PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

HeatherC
10-11-2011, 01:35 AM
It honestly has nothing to do with the character he's playing. My friends think it would look cooler if it was Wolverine beating up robots. I think they are just trying to find a way to burn the atrocity that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine out of their heads.

LOL! Glad I never saw that movie if it was that bad! :P

Nell411
10-11-2011, 03:13 AM
LOL! Glad I never saw that movie if it was that bad! :P

It was brutal. Even worse considering I ended up seeing it twice in one day. It's worse when you're a fan of the comics. It pretty much butchered the whole thing.

Grannyfan
10-11-2011, 03:18 AM
TCM alert for anyone who likes Ray Milland and ghost stories - The Uninvited is on tonight at 9:15 ET.

Love that movie. Beautiful music, too--Stella by Starlight.

PeterG
10-11-2011, 03:47 AM
Who wrote this? The same guy who wrote The Turner Diaries?

In Entertainment Weekly, it says that Jeff Goldsmith is adapting the script, but it's based on a novel by Harry Harrison. Wikipedia says of the original novel...

It centers around a racist colonel, Wesley McCulloch and his black pursuer, Troy Harmon.

Before long, Harmon comes to the conclusion McCulloch has used a secret experimental time machine to try and change the outcome of the American Civil War, giving victory to the Confederacy through the introduction of the easily produced Sten Gun. Harmon determines he must follow McCulloch into the past to bring justice. During the ensuing chase, Harmon discovers first-hand the prejudices of the people at the time.

This sounds very different from the short blurb in EW in that Harmon, not McCulloch is the hero. Whew. Still a gross idea for a story, though...

Rex
10-11-2011, 04:02 AM
^^^Maybe they can make something decent out of it? Nahhhh.

DarrellH
10-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Watched one of my favorite old movies this weekend...Portrait Of Jennie. Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten! Once you buy into the premise of the film, it is a haunting film.

Rex
10-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Watched one of my favorite old movies this weekend...Portrait Of Jennie. Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten! Once you buy into the premise of the film, it is a haunting film.

Ahhhh, Jennifer....acting lessons from Our Lady of The Fluttery Mannerisms, but cheekbones that could cut glass :glamor:.

ice dance
10-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Saw the remake of Footloose a couple of days ago. Loved it! It is pretty much a scene-by-scene remake of the original.

agalisgv
10-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Saw a bunch of stuff--all low-brow :saint:

Memoirs of a Geisha was interesting. Better in some respects than I thought, but worse in others. Was visually appealing though.

Watched Charley. That was way worse than I remember. I was terribly disappointed.

Saw The Exorcist. That was better than I remembered. I've found rewatching old movies, they often aren't that great compared to movies today :shuffle:. The Exorcist IMO was one of the few that was still good however many years later.

Watched a bunch of sci-fi flicks. The Core was panned, but I liked it well enough. Obviously unrealistic in terms of being able to travel to the core of the earth and back in a ship that could withstand 9,000 degree temperatures, but it still worked for me.

District 9 was very different than I expected. It's an alien movie shot in South Africa where aliens simply become the latest immigrant group, and are systematically discriminated against in apartheid fashion. The movie is shot like a documentary with a lot of hand-held camera work, so it has a Cloverfield feel to it. It's not an adrenaline rush kind of movie, but it does make you think. If you compare it to The Fly, it's interesting that the lead character loses his humanity as he transforms into another species in The Fly, while in District 9 he gains his humanity. Again, it's rather dispassionate (like Contagion), but tries to examine what having aliens would look like realistically if they were to become part of the earth's population.

Battle: Los Angeles also got mixed reviews, but I quite liked it. Here the aliens are clearly hostile, but like District 9, the movie tries to show how a battle with aliens would look like with today's technology. So the action scenes aren't other worldly or one big CGI-fest. I thought the military unit followed throughout was compelling without being overly sentimental. It is definitely a military movie though (sans gore), so if you don't like seeing military patriotism in the course of battle, this may not be for you. Overall, I don't really get the negative reviews for this movie.

Saw Running Man again. Was disappointing (not as good as I remembered).

Oh yeah, and I saw Babylon 5 sequel. Very low budget. Bit disappointing, but reminiscent of the old Twilight Zone series that were big on dialogue and plot twists arising out of that. Since it touched on theological questions, it was okay. But I suspect for others it would be rather boring.

Not that there are many Babylon 5 fans to begin with :shuffle:

Vash01
10-12-2011, 06:29 AM
I saw a part of a movie about gymnastics, with Jeff Bridges as the coach. The girls rebel against the (unfair) judges and get 0.0's intentionally. Does anyone know the title of the movie? I would like to rent it.

ice dance
10-12-2011, 09:29 AM
I saw a part of a movie about gymnastics, with Jeff Bridges as the coach. The girls rebel against the (unfair) judges and get 0.0's intentionally. Does anyone know the title of the movie? I would like to rent it.
Stick It. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430634/)

DarrellH
10-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Stick It. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430634/)

Hey!!!! Vash was just asking a question! No need for that! LOL j/k (couldn't resist)

PeterG
10-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Horror movie fans... Ever seen a movie where someone's cell phone did not work? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZVcRccCx0) This montage is both brilliant and hilarious!!! :lol:

I've found rewatching old movies, they often aren't that great compared to movies today :shuffle:

I go through the TV Guide to see which old movies I might want to watch. Then check out their trailer on youtube...and those original trailers are often. I've passed on watching so many "classics" because the old trailers make them look awful. Wonder why the movie studios don't make new trailers, it would be pretty simple to do...

Buzz
10-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Watched "Vanishing On 7th Street" and while it was not as bad as I feared given how fast it reach PPV, it could have been better. They never explained how the whole thing got started and neither exactly what was the "terror" that had them all disappearing. The ending was also fearly predictable conisdering the tone of the movie, but still not a total wash out.

Vash01
10-12-2011, 09:37 PM
I always avoid horror movies. October is the worst month for movies, for people like me.