PDA

View Full Version : Oleg and Ludmilla Protopopov

Pages : 1 [2]

maureenfarone
09-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the link to the Protopopovs pictures. I remember them from the late 1960's and the Winter Olympics in 1968. They had such beautiful flow, edges and unison. They were a delight to watch.

FSWer
09-14-2011, 01:04 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/3390546218/

I found this. I think this is when they stared.

Yes yes, it's a typical Ozzisk8tr post...

Is that Lamilla and Orgo?

maureenfarone
09-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Is that Lamilla and Orgo?

No, that is an old photograph from about 1915 showing a Mr. and Mrs. Hobson on ice skates. He was a Congressman from Alabama for a few years.
I think it just an example of an "old" photograph.

Sylvia
09-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm posting the links to these 2 post-event articles here instead of in the earlier thread I started: Protopopovs to be honored in Sept. 3rd Lake Placid show by Selezneva/Makarov, Button (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79857)

Adirondack Daily Enterprise article (Sept. 6, 2011) - includes a photo of them on the ice: A fitting tribute: Lake Placid honors two-time gold medalists Oleg and Ludmila Protopopov (http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/526429/A-fitting-tribute.html?nav=5010)

As much respect as Button has for the Protopopovs, they have an equal amount of respect and admiration for him.

"Mr. Button was my idol when I was a boy," Oleg Protopopov said. "My mother brought me an American magazine with Mr. Button on the cover and I couldn't believe how well he extended and pointed his toes in the split jump position."

Oleg Protopopov added, "My mother said, 'you must be a better skater than him someday,' and it never happened."

Button replied that it did, and that they were an inspiration.

"After seeing the Protopopovs skate, I realized what beautiful form and quality truly meant," Button said.

Adirondack Almanack article (Sept. 6, 2011): Button, Protopov Reunite at Tribute (http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2011/09/protopopovs-dick-button-reunite-at.html)

The Protopopovs defected from the Soviet Union in 1979, becoming citizens of Switzerland. They divide their time between Switzerland, their winter home, and Lake Placid, where they skate from June until October in the Olympic Center.

Their eventual landing in Lake Placid was very sudden. In 1997, the Protopopovs found themselves in the Olympic town after being told of the excellent facilities.

“Our friends were telling us, ‘you must go to Lake Placid, they have beautiful ice arenas’”, said Ludmila Protopopov. “We also wanted to learn from Gus Lussi, who was coaching there. Unfortunately, he had passed away, but when we came to Lake Placid we stayed forever”.
Even after Oleg’s stroke in 2009, they continued skating. Only a few weeks after his stroke, the Protopopovs were seen at the rink, Ludmila Protopopov patiently helping Oleg to re-learn how to skate. Skating served as his rehabilitation, and the Protopopovs were well practiced enough to perform a short exhibition performance in the tribute show on September 3rd.

Why do they continue skating? Certainly the Protopopovs are legends, and can retire if they chose. When asked why they continue to skate, Ludmila stated it succinctly:

“I love the music, the flow. Skating is our life”.

FSWer
10-08-2013, 02:09 AM
Say,I saw some of their younger perfominces on U=Tube. But what I was able to find was all in another langage. Does anyone knnow of any of their younger performinces that are in english? Thanks.

Sylvia
10-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Bumping up this thread to add a video of their "Evening with Champions" performance from this past weekend:

Protopopovs were the first act after the intermission and got a nice standing ovation after they were done. Oleg hasn't been the same on ice since his stroke, but it was SO nice to have them on the ice. They've been a fixture at the show for decades. http://youtu.be/Z9ksPXmuLDU

leapfrogonice
10-08-2013, 02:14 AM
I would love it if someone who attending Evening with Champions had even a photo of them bowing. Bet they got a well deserved standing ovation for just being there, out on the ice. Legends.

Sylvia
10-08-2013, 02:23 AM
Say,I saw some of their younger perfominces on U=Tube. But what I was able to find was all in another langage. Does anyone knnow of any of their younger performinces that are in english? Thanks.
Here's a black and white video of the Protopopovs' 1968 Worlds long program (ABC Sports with Jim McKay and Dick Button): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy6Bp3NB-js

I hope you can now watch YouTube videos on your new computer, FSWer?

jiejie
10-08-2013, 02:39 AM
Here's a black and white video of the Protopopovs' 1968 Worlds long program (ABC Sports with Jim McKay and Dick Button): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy6Bp3NB-js

They are so enjoyable to watch, whatever era they are skating in. I was still a kid then but have vague memories of seeing this on our old B/W television. Ludmila's posture and back is so perfect that she could probably balance a tea set on her head, even in the lifts, and never spill a drop. :) Love their edges, too.

Susan M
10-08-2013, 08:21 PM
They used to participate in the Harvard Evening With Champions (AKA the Jimmy Fund) shows for years. Back in 1998, the required spiral in the pairs SP was an outside edge, and few of the current ladies had a very good position in their BODS, and your eventual OGM Kazakova could barely get down into this position at all. (I think Jenny Meno, Berezhnaya, and Abitbol had some of the better ones and Shen/Zhao dodged the problem by doing the riskier FODS.)

After watching that sorry display, I happened to watch the Protopopovs program from that year and even in her 60s, she easily got into a much lower and much prettier position than any (and I do mean *any*) of the then active pairs. Folks used to say she had ankles of steel.

She was actually his second partner. He had already medalled at USSR nationals with another partner before switching.

Vash01
10-09-2013, 05:13 PM
They used to participate in the Harvard Evening With Champions (AKA the Jimmy Fund) shows for years. Back in 1998, the required spiral in the pairs SP was an outside edge, and few of the current ladies had a very good position in their BODS, and your eventual OGM Kazakova could barely get down into this position at all. (I think Jenny Meno, Berezhnaya, and Abitbol had some of the better ones and Shen/Zhao dodged the problem by doing the riskier FODS.)

After watching that sorry display, I happened to watch the Protopopovs program from that year and even in her 60s, she easily got into a much lower and much prettier position than any (and I do mean *any*) of the then active pairs. Folks used to say she had ankles of steel.

She was actually his second partner. He had already medalled at USSR nationals with another partner before switching.

In their Ave Maria pro routine they did 3 DS's in a row, and each was done with perfection.

G&G had a very good BODS also.

Minou
10-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Please don't forget that a photo taken mid-20th century may not be available as a digital object. Images of high profile events/people are more likely to have been reformatted digitally. However, most are not. The quantity of images online is a fraction of what is extant in repositories and private collections. (For example, Corbis, possiblly the largest photography collection in the world, has digitized about 10%.) Check out some sports repositories online catalogs and I am sure you will find something...

Sylvia
10-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Protopopovs not letting age slow them down: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/10/62784856
Excerpt from the beginning of the article:

Fifty years ago next February, Ludmila Belousova and Oleg Protopopov won the first of their two Olympic gold medals. Theirs was the first Olympic gold medal in pairs won by the Soviet Union, starting a 42-year streak of Olympic gold by Soviet and Russian couples.

The Protopopovs teamed up as a pair in 1956 and married in 1957. They defected to Switzerland, where they still live, in 1979.

On Oct. 5 and 6, they performed at "An Evening with Champions" for the 22nd year. At 77 and 81, they no longer perform lifts or their signature death spirals, but they still have the grace and smoothness that have inspired generations of skaters.