PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

BigB08822
09-21-2011, 08:03 AM
I just watched a German movie from 2005 called Antibodies. It was quite amazing, to be honest. I highly recommend it. You can watch it on Netflix streaming at the moment. As I was watching I was thinking "this is quite predictable, but it sure is keeping my interest" and then it wasn't really that predictable after all. I don't want to give too much away but if you like a good murder mystery thriller then this is for you.

Rex
09-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Rex, you and I are "on the same wavelength".

I came here to post about "Penny Serenade"; such an underrated, moving film.
Grant and Dunne are wonderful; and Beulah Bondi, as well.
Keep tissues handy!

He got the first of his two Oscar noms for this....the second was for None But the Lonely Heart, which I have not seen. He pretty much played himself most of the time, but in films like Serenade, Notorious and a couple of others, he was quite capable of injecting nuance and pathos into his performances.

Nmsis
09-22-2011, 01:23 AM
For the thriller / action movies fans, here are two movies that are going to be released within 6-8 months that are absolutly great.

The first one is pure action, violent and spectacular. It's the indonesian film The Raid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM).
It's about a special intervention unit who attacks a building inhabited by a big drug gang.
It's meant to have a cult following because it's really impressive and unique in that it highlights the indonesian martial art of silat.

The second one is more of a thriller/action movie. It's the french film Nuit Blanche (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkxI75D3pvE) (Sleepless Night). It's an intense, sweaty, smart thriller about a corrupt cop who has stollen a few kilos of cocain from a drug smuggler. The bad guy kidnaps his son and asks him to bring the drug back to his (huge) night club. The movie is centered around the night club with many actors converging there (the drug dealer, other drug dealers, the crooked cop, the police internal affairs section and some others) and the situation going from bad to worse. (here is a review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK_QiPS-U58) of the movie by some guys who've seen it in Toronto last week).

Both movies (which have not been released yet, outside of film festivals) are being sold worldwide and already talked about for Hollywood remakes. It's almost a done deal for The Raid. Which might not be good news for american viewers as Sony is holding the american rights AND is negociating the remake rights. In the past, it has sometimes meant the distribution of the original film would be delayed until the remake was filmed and released on the american territory. That can be pretty long. And I wouldn't bet on the merits of the remake. :shuffle:

John 3 17
09-22-2011, 05:13 AM
He got the first of his two Oscar noms for this....the second was for None But the Lonely Heart, which I have not seen. He pretty much played himself most of the time, but in films like Serenade, Notorious and a couple of others, he was quite capable of injecting nuance and pathos into his performances.

I don't know if he "played himself most of the time", though. Grant's on-screen persona was debonair and suave and Grant said that in real life he was not suave and his idea of a good time was at the pub with bangers and mash :lol: I love him for that. I also love this quote from him:

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.

:lol:

-Bridget

Kruss
09-22-2011, 05:31 AM
You all are making me want to watch Arsenic & Old Lace, a movie I've never seen. :)

John 3 17
09-22-2011, 08:24 AM
You all are making me want to watch Arsenic & Old Lace, a movie I've never seen. :)

It's my favorite dark comedy! Grant is a riot in it and I always love Priscilla Lane. My other fave dark comedy is Murder He Says with Fred MacMurray.

-Bridget

DarrellH
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Saw Moneyball last night. More of a comedy than a drama, but was very good. Pitt as more of a character actor than as leading man.

emason
09-22-2011, 03:52 PM

I'm in the minority, I guess, but I actually prefer the stage version to the movie. Sure, it's a summer stock chestnut, but if done right, it is much funnier than the movie version.

mpal2
09-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Good choice. :) That's one of my two all-time favorites in old films. The other one is James Stewart in Harvey. I love that invisibible 6 foot + rabbit.

kwanette
09-23-2011, 01:19 AM
The Saint of Fort Washington (1993) Danny Glover and Matt Dillon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xze8m8Tiq4

Matt Dillon said that 11 people saw this film. Well, now 12 did. I loved it..and I cried.

Rex
09-23-2011, 01:27 AM
The Saint of Fort Washington (1993) Danny Glover and Matt Dillon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xze8m8Tiq4

Matt Dillon said that 11 people saw this film. Well, now 12 did. I loved it..and I cried.

This movie was so sad.

Vash01
09-23-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't know if this is out of place here, but I just got done watching the six episodes of Pride & Prejudice (Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle). I must have seen this in the past, but it was almost like watching it for the first time. I think this is the most perfect adaptation of Jane Austen's novel. I liked the minor changes made, to make it more complete (like Darcy going through his thoughts, fencing, swimming, etc.). The costumes, scenary (particularly Derbyshire) was beautiful. Both main characters were perfect in their roles (Mr.Darcy & Elizabeth). I hated the Hollywood version with Keira Knightly, and sort of modernization of the book, although that too had stunning visuals. Didn't care much for Bridget Jones Diary either, particularly the second one.

John 3 17
09-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I don't know if this is out of place here, but I just got done watching the six episodes of Pride & Prejudice (Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle). I must have seen this in the past, but it was almost like watching it for the first time. I think this is the most perfect adaptation of Jane Austen's novel. I liked the minor changes made, to make it more complete (like Darcy going through his thoughts, fencing, swimming, etc.). The costumes, scenary (particularly Derbyshire) was beautiful. Both main characters were perfect in their roles (Mr.Darcy & Elizabeth). I hated the Hollywood version with Keira Knightly, and sort of modernization of the book, although that too had stunning visuals. Didn't care much for Bridget Jones Diary either, particularly the second one.

ITA in every single way. It's one of my TOP favorite movies of all time. It's PERFECTION.

-Bridget

Rex
09-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Humoresque is On Demand. :inavoid:. I shouldn't care, as I have the DVD, but my DVD player is wonky lately. But I never get tired of the music and watching Joan Crawford take that nighttime swim....

my little pony
09-24-2011, 02:40 AM
it is criminal that the soundtrack is not available although nadja salerno sonnenberg covered the soundtrack or much of it on a cd once