PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

DarrellH
09-10-2011, 04:57 PM
We've been seeing Woody Harrelson and Lenny Kravitz around our city. They are in the area filming Hunger Games.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44460332

Wyliefan
09-10-2011, 05:08 PM
But the Holocaust movie that stayed with me the most was God on Trial. (OK, technically a made-for-TV film.) It's about a group of men at Auschwitz who, sensing it is their last night, hold a mock trial with God as the defendant. Unbelievably powerful stuff, and very definitely "Jewish."

Oh, I saw that. Very powerful.

Boy in the Striped Pajamas, as I think I've said here before, left me shattered. I went with a group, and afterward we were all unable to speak. No one said a word for something like five or ten minutes.

Fergus
09-10-2011, 05:22 PM
I chilled with my niece and nephew last night and watched "Paul". We all loved it. :) Kristen Wiig is completely awesome in so many ways, I so need to see "Bridesmaids" next.

BigB08822
09-10-2011, 06:31 PM
God on Trial sounds fascinating. It is not on Netflix though, shucks. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for it.

oleada
09-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Sep 9 - The Whale (documentary - wild killer whale befriends people on Vancouver Island)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Gm0wINeaU

I didn't know they were making a documentary about Luna! I have to see this. Does rfisher know about this?

Rex
09-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Watched The Big Chill this morning. Another film I can never get tired of watching. Then I watched Sophie's Choice. :fragile:

Cachoo
09-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Watched Fanboys for the first time--fun movie.

Rex
09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Yesterday I saw Contagion. It was not as good as I expected it to be, considering the amount of talent involved. An interesting idea poorly executed. I also watched An Education via On Demand this morning and I loved it.

Now I am watching The Clock with Judy Garland. This has to be my favorite Judy movie next to A Star is Born. I cannot believe that it didn't receive more attention that it did. Maybe because people were used to seeing her in musicals...

skatesindreams
09-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Now I am watching The Clock with Judy Garland. This has to be my favorite Judy movie next to A Star is Born. I cannot believe that it didn't receive more attention that it did. Maybe because people were used to seeing her in musicals...

It's also one of my favorites.
Judy was a wonderful actress.

Robert Walker was great in this, as well.

Rex
09-12-2011, 01:21 AM
It's also one of my favorites.
Judy was a wonderful actress.

Robert Walker was great in this, as well.

Yes he was. Pity his life was so short.

Just got back from Crazy, Stupid Love. This flick had two directors, and it showed - it had a disconnected feel to it - like I was switching channels between two movies. There is also a rather strange twist 3/4 through the film that throws the movie on its ear. But it also creates some funny moments. Steve Carrell and Ryan Gosling pretty much walk off with the movie tooo.

Nomad
09-12-2011, 02:58 AM
I watched The Letter (1929) five times this weekend. Herbert Marshall played a great cad and even though she was all over the place performance-wise, I was fascinated by Jeanne Eagels as Leslie Crosby.

overedge
09-12-2011, 03:18 AM
I chilled with my niece and nephew last night and watched "Paul". We all loved it. :) Kristen Wiig is completely awesome in so many ways, I so need to see "Bridesmaids" next.

I watched this last night. Why did this movie not get more attention? It's completely hilarious, and the special effects are excellent (and I am the last person on earth who would watch something that is a CGI-fest).

Anyone who liked "Galaxy Quest" would roll on the floor laughing at "Paul".

PeterG
09-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Watched a bunch of movies this last week, thought I'd give some brief reviews.

Dawn Anna (Debra Winger). This was a TV movie that won a bunch of Emmys, if I'm remembering correctly. And well deserved! Often I'll watch a bit of a movie, then go do other stuff, then return to it later, or even a few days later. But this one I had to watch from start to finish. Loved, loved, LOVED it!

Jackie Brown (Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, etc.) This one's been on my list of movies to see for a long time and who knew I could like a Quentin Tarantino movie THIS much? DEFINITELY his best ever.

Original Sin (Angelina Jolie & Antonio Banderas). I remember this one being heavily criticized, so my expectations were low. But I really liked it! Maybe people took it as a drama instead of a melodrama/thriller? I thought it was great fun. Plus I loved the tug-of-war. Angelina on screen: "She's the most beautiful person on the planet!" Then Antonio on screen: "No, HE is the most beautiful person on the planet!!" :lol:

Couples Retreat. Wasn't expecting much for this, it came out just before Vince Vaughn was defending his "that's so gay" schtick as the ultimate in comedy, so was surprised to find that I found it quite enjoyable. Plus I thougt it was going to be a self-help bashing movie, but the filmmakers were open to the fact that people can change for the better with some help. Worth a rental. :)

The Mission. Got the soundtrack from the library and decided I should re-watch the film. Couldn't remember it for the most part since my original viewing. It was good, great cast, but I think because I've heard the music so often in skating that I set my expectations so high that the movie couldn't live up to that.

Keith (Jesse McCartney). This is a movie I had never heard of, just grabbed it off the shelf at the library. A very small film which side-stepped most of the cliches one finds in a youth/coming-of-age story. Worth grabbing off the shelf if you see it at your library. ;)

The International (Clive Owen, Naomi Watts). Incredibly wordy. Sit up straight and pay attention. Turn the ringer off your phone and tell everyone in your household to leave you alone for two hours. Focus and report back whether everything they covered sunk in! :D

Karina1974
09-13-2011, 02:27 AM
In reality the Holocaust must have been so unspeakably horrifying (I did not experience it first hand, so I have to say "must have been") that I don't know how any movie could truly capture ALL of it. What the film industry has done is taken pieces of it and shown us how horrible those were, and let us extrapolate from that.

What about War and Remembrance? My father has the DVD box set that has the entire mini-series, and I've finally got around to watching it for myself (he also wants me to read the book, plus Winds of War). I just finished the first episode.

Dan Curtis was actually able to get permission to film inside Auschwitz, the only American film crew to be allowed to do so. Even Spielberg couldn't accomplish that for Schindler's List. And a lot of the extras for the camp scenes were actually Holocaust survivors who had been in the camps as children or young adults. It was said in the DVD bonus documentaries that the attention to detail on those scenes was so accurate (thanks to a Yugoslavian Associate Producer who himself was in Auschwitz as a teenager) that a lot of them felt like they were really back there and going through their experiences a second time.

He also got ABC to agree to show the camp scenes in their entirety, without censoring or editing (again, before Schindler's List was shown unedited on network TVin the late 1990's). He felt to do otherwise would be to trivialize what happened. I remember my father, who is a scholar of WWII because he lived through it, and his father fought in the Pacific (and the paternal side of his family is Jewish), saying to me to be prepared for what I was going to see, because it leaves nothing to the imagination.

Rex
09-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Jackie Brown (Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, etc.) This one's been on my list of movies to see for a long time and who knew I could like a Quentin Tarantino movie THIS much? DEFINITELY his best ever.
I certainly liked it better than the supremely overrated Pulp Fiction.

Original Sin (Angelina Jolie & Antonio Banderas). I remember this one being heavily criticized, so my expectations were low. But I really liked it! Maybe people took it as a drama instead of a melodrama/thriller? I thought it was great fun. Plus I loved the tug-of-war. Angelina on screen: "She's the most beautiful person on the planet!" Then Antonio on screen: "No, HE is the most beautiful person on the planet!!" :lol:
That movie was deep...I discover something different about it each time I watch it. There is a perversity about this movie; like the scene where Thomas Jane spits into Angelina's mouth, to prove that he owns her. it truly is twisted.