PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Murphy to Host Oscar Broadcast (NOT)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Nan
09-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Hmph. He carried it even into the 80s.

The same people were still laughing at him. ;)

triple_toe
09-08-2011, 01:01 AM
There have been far too many "experiments" over the past ~15 years ... falling flat with too deadpan Letterman, too hateful Whoopi, too smug and referential Jon Stewart, and of course this year's underbaked duo.

Err... underbaked is not how I would have described James Franco at the Oscars. Quite the opposite in fact :hat1:

VIETgrlTerifa
09-08-2011, 08:02 AM
I think the problem with the Oscar telecast is that they want the show to be more relevant and "hip" but they have all these restrictions that end up sanitizing the host, so it almost doesn't matter who hosts. I remember how disappointed most people were when Chris Rock and Jon Stewart hosted because they obviously had to hold back on their biting humor. The first step is for the producers to step back (within reason) and allow the host to be himself/herself.

Despite thinking he's a hack of a director, I can see Brett Ratner allowing the Oscar telecast to be a bit...raunchier. I'm sure the Oscar telecast producers are willing to gamble with someone controversial put up with a few complaints about inappropriate behavior shown on television because that means the show would be somewhat entertaining and worthy morning-after conversation. It still boggles the mind how a show rewarding what is arguably the best in Hollywood entertainment can't seem to entertain people.

soxxy
11-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Eddie Murphy withdraws as Oscar host.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/oscars-eddie-murphy-exits-as-host/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

LOS ANGELES — Eddie Murphy is dropping out as the host of the Oscars telecast, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences said Wednesday, less than 24 hours after the show’s producer, Brett Ratner, stepped aside amid a storm of criticism over his use of an anti-gay slur. .

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/movies/eddie-murphy-drops-out-of-oscars-telecast.html?_r=1&hp

OliviaPug
11-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I vote for Hugh Jackman. He is so extraordinarily talented and funny and versatile.

O-

soxxy
11-09-2011, 07:34 PM
I vote for Hugh Jackman. He is so extraordinarily talented and funny and versatile.

O-

Hugh's booked through January 1 on Broadway.....not sure when Les Miz begins filming.

(Hugh signing autographs at the stage door, so hot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhuiaTRGZkk)

orbitz
11-09-2011, 07:42 PM
NPH, get your tux ready :)

OliviaPug
11-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Hugh's booked through January 1 on Broadway.....not sure when Les Miz begins filming.

(Hugh signing autographs at the stage door, so hot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhuiaTRGZkk)

Oh well.

Thanks for the link ... he is hot! :smokin:

O-

overedge
11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I don't know what kind of production agreements the previous hosts had, but if Murphy was apparently only willing to work with one director and no one else, that probably wouldn't have resulted in a good show. It could have deteriorated into host + director vs. everyone else.

It also looked like the Oscar gig was being positioned as part of his career-rebuilding comeback, so withdrawing from it may not be helpful to him in the future.

genevieve
11-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm bummed.

IceAlisa
11-09-2011, 09:52 PM
What?? They didn't invite James Franco back? :lol: He did a great impression of a zombie Oscar host.

peibeck
11-09-2011, 09:54 PM
What?? They didn't invite James Franco back? :lol: He did a great impression of a zombie Oscar host.

But that was only entertaining for Princess Leppard. (And not even then, as he ate no one's brain!) :P

znachki
11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
It's certainly been an intersting couple of days in AMPAS land. My choice for host is Robert Downey Jr. He always seems to be able to think on his feet. NPH would be good too. He's got experience with the Tony's and the Emmy's. Shoot he's working on becoming the EGOT host!

PeterG
11-09-2011, 10:28 PM
We're missing the first part of the story, where movie director (and formerly Oscar producer)... (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/11/brett-ratner-oscars-academy-awards.html)

...Brett Ratner said that “rehearsal is for fags” in a Q&A session after a screening of his new film, “Tower Heist”...

What would have happened if he had said "niggers" or "kikes" instead of "fags"? I'm getting tired of how people overlook some slurs whereas some are shocking. I decided to use the words (slurs) I just did because it is shocking to see them in print (and unsettling for posters like me to type out!!!).

The article goes on to say that on the same day that Ratner apologized, he went on the Howard Stern show to discuss (among other things):

...masturbation, cunnilingus, pubic hair, the size of his testicles, his sexual encounter with Lindsay Lohan and, just to be extra classy, how he sends women to his doctor to make sure they don't have any sexually transmitted diseases “before I go all the way” with them.

The article later asks that if the slur had been directed at other groups, that Ratner would have been fired so fast that he wouldn't have had time to resign from the job.

:mad: :angryfire :soapbox: :revenge:

I don't know what kind of production agreements the previous hosts had, but if Murphy was apparently only willing to work with one director and no one else, that probably wouldn't have resulted in a good show. It could have deteriorated into host + director vs. everyone else.

I read that Murphy said that they had a whole team working together, that everyone was working together as a group and when Ratner left, the whole team left.

However, Murphy has said lots of homophobic things throughout his career, so when I heard he was leaving, I figured the boys (homophobe) club were sticking together.

BigB08822
11-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Wasn't Murphy rumored to have been involved with a transexual? He's really one to judge...