PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Vash01
10-15-2011, 01:14 AM
I have not seen any of these horror movies, or I may not be able to sleep for months at a time:lol:

I liked Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile because I did not see them as 'horror' movies.

Cyn
10-15-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm sorry Cyn. I forgot how much I love The Shawshank Redemption...one of my favorite movies evah....haven't seen TGM, so I can't say.

TSS rocks, and if you liked it, get thyself a copy of TGM (it's at Wally World for five bucks, so you should be able to find if for around that much if you refuse to shop there) and WATCH. IT. as it is A-MA-ZING - everything from the script (which is strongly loyal to the book), to the cast (every last character, but esp. Hanks and Michael Clark Duncan), the editing, directing, the musical score - is absolutely stellar.

As someone who supports The Death Penalty in this country and is an agnostic, it really made me stop and think. I love movies that do that - they may not necessarily change my mind or POV, but if one inspires or compels personal reflection, introspection, or for me to further research factual information to affirm my beliefs or bring cause for debate or challenge to them, it will usually receive a thumbs-up from me.

But I hated Christine, Maximum Overdrive, Silver Bullet and was not too fond of either version of The Shining. The Stand wasn't too bad, but it was not memorable.

Ugh, those horror movies you cited (minus the Kubrick version of The Shining, which when I was 13, scared the living shit out of me) all suck - I tried watching Christine and Silver Bullet when they came out on video but gave up for their stupidity. I read Pet Cemetary, which was okay, nothing spectacular IMO, but the movie? Utter tripe.

I have not seen any of these horror movies, or I may not be able to sleep for months at a time:lol:

Carrie is absolutely tame by today's standards of what constitutes horror movies - it was made in '76, and other than the editing of a few curse words (I don't even think there was an F-bomb in it, only 3-4 "dumb shits" and perhaps a "GD") and the opening sequence, which takes place in the girl's gym showers of a HS (there's no gratuitous nudity - the location of the scene is necessary and true to the book to generate the beginning of the story), that's all they remove for network/cable television broadcasting. If you read my post about it, it is much, much more than a horror flick, and as King's first book (published IIRC in 1974), it definitely shows that he was capable of much more, particularly weaving various themes and ideas of the human experience and emotion within his books. There is very little gore in it - far less than The Silence of the Lambs. It's definitely creates and builds suspense, and there's a psychological aspect to it (though different from Hitchcock's psychological thrillers), but it's also a drama and (as posted upthread) a tragedy - there's a sadness to it, especially if you really dive into the character of Carrie White and what leads to the climax of the movie.

I will say, though, that if you *really* don't like horror movies because of the shock value/gore effects/scare-the-shit-out-of-you aspect of them, read the book, as the details within it as well as it's epistolary structure take it even further away from the horror genre (though it's classified as such). Plus, as a book, it's damn goooooood :lol:.

I liked Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile because I did not see them as 'horror' movies.

That is because they aren't - they don't even come close to being in the Horror genre :) - going back to Carrie for a moment, the scene of the execution of Eduard Delacroix in The Green Mile is way more disturbing (IMO) than anything in Carrie.

….Damn, now I think I'm going to pull out my DVD of TGM and pop it in. Perfect for a Friday night at home by myself (and definitely better than The Shining, which is how I watched it for the first time when I was 13 :scream: :lol: ).

Grannyfan
10-15-2011, 01:57 AM
That is because they aren't - they don't even come close to being in the Horror genre :) - going back to Carrie for a moment, the scene of the execution of Eduard Delacroix in The Green Mile is way more disturbing (IMO) than anything in Carrie.

I watched The Green Mile in the theater when it first came out. I had read reviews and knew when the execution scene was coming, so I spent that time in the lobby. It was on AMC a few nights ago, and they left the scene in. I didn't watch, but hearing was bad enough. It seemed to go on forever.

Cyn
10-15-2011, 02:24 AM
I watched The Green Mile in the theater when it first came out. I had read reviews and knew when the execution scene was coming, so I spent that time in the lobby. It was on AMC a few nights ago, and they left the scene in. I didn't watch, but hearing was bad enough. It seemed to go on forever.

Until I got the DVD, I had only seen TGM on Bravo or AMC (of which, if they're showing the whole rather than the edited-down execution scene, that is a change they've made in the last few months), so I had never seen the unedited version and was terrified of what it was like. I guess I'm kind of kooky when it comes to horror flicks - for me, it's one thing, say, to watch Friday the 13th and see Jason kill someone instantly (that being the operative word) with an axe, but scenes in any movie involving a person or any type of animal suffering prolonged, agonizing, physical torture either on its own or while dying, completely flips my shit and stays in my head far too long. For that reason, I will not Saw/its sequels or any other movies with gratuitous suffering like that.

In TGM, even the edited execution scene drags on for a while. I will say that I finally screwed up my nerve and found an unedited clip of it on youtube and watched it through my fingers :o. What I found was that the audio of that scene is IMO far more disturbing than the video, so go figure.

Grannyfan
10-15-2011, 02:58 AM
Until I got the DVD, I had only seen TGM on Bravo or AMC (of which, if they're showing the whole rather than the edited-down execution scene, that is a change they've made in the last few months), so I had never seen the unedited version and was terrified of what it was like. I guess I'm kind of kooky when it comes to horror flicks - for me, it's one thing, say, to watch Friday the 13th and see Jason kill someone instantly (that being the operative word) with an axe, but scenes in any movie involving a person or any type of animal suffering prolonged, agonizing, physical torture either on its own or while dying, completely flips my shit and stays in my head far too long. For that reason, I will not Saw/its sequels or any other movies with gratuitous suffering like that.

In TGM, even the edited execution scene drags on for a while. I will say that I finally screwed up my nerve and found an unedited clip of it on youtube and watched it through my fingers :o. What I found was that the audio of that scene is IMO far more disturbing than the video, so go figure.

It may have been the edited version they showed. Since I've never watched the original I don't know the difference. This one was plenty. I have always been very impressionable concerning violence in movies. When I was just a kid I saw a movie called Something of Value. I remember nothing about it except that somewhere in the storyline was a Mau Mau uprising, with rampaging Mau Mau, machetes, etc. This was back in the 50's, so I'm sure it was mild, but it scared me to death. To this day, I never ever watch a movie without reading about it beforehand, and I stay away completely if it sounds too violent. If there's one especially bad scene that I have warning about in a recommended movie, I'll go to the lobby.

PeterG
10-15-2011, 03:49 AM
My favourite Stephen King movies:

1. Carrie
2. Misery
3. Dolores Claiborne
4. Shawshank Redemption
5. The Green Mile
6. 1408
7. Cujo
8. The Dark Half
9. Secret Window
10. Hearts In Atlantis
11. Dreamcatcher
12. Christine
13. The Shining

I have yet to see Stand By Me, The Mist or Apt Pupil. And maybe one day I'll see The Running Man.

They might be making a new mini-series of The Stand, which I would love to see. I'd like to see a good version of The Tommyknockers. And Cell could make for an amazing miniseries.

Vash01
10-15-2011, 06:42 AM

I saw the movie in a theater. I liked the movie, but I closed my eyes during the execution scene. I do that whenever there is something horrible on the screen. Other examples of this- 127 hours ('that' scene), No country for old men (more than half the movie:lol:) and so on. Now you know why I don't go to see horror movies.:lol:

Buzz
10-15-2011, 12:52 PM
That is quite the list Peter! I forgot that Stephen had such a prolific movie profile. LOL

Rex
10-15-2011, 03:38 PM
TSS rocks, and if you liked it, get thyself a copy of TGM (it's at Wally World for five bucks, so you should be able to find if for around that much if you refuse to shop there) and WATCH. IT. as it is A-MA-ZING - everything from the script (which is strongly loyal to the book), to the cast (every last character, but esp. Hanks and Michael Clark Duncan), the editing, directing, the musical score - is absolutely stellar.

As someone who supports The Death Penalty in this country and is an agnostic, it really made me stop and think. I love movies that do that - they may not necessarily change my mind or POV, but if one inspires or compels personal reflection, introspection, or for me to further research factual information to affirm my beliefs or bring cause for debate or challenge to them, it will usually receive a thumbs-up from me. Thanks, Cyn. I'll put it on my "to see" list then.

Ugh, those horror movies you cited (minus the Kubrick version of The Shining, which when I was 13, scared the living shit out of me) all suck - I tried watching Christine and Silver Bullet when they came out on video but gave up for their stupidity. I read Pet Cemetary, which was okay, nothing spectacular IMO, but the movie? Utter tripe.

Carrie is absolutely tame by today's standards of what constitutes horror movies - it was made in '76, and other than the editing of a few curse words (I don't even think there was an F-bomb in it, only 3-4 "dumb shits" and perhaps a "GD") and the opening sequence, which takes place in the girl's gym showers of a HS (there's no gratuitous nudity - the location of the scene is necessary and true to the book to generate the beginning of the story), that's all they remove for network/cable television broadcasting. If you read my post about it, it is much, much more than a horror flick, and as King's first book (published IIRC in 1974), it definitely shows that he was capable of much more, particularly weaving various themes and ideas of the human experience and emotion within his books. There is very little gore in it - far less than The Silence of the Lambs. It's definitely creates and builds suspense, and there's a psychological aspect to it (though different from Hitchcock's psychological thrillers), but it's also a drama and (as posted upthread) a tragedy - there's a sadness to it, especially if you really dive into the character of Carrie White and what leads to the climax of the movie.

I will say, though, that if you *really* don't like horror movies because of the shock value/gore effects/scare-the-shit-out-of-you aspect of them, read the book, as the details within it as well as it's epistolary structure take it even further away from the horror genre (though it's classified as such). Plus, as a book, it's damn goooooood :lol:.

Sissy Spacek's performance made Carrie even better than it was. A good portion of the novel was gutted and changed, but that is okay, it was still a great movie.

PeterG
10-15-2011, 08:11 PM
That is quite the list Peter! I forgot that Stephen had such a prolific movie profile. LOL

Wikipedia is your friend. :D And mine!!! :lol:

Karina1974
10-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Today's scifi is leagues beyond what was made back in the 50's. I prefer the remake of The Blob to the original - for real. But when it comes to melodramas and the like, I prefer some of the older movies.

Ever see a film called Destination Moon? It's one of my dad's favorites, and predicts with startling accuracy how the first moon landing actually turned out, when the film was made about 20 years earlier.

Nell411
10-16-2011, 01:58 AM
I watched Kiss Me Kate last night. It's one of my favourite musicals. I love the songs Too Darn Hot and Brush Up Your Shakespeare.

Andrey aka Pushkin
10-16-2011, 02:05 AM
There's the 27th Haifa festival right now, and I went to "Never Let Me Go".

Somehow I was not surprised that the novel it's based on, was written by a Japanese :lol:
But the movie is good, I think, if you don't try to look for some deep meanings in it.

Rex
10-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Ever see a film called Destination Moon? It's one of my dad's favorites, and predicts with startling accuracy how the first moon landing actually turned out, when the film was made about 20 years earlier.

Can't say that I have. Who is in it?

PeterG
10-16-2011, 05:43 AM
There's the 27th Haifa festival right now, and I went to "Never Let Me Go".

Somehow I was not surprised that the novel it's based on, was written by a Japanese :lol:
But the movie is good, I think, if you don't try to look for some deep meanings in it.

Loved that movie!! :cheer2: