PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Karina1974
10-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Can't say that I have. Who is in it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destination_Moon_(film)

John Archer as Jim Barnes
Warner Anderson as Dr. Charles Cargraves
Tom Powers as General Thayer
Dick Wesson as Joe Sweeney
Erin O'Brien-Moore as Emily Cargraves

Destination Moon (1950) is an American science fiction feature film produced by George Pal, who later produced When Worlds Collide, The War of the Worlds, and The Time Machine. Pal commissioned the script by James O'Hanlon and Rip Van Ronkel. The film was directed by Irving Pichel, was shot in Technicolor and was distributed in the USA by Eagle-Lion Classics.

It was the first major science-fiction film produced in the United States to deal realistically with the prospect of space travel. Science-fiction writer Robert A. Heinlein contributed significantly to the script and served as a technical adviser. Heinlein also published a novella, Destination Moon, based on the screenplay.

The film was promoted through an unprecedented onslaught of publicity in the print media. Seven years before Sputnik, 19 years before the actual moon landing, the movie clearly spells out a rationale for the space race: unnamed enemies (clearly understood at the time to be the Soviets) are sabotaging the American space program, and unless the West beats them to the moon, they will establish a strategic advantage to conquer the world.

Kruss
10-16-2011, 07:46 PM
I watched Kiss Me Kate last night. It's one of my favourite musicals. I love the songs Too Darn Hot and Brush Up Your Shakespeare.

Love love LOVE that movie! I could watch Anne Miller dance all day.

Nell411
10-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Love love LOVE that movie! I could watch Anne Miller dance all day.

Definitely. That's a big part of why I love Too Darn Hot so much.

Kruss
10-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Definitely. That's a big part of why I love Too Darn Hot so much.

I also love the Bob Fosse/Carol Haney number at the end.

And who doesn't love, "I Hate Men"?? :lol:

Nell411
10-17-2011, 03:11 AM
I also love the Bob Fosse/Carol Haney number at the end.

And who doesn't love, "I Hate Men"?? :lol:

Oh definitely. Although Brush Up Your Shakespeare has always been my favourite. When I first saw the movie I had just started reading Shakespeare and I started with Taming of the Shrew. We watched Kiss Me Kate shortly after I finished the play. I've been in love with the movie ever since. Especially after my dad explained the connection between Kiss Me Kate and John Wayne's McLintock, which has long been a favourite in my family.

Artemis@BC
10-17-2011, 06:10 PM
I forgot how much I love The Shawshank Redemption...one of my favorite movies evah....haven't seen TGM, so I can't say. But I hated Christine, Maximum Overdrive, Silver Bullet and was not too fond of either version of The Shining. The Stand wasn't too bad, but it was not memorable.

ITA with all of that (except that I have seen The Green Mile, and thought it was great).

Add to the list of ones I hated: It, Cujo, The Running Man, Apt Pupil, and The Dead Zone (TV series).

But add to the list of reallygood adaptations: Misery and Delores Claiborne. The latter was very different from the book, but it still worked. Of course having the fabulous Kathy Bates in both films helped make them good, but I also think that King's "psychological" books make better films than his out-and-out horror books. (Mind you, I also think his psychological thrillers make better books!)

And I actually thought Firestarter wasn't bad. Not great, but not terrible.

Artemis@BC
10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Oh definitely. Although Brush Up Your Shakespeare has always been my favourite. When I first saw the movie I had just started reading Shakespeare and I started with Taming of the Shrew. We watched Kiss Me Kate shortly after I finished the play. I've been in love with the movie ever since.

I do still love the movie -- Cole Porter is one of my favourite composers ever -- but I have to really work hard to keep my "remember the time in which it was written" setting on. So many of the lyrics are cringe-inducingly sexist, particularly in "Brush Up Your Shakespeare." But in a weird way it makes even more sense given the Shakespeare context of the play -- i.e., Taming of the Shrew -- so you could argue that Porter was just mirroring Shakespeare. Anyway, like I say, I just put that aside and enjoy it for what it is: a clever film with fabulous music.

Artemis@BC
10-17-2011, 06:20 PM
My movie viewing this weekend included Longford, an HBO film about a British lord of the same name who was active in prisoner rights and prison reform. It stars the always fabulous Jim Broadbent in the title role, and focusses on his work with a notorious child killer, played by Samantha Morton. Yet another great biopic, as I've come to expect from HBO.

(It's from 2006 but I don't get HBO, and my library just acquired the DVD.)

TygerLily
10-17-2011, 09:30 PM
There's the 27th Haifa festival right now, and I went to "Never Let Me Go".

Somehow I was not surprised that the novel it's based on, was written by a Japanese :lol:
But the movie is good, I think, if you don't try to look for some deep meanings in it.I liked the book a lot better than the film, and would argue that the book went into deep places. Then again, my experience with the film was completely altered having read the book. I went with a friend who'd only read the first chapter of the book and she loved it a lot more than I did.

I mainly found it a relief to be allowed to hate Keira Knightly. Usually we're supposed to like the characters she plays, but I find her do off-putting that I don't.

peibeck
10-17-2011, 09:46 PM
I saw "The Ides of March" late last week, and lurved Ryan Gosling and Paul Giamatti in it. Philip Seymour Hoffman was good too, but kind of wasted for the most part.

I'm hoping to get to see "The Artist," "Shame," and "The Descendants" next month in film festival releases. :rollin:

gingercrush
10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
OMG OMG OMG The Last Unicorn being remastered and released in theatres next year. Please, please, please come to New Zealand.

I love that movie so much and I still cry when all the unicorns come out of the water at the end.

DarrellH
10-19-2011, 10:09 PM
One of our theaters in town is having a single showing of Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. It looks like it will be pretty good.

PeterG
10-20-2011, 01:30 AM
One of our theaters in town is having a single showing of Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. It looks like it will be pretty good.

I thought that one looked so funny. My friend just invited me out to go see a movie for my birthday, and I was going to put that at the top of the list. But I checked the theatre listings, and it's not playing anywhere here!! :wuzrobbed

galaxygirl
10-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Just finished Hereafter with Matt Damon. Meh... The description said it was a supernatural thriller. :confused: It was barely supernatural and completely unthrilling.

DarrellH
10-20-2011, 01:08 PM
I thought that one looked so funny. My friend just invited me out to go see a movie for my birthday, and I was going to put that at the top of the list. But I checked the theatre listings, and it's not playing anywhere here!! :wuzrobbed

I just read that it goes into wider release on the 30th.