PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26

Nell411
10-28-2011, 02:18 AM
I love Something Wild. Melaine (OMG I can't remember her last name at the moment) use to be really pretty then she found the joys of surgery :(

Griffith?

falling_dance
10-28-2011, 02:56 AM
Griffith?

Yes.

Buzz
10-28-2011, 01:45 PM
I want to see In Time today starring Justin Timberlake. I will let you guys know if it was any good. LOL

Rex
10-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Saw Melancholia last night with Kirsten Dunst, Alexander Skarsgard. Strange movie, but well-acted. It was on On Demand's "Same Day as Theaters" channel, so I said "why not". No way would I go out in the rain to see it, and it cost the same as going to the theater I guess....but it's not something I'd want to see again.

Kirsten should be very, very proud of her tatas.

Allen
10-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Saw Melancholia last night with Kirsten Dunst, Alexander Skarsgard. Strange movie, but well-acted. It was on On Demand's "Same Day as Theaters" channel, so I said "why not". No way would I go out in the rain to see it, and it cost the same as going to the theater I guess....but it's not something I'd want to see again.

Kirsten should be very, very proud of her tatas.

I liked Melancholia, but I was expecting to love it. Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg were fabulous. I will say that I didn't have the usual feeling of having my soul ripped out and stomped like I normally do after watching a Lars van Trier film. I do, however, think I might teach this film because I think van Trier is a really important director, but most of my students just hate his work and I found Melancholia to be a little more accessible.

Karina1974
10-30-2011, 04:24 PM
I recently got TCM back on my cable line-up quite unexpectedly.

I have TW Broadcast Basic (supposed to be just the first 25 channels or so), reduced down from Expanded Basic + Digital, which was $127/month together with my Road Runner. I couldn't afford that every month, and I wasn't watching enough TV to justify throwing that kind of $$ away. So I reduced my service down last December.

So... last weekend I was channel surfing and I notice that I'm seeing channels that I haven't been able to watch for almost a year. It was all of the Expanded Basic channels. I hadn't told TW that I wanted EB, and I was anxious to see my next bill, because I was going to call and raise Holy Hell on them if the bill was higher than the $56.99 I've been paying, because that would mean that they had made a change in my service that I had NOT requested or approved.

Well... I just saw my bill for November (and with TW it's pay-in-advance), and it's still $56.99, only I'm getting twice as many channels as before. I wonder, with FIOS coming into my area, if they are upping the number of channels on that BB tier in an attempt to keep customers. It makes my head spin to be getting that many channels for just $9.00/month, and I wonder how long that is going to last. As long as my bill stays where it is I'm not saying shit, because TCM was the ONE channel I regretted losing when I made that change last year.

In the meantime, I am doing the Happy Dance over getting my beloved TCM back. They are the one of the very few channels that hasn't (yet) strayed from the original reason for why that channel started to begin with, unlike AMC, Court TV (what's with the truTV bullshit?!), NatGeo (should be called The Prison Network from what I've seen of their line-up in the past week alone), GameShow Network and TV Land, to name a sorry few. Can't wait to see the horror movie documentary with Steven King tomorrow night - saw the preview for it last night. :) :respec:

Rex
10-30-2011, 07:36 PM
I liked Melancholia, but I was expecting to love it. Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg were fabulous. I will say that I didn't have the usual feeling of having my soul ripped out and stomped like I normally do after watching a Lars van Trier film. I do, however, think I might teach this film because I think van Trier is a really important director, but most of my students just hate his work and I found Melancholia to be a little more accessible.

I remembered Gainsbourg from The City of Your Final Destination - a surprisingly good film (Laura Linney being in it only helped more). I'm into apocalyptic films like Testament, On The Beach, The Road, etc, so I was expecting something along those lines. I should have guessed with those unusual opening credits that it wouldn't be that kind of film. But out of curiosity, I'll watch another one of his films so I can look for consistencies...

Allen
10-30-2011, 08:04 PM
I remembered Gainsbourg from The City of Your Final Destination - a surprisingly good film (Laura Linney being in it only helped more). I'm into apocalyptic films like Testament, On The Beach, The Road, etc, so I was expecting something along those lines. I should have guessed with those unusual opening credits that it wouldn't be that kind of film. But out of curiosity, I'll watch another one of his films so I can look for consistencies...

Dogville is probably the next most accessible besides Melancholia. Dancer in the Dark is great, but extremely bleak. Bjork is fabulous in it though. Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but it's really hard to get through, even with Emily Watson's amazing performance. Antichrist is unwatchable as far as I'm concerned.

Rex
10-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Dogville is probably the next most accessible besides Melancholia. Dancer in the Dark is great, but extremely bleak. Bjork is fabulous in it though. Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but it's really hard to get through, even with Emily Watson's amazing performance. Antichrist is unwatchable as far as I'm concerned.

He helmed Breaking the Waves? I have always wanted to see that.

BTW, what is the music played in Melancholia - I have heard it before and cannot think of the name? I know you know.

orientalplane
10-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Breaking the Waves is one of the best movies I've ever seen, but it's really hard to get through, even with Emily Watson's amazing performance.

Yes, it's tough viewing all right, but an astonishingly brave film. Emily Watson's performance is truly remarkable.

Allen
10-30-2011, 08:48 PM
He helmed Breaking the Waves? I have always wanted to see that.

BTW, what is the music played in Melancholia - I have heard it before and cannot think of the name? I know you know.

The only thing I'm remembering music wise was from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

Breaking the Waves is incredible, but it's also incredibly bleak. I stopped showing it in classes because my students hated it so much.

Rex
10-30-2011, 09:05 PM
The only thing I'm remembering music wise was from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

Breaking the Waves is incredible, but it's also incredibly bleak. I stopped showing it in classes because my students hated it so much.

Okay, now I have to see it.

agalisgv
10-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Saw In Time. Absolutely loved it. Some reviews said the movie lost its way with unnecessary chase scenes and the like. I couldn't disagree more. This movie is not focused on action, but rather the implications of a society structured around exchange of time.

Now, the obvious metaphor was time standing in for money. But what made the movie powerful was using time to clearly show the life and death consequences of "wealth" (here measured in time) concentrated in so few hands.

Anyhow, I thought it was a great blend of though-provoking narrative, good direction, strong acting, and suitable tension sustained throughout.

Buzz
10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
I had the opposite reaction. I hated it. Boring and stupid. While the idea behind it was interesting and certainly different, the movie cease to be watchable after about 20 minutes and most of what is worth watching was in the trailer.

Artemis@BC
10-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Saw two under-the-radar films this weekend. The first was Queen to Play (originally titled Joueuse in French). Working class woman learns to play chess -- chess as a metaphor for life. Ok, it's better than that, but still only a mediocre film overall. But Sandrine Bonnaire is wonderful, a perfection in understatement, and watching Kevin Kline act in French is worth the price of admission.

The second was Beautiful Boy. About two parents living the aftermath of a college shooting. One word: heartwrenching. Maria Bello and Michael Sheen are two of my favourite actors, and they were both completely brilliant in this.