PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

DarrellH
10-21-2011, 03:05 AM
Just got back. Tucker & Dale vs Evil was hilarious! I don't think I've laughed that hard, for that long, in a long time!

PeterG
10-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Movies seen this past week (or two), from INCREDIBLE to...okay...

Limitless (Bradley Cooper, Robert Deniro and Abbie Cornish) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THE_hhk1Gzc) - Loved, loved, LOVED this movie! :cheer: :D :cheer2: AMAZING script, with every aspect of the film done well. The DVD has an alternate ending, and boy, did they every choose the right one for the theatrical release! Get this one, now!!!

The Fighter (Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams and Melissa Leo) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71l-kIhJ5j8) - Producer did a great job of surrounding himself by incredible talent (in front of and behind the camera) which more than made up for Wahlberg the producer hiring Wahlberg the actor for the lead role. :lol: Mark was fine here, but he was out-acted by every single other person in the film, including the extras! :D A great movie, still.

The Runaways (Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning, Michael Shannon and Tatum O'Neal) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHpEJ749TRM) - I have wanted to see this for so long (even though it just came out last year)! And I wanted to rate it higher than the Fighter, but that one was just a better movie. I like this movie, but the script was flawed in that it seemed to miss so many important parts of the story. One big flaw was that Lita Ford was hardly mentioned. Well, if she had faded into obscurity I could see her being ignored, but she went on to release seven albums, with one of those going platinum. If you like rocker chicks like I do, give this one a shot.

Sanctum (Ioan Gruffudd and Rhys Wakefield, executive-produced by James Cameron) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaZHjv3ASfw) - I read recently that this was a piece of garbage, so I set my sights low! That said, I thought it was fine. An okay way to spend an evening. Just hope that Gruffudd got a nice paycheque for this, considering he must have directly himself (and poorly at that)!

The Haunting Of Molly Hartley (Chace Crawford, Jake Weber and Haley Bennett) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IICI7g3jMGI) - One to watch when you've got nothing else to do. Not bad, just not great, either. What surprised me most about this movie about how simple the story was. There's one plotline, the movie sticks to it and then it ends. Movies nowadays have so many twists, turns and surprises...but not this one!

Cheylana
10-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Just finished Hereafter with Matt Damon. Meh... The description said it was a supernatural thriller. :confused: It was barely supernatural and completely unthrilling.
I got dragged to that while it was in the theater. Meh is the perfect word for it. Disappointing considering it's an Eastwood film.

Cheylana
10-22-2011, 07:31 AM
The Fighter (Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams and Melissa Leo) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71l-kIhJ5j8) - Producer did a great job of surrounding himself by incredible talent (in front of and behind the camera) which more than made up for Wahlberg the producer hiring Wahlberg the actor for the lead role. :lol: Mark was fine here, but he was out-acted by every single other person in the film, including the extras! :D A great movie, still.
This was a good movie, although I watched it behind my fingers (I hate seeing people get hit in the face, gah!). Nice to see Amy Adams in a role other than quirky-cute. Agree Wahlberg was out-acted, lol.

Buzz
10-22-2011, 11:26 AM
The Haunting of Molly Hartley sounds right up my alley. I will most certainly be giving it a look see. :D

orientalplane
10-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I saw 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' yesterday. Gary Oldman was excellent as Smiley. It was obviously simplified to fit it into two hours, but still a :kickass: film.

PeterG
10-23-2011, 05:27 AM
The Haunting of Molly Hartley sounds right up my alley. I will most certainly be giving it a look see. :D

:(

Insomnia acting up again?

;)

VALuvsMKwan
10-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Oh definitely. Although Brush Up Your Shakespeare has always been my favourite. When I first saw the movie I had just started reading Shakespeare and I started with Taming of the Shrew. We watched Kiss Me Kate shortly after I finished the play. I've been in love with the movie ever since. Especially after my dad explained the connection between Kiss Me Kate and John Wayne's McLintock, which has long been a favourite in my family.

Love both KMK and McLintock!

BTW, many may not realize that KMK was filmed in the 1950's version of 3-D, but I don't believe that it was ever shown that way commercially at the time. It was shown at a 3-D vintage film festival within the last few years, however.

gingercrush
10-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Grrrr watched Scream 4 yesterday. I didn't have very high hopes. But I thought there would at least be one or two decent kills. It was bloody awful :( No scary moments whatsoever, awful killings. The twist was the only thing that made it partly watchable. But it wasn't enough. I just wish they didn't make it at all.

Scream 1 was fab. Scream 2 had some great moments and as good as any sequel can really be. Scream 3 was a bit boring but at least a few kills were decent and there was Parker Posey. Scream 4 didn't offer anything :(

Oh and god forbid but I actually like Still I know What you did last summer.

Buzz
10-23-2011, 12:59 PM
:(

Insomnia acting up again?

;)

LOL It never really went anywhere...

galaxygirl
10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Movies seen this past week (or two), from INCREDIBLE to...okay...

The Haunting Of Molly Hartley (Chace Crawford, Jake Weber and Haley Bennett) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IICI7g3jMGI) - One to watch when you've got nothing else to do. Not bad, just not great, either. What surprised me most about this movie about how simple the story was. There's one plotline, the movie sticks to it and then it ends. Movies nowadays have so many twists, turns and surprises...but not this one!

This is good for those lazy Sunday afternoons when, for some reason, there is no L&O: SVU marathon on anywhere.

I got dragged to that while it was in the theater. Meh is the perfect word for it. Disappointing considering it's an Eastwood film.

I didn't know who directed this when I put it in my queue (or at least I had forgotten by the time I got the DVD) so I was very surprised to see that Eastwood had directed it.

I saw 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' yesterday. Gary Oldman was excellent as Smiley. It was obviously simplified to fit it into two hours, but still a :kickass: film.

Just put that in my Netflix queue. Thanks!

PeterG
10-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Just got back from Paranormal Activity 3. LOOOOOOVED IT!!! I loved the first two as well, and I enjoyed the third installment as much as the previous two. Can't wait for more! :D

Apparently I'm not alone in enjoying this one...

'Paranormal Activity 3' scares up a record-setting opening with $54 million at the box office (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/paranormal-activity-3-scares-huge-opening-54m-box-154611420.html)

A few quotes from that article:

The third film in Paramount Pictures' low-budget fright franchise, which was No. 1 at the box office, had the biggest debut ever for a horror movie, according to Sunday studio estimates. It broke the previous record part two set a year ago with $40.7 million.

It's also the biggest opening ever for an October release, topping the $50.35 million Paramount's "Jackass 3D" made last year.

Much (scary) fun! :lol:

Cupid
10-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I saw it Friday night. These movies don't scare me. They are entertaining and it's interesting how the audience over-reacts. Caught the matinee so it was definitely worth the price!

PeterG
10-27-2011, 07:25 PM
From the Cineplex magazine I got when I went to see Paranormal Activity 3:

Stephen King's new book. 11/22/63, about a teacher who goes back in time to prevent the Kennedy assassination, hasn't even been released yet, but director Jonathan Demme has signed on to write, produce and direct the movie adaptation.

Demme is the director of Philadelphia, The Silence of the Lambs, Something Wild and Rachel Getting Married. Could be good! :)

gingercrush
10-28-2011, 02:02 AM
I love Something Wild. Melaine (OMG I can't remember her last name at the moment) use to be really pretty then she found the joys of surgery :(