PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26

Kruss
11-06-2011, 02:48 AM
Another first for me in the old movie department - last night I saw "Some Like It Hot" for the first time. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

DarrellH
11-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Glad you liked it, Kruss! It is one great movie!

pat c
11-06-2011, 05:36 AM
^I've been trying to summon up the nerve to watch that for a few years now. It's come highly recommended to me and I feel like I *should* watch it, or at least read the book, but I never get up to actually doing it. Plus I love Malcolm McDowell, he was amazing in If... and O Lucky Man.

Tough call, it's well acted but a disturbing movie to watch. Casualties of War affected me the same way.

PeterG
11-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Four movies I've seen in the last little while (best to worst):

The Mist (starring Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden, Andre Braugher, Toby Jones and Frances Sternhagen) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhCKXJNGzN8) - For the most part, I really like this movie. However, there were two major flaws that kept me from raving about it for the next hour. I will spoiler those flaws in case this one is still on somebody's to see list...

I was fine with Marcia Gay Harden's over-the-top religious nut. But in the space of two days or so, she got most of the crowd going along with her crazy-ness? Way too unbelievable. Plus out of all those people, there weren't at least a few grounded Christians to kindly call her on all her confused sh** and make it clear that not all religious people are crazy? This made me made...and I'm an atheist!

The second flaw was how Jane kills off his group, then steps out of his truck and two minutes later, salvation walks into the frame. Really? Two minutes after he murders everybody??!!! :rolleyes:

I still recommend The Mist because I love the story, the pacing and direction are good and the effects are more than decent.

Thinner (starring a mostly unknown cast, but also Joe Montegna and Michael Constantine) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ese31eyL0) - A fairly decent offering of another Stephen King story, considering it came out when a lot of bad movies based on Stephen King were being made. (No surprise it got no Oscar nominations, though! :lol:) Numerous cartoony characterizations, but not-bad storytelling. A decent enough way to spend a rainy day inside. :)

Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCeV_oKPQ_A) - So bad that I scanned this movie at triple speed for almost all of it. But I had recorded it and thought I'd give it at least that much (that little?) attention! :D

Orphan (starring Vera Farmiga, Peter Sarsgaard, CCH Pounder and Margo Martindale) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywOPNNii9w) - The most vile piece of trash I can remember that has ever been put to film. Absolutely disgusting. And I was actually looking forward to this movie! I love Farmiga, and Sarsgaard has done good work. This, however, is a putrid piece of gargage. HATED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :soapbox: :angryfire

agalisgv
11-06-2011, 07:23 AM
I thought The Mist was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen :shuffle:

Just saw Tower Heist. Thought the scriptwriting was cringeworthy bad, but somehow the actors pulled it together despite that. The second half of the movie was definitely stronger than the first half IMO. Alan Alda played his character very well. Casey Affleck was just wasted in this movie. I felt sorry that he had to deliver such dialogue. A lot of strong actors in this movie, but they were shackeled by a bad script.

Buzz
11-06-2011, 11:03 AM
I am so sick of robbery movies where the thieves are all really nice guys and the victims really bad. They get away with the girl/guy and the money. There have been sooo many of these things. Cannot ever imagine any force that can make me go see Tower Heist.

Vash01
11-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I finally saw Rabbit Hole on DVD and loved it.

PeterG
11-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I am so sick of robbery movies where the thieves are all really nice guys and the victims really bad. They get away with the girl/guy and the money. There have been sooo many of these things. Cannot ever imagine any force that can make me go see Tower Heist.

But Tower Heist is about a rich guy who steals the workers pension money or something, right? And all they're trying to do is get back their own money?

I usually hate the type of movie you describe. They make me feel old and/or redneck ("just git a job, you loosers!!!"). :lol:

I finally saw Rabbit Hole on DVD and loved it.

Me too. I definitely recommend it. :)

Vash01
11-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I saw Ides of March today. Interesting movie. Ryan Gosling is swoon worthy:swoon:

I am not sure I understood the ending, or may be it was meant to be an open ended ending where you discuss what may happen next.

emason
11-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I saw Ides of March today. Interesting movie. Ryan Gosling is swoon worthy:swoon:

I am not sure I understood the ending, or may be it was meant to be an open ended ending where you discuss what may happen next.

Well, I saw it as Person X's ambition knows no bounds, X wants to be king(president)-maker and blackmails Y when the opportunity arises to get what he wants - control in the Oval Office.

What was your take?

Vash01
11-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Well, I saw it as Person X's ambition knows no bounds, X wants to be king(president)-maker and blackmails Y when the opportunity arises to get what he wants - control in the Oval Office.

What was your take?

Your read of the character is correct. X starts as a sincere, devoted, non-political guy, but in the end he becomes just like the others who are older and have played the game. He does not like playing the game, but once he is in it, he plays the same way.

SPOILERS (somewhat) ahead..................

In the end, when X is sitting there in the studio, I wondered if he was going to get back at M by exposing him, or was he going all the way to the White House, by helping him get elected.

Chances are the story about M cannot be a secret forever. At some point it's bound to come out and it could destroy his career. X seized the opportunity to further his own career by blackmailing, and succeeded, but will the media be fooled forever? How many politicians thought they can get away with anything, but in the end could not? Will that happen to M before the elections or after?

There are many questions to ask at the end. Sometimes I like open ended endings where there is no definite answer. Sometimes I wish they would just tell us what happened in the end. It's like the movie needs a sequel.

emason
11-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Your read of the character is correct. X starts as a sincere, devoted, non-political guy, but in the end he becomes just like the others who are older and have played the game.

Especially once he falls victim to one of their traps because of his inability to see the endgame at that moment. He's never going to let himself be in that position again.

I agree though that any number of things can happen down the line, just not at that moment, I think.

Mozart
11-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Has anyone seen Anonymous yet?

emason
11-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Has anyone seen Anonymous yet?

Yes, I saw it and loved it. I love a good costume drama and I love a good political thriller. I just didn't take the claims too seriously; I belong in the Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare camp.

I did think some of the computer effects were jarring at times, but other than that I had high old time wallowing in this.

Mozart
11-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Good. I'm going to see it in 1/2 hour and thought it looked like something I would like but haven't seen much about it.