second world war. Still, high enough to well represent the entire population.

Italians are indeed highly committed to the Vatican.
The country gives to the Vatican four billion euros a year.
Politicians are well concerned about Church when it comes to specific laws.

For once, Italy forbids artificial insemination using a doner.
Any fertility treatment has to produce three eggs, and the three of them must be implanted, even if that means a fourty year woman is going to have to go through a pregnancy of triplets, with all the risks involved. If, for any reason, not all the eggs are implanted, those which aren't must be destroyed.
If one or both parents carry a genetic desease (say, thalassemia), the eggs cannot be screened before implantation to avoid implanting the sick ones.
I'll leave out omosexual issues or mandatory treatments to keep dying people alive: I'm pretty sure you understand the Middle Age isn't completely over.

But don't be fooled: dishonesty and the Vatican are not that distant (I'm being british here).
The Vatican Bank (IOR) has emerged in many scandals, including fraudolent bankruptcies, money recycles and mafia connections (I'm sure you've seen the God Father: the script was inspired).
Investigastions have always been stopped.
And once again, let's not speak about the fact that the Vatican protected his pedophiles until it was possible, and still hosts some of them, who would otherwise be arrested.

Berlusconi, if you wanna know, has always had an extremely good relation with the Vatican, expecially with the current Pope.
Even when it was clear that he was screwing 16 year old girls.
Two peas in a pod, for whatever reason you'd like to put there.

-- Italy is one of most spectacular countries in the world, which has all the means to pick itself up. Italians however, have become more and more dishonest. And they lost togetherness.

mkats
09-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Now I'm waiting for this thread to get moved to PI :shuffle:

my little pony
09-15-2011, 02:12 AM
my father is rolling in his grave because he isnt here to blame loulou's post on sicilians

cruisin
09-15-2011, 02:30 AM
-- Italy is one of most spectacular countries in the world, which has all the means to pick itself up. Italians however, have become more and more dishonest. And they lost togetherness.

Or they have given up. I still don't see the majority of Italians as dishonest, sorry.

Again, where are your from? You seem to have a lot of anger toward Italy.

my father is rolling in his grave because he isnt here to blame loulou's post on sicilians

:lol: Mine would be right there with him!

loulou
09-15-2011, 07:26 AM
I still don't see the majority of Italians as dishonest, sorry.

So they don't feel.
And yet, international well reputed organization that rank countries for a living, seem to think otherwise.
Weird, uh?

VIETgrlTerifa
09-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Two Italians who I don't particularly like currently serve as presidents in two of my favorite sports. Hint: one of the sports has a forum I frequently post on, while the other has a popular thread in the same forum. I wonder what Freedom House would say about those two governing bodies, ;).

cruisin
09-15-2011, 01:25 PM
So they don't feel.
And yet, international well reputed organization that rank countries for a living, seem to think otherwise.
Weird, uh?

Again, I'm curious to know where you are from and why so much animosity.

allezfred
09-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Again, I'm curious to know where you are from and why so much animosity.

I would have thought it was obvious where she is from.

aliceanne
09-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Just as a matter of interest, how do Americans feel about British people who move to the US and pick up an American accent? Do you find it fake and phony too?

What if you just happen to like a particular accent and choose to adopt it? I know people who have moved to an area because they want to be a part of that culture.

Dragonlady
09-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Just as a matter of interest, how do Americans feel about British people who move to the US and pick up an American accent? Do you find it fake and phony too?

I've seen negative comments about people who move to the Deep South and a week later are speaking with a southern drawl.

PDilemma
09-15-2011, 08:21 PM
I've seen negative comments about people who move to the Deep South and a week later are speaking with a southern drawl.

My nephew falls in and out of accents like other people change their socks. In Alabama, where he's lived for ten years, he sounds like he's a native. Back in the Midwest for 24 hours and he sounds like the rest of us. He was in Appalachia with us for my grandmother's funeral and in ten minutes sounded like all of our Appalachian relatives.

I really don't think he does it on purpose.