PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

ice dance
10-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Hey!!!! Vash was just asking a question! No need for that! LOL j/k (couldn't resist)
Lol! ;)

Cyn
10-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Saw The Exorcist. That was better than I remembered. I've found rewatching old movies, they often aren't that great compared to movies today :shuffle:. The Exorcist IMO was one of the few that was still good however many years later.

The Exorcist is one of the few movies that, almost 40 years later, still scares the bejeezus out of me. Whenever I've rewatched it, I've had to leave a hall or bathroom light on that night when I went to sleep :shuffle: :lol:.

The sequels and prequel to it were, unfortunately, awful (much like the movies related to Silence of the Lambs and Jaws).

Speaking of, Jaws is another one I find that still holds up after all these years - ever since seeing it back in the 70s, I've been squeamish about going swimming in the ocean. That's a big improvement over how paranoid I was after the first time I saw it - I fought my mother tooth and nail about taking a bath for about a week because I was convinced a Great White shark was going to come out of the spigot :rofl: (ridiculous, I know, but the imagination of an 8 year old can be rather vivid)….

BigB08822
10-13-2011, 01:56 AM
When I was young I would have trouble sleeping after watching Jaws. Why? I was sure a shark could come get me, even in my house well inland from the beach. I was even afraid to get down from my bed because I thought one might be waiting under my bed. :lol:

LadyNit
10-13-2011, 03:18 AM
When I was young I would have trouble sleeping after watching Jaws. Why? I was sure a shark could come get me, even in my house well inland from the beach. I was even afraid to get down from my bed because I thought one might be waiting under my bed. :lol:

knock-knock-knock: LAND SHARK!!!!

Ancient silliness from SNL. :lol:

Wyliefan
10-13-2011, 05:30 AM
I've found rewatching old movies, they often aren't that great compared to movies today :shuffle:

Depends on the genre. Today's sci-fi is generally (not always, but generally) better done because the special effects are so much better. But 99 times out of 100, yesterday's rom-coms are better. Especially the heroines.

DarrellH
10-13-2011, 11:45 AM

Ancient silliness from SNL. :lol:

Candygram

PeterG
10-13-2011, 11:18 PM

Candygram

:rofl:

DarrellH
10-14-2011, 05:30 PM
The Heiress was on TCM this morning. Started watching it while getting ready for work. It made me a little late for work.

Rex
10-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Depends on the genre. Today's sci-fi is generally (not always, but generally) better done because the special effects are so much better. But 99 times out of 100, yesterday's rom-coms are better. Especially the heroines.

Today's scifi is leagues beyond what was made back in the 50's. I prefer the remake of The Blob to the original - for real. But when it comes to melodramas and the like, I prefer some of the older movies.

DarrellH
10-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Today's scifi is leagues beyond what was made back in the 50's. I prefer the remake of The Blob to the original - for real. But when it comes to melodramas and the like, I prefer some of the older movies.

Some of the old Sci-fi movies become unintentionally comical due to increades technology. Classics, like Forbidden Planet, still manage to hold up well.
It's like any category that becomes popular, for every good movie that comes out, dozens of bad copycats are released to muddy the water.

galaxygirl
10-14-2011, 07:37 PM
The Exorcist is one of the few movies that, almost 40 years later, still scares the bejeezus out of me. Whenever I've rewatched it, I've had to leave a hall or bathroom light on that night when I went to sleep :shuffle: :lol:.

I love movies like that. Another one for me was Event Horizon, at least the first few times I saw it.

Cyn
10-14-2011, 11:54 PM

I love movies like that. Another one for me was Event Horizon, at least the first few times I saw it.

:respec:

Last night, the original Carrie was on, and I watched it - twice (thanks, insomnia!! :rolleyes: ) after having not seen since I was in high school. The book is probably my favorite one of Stephen King's in the Horror genre, and I forgot just how damn good a job Brian DePalma (director), Sissy Spacek, and Piper Laurie (oh hell, the entire cast) did with such a small budget and the crappy SFX of the mid-70's. DePalma did a great job of taking the ideas, imagery, and imagination of the book and conveying them on the screen.

While it's classified as a horror movie, it's so much more, specifically a Greek Tragedy, complete with the Tragic Hero, that takes the Cinderella/Ugly Duckling Fairy Tales and turns them into an ill-fated tale of misunderstanding and vengeance.

I'll take the likes of this over Paranormal State(s), the Saw movies, and all of the other complete crap that passes for the Horror movies churned out by Hollywood any day of the week.

Now, if only Rosemary's Baby is on TV some time in the next couple of weeks…..

ETA: This morning I watched Some Like It Hot on TCM - that movie never gets old for me, and while I was getting MiniCyn ready for Homecoming, The Goodbye Girl, which I hadn't seen in decades, was on TCM as well - I didn't realize how good that movie was (of course, when I saw it in the theatre, I was all of 10 and didn't "get" half of what it was about :o….nice to see it from an adult POV).

Rex
10-15-2011, 12:22 AM
^^Carrie rocked. The only film adaptation of one of King's novels that I liked. The original, not the wretched TV remake.

Cyn
10-15-2011, 12:44 AM
^^Carrie rocked. The only film adaptation of one of King's novels that I liked. The original, not the wretched TV remake.

:eek: You didn't like The Green Mile? It's not a horror movie, but it is one of my absolute favorite adaptations of Stephen King's work (though it was originally a serial novel before being published as a complete, individual one) and one of my all-time favorite movies (as well as Tom Hank's performances).

Even though it was a novella, I also really like Stand By Me.

As for the remake of Carrie, I didn't even bother. It is supposed to be truer to the book except for (spoilered in case there is anyone here who hasn't read the book, seen the movie(s), or knows the pop culture lore what happens) the ridonkulous ending in which Carrie survived - I read that they changed the ending as there was a pilot for a TV series based on her/her abilities being bandied about that was thankfully never picked up..

I also never bothered with Carrie II: The Rage as I thought another movie based on a "Carrie-like" character similar to the original was stupid and a complete rip-off of the true, one book.

Rex
10-15-2011, 12:55 AM
:eek: You didn't like The Green Mile? It's not a horror movie, but it is one of my absolute favorite adaptations of Stephen King's work (though it was originally a serial novel before being published as a complete, individual one) and one of my all-time favorite movies (as well as Tom Hank's performances).

Even though it was a novella, I also really like Stand By Me.

As for the remake of Carrie, I didn't even bother. It is supposed to be truer to the book except for (spoilered in case there is anyone here who hasn't read the book, seen the movie(s), or knows the pop culture lore what happens) the ridonkulous ending in which Carrie survived - I read that they changed the ending as there was a pilot for a TV series based on her/her abilities being bandied about that was thankfully never picked up..

I also never bothered with Carrie II: The Rage as I thought another movie based on a "Carrie-like" character similar to the original was stupid and a complete rip-off of the true, one book.
I'm sorry Cyn. I forgot how much I love The Shawshank Redemption...one of my favorite movies evah....haven't seen TGM, so I can't say. But I hated Christine, Maximum Overdrive, Silver Bullet and was not too fond of either version of The Shining. The Stand wasn't too bad, but it was not memorable.