PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Rex
10-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Just saw 50/50 and really, really liked it. In fact I would go back and see it today. The youngest guy on 3rd Rock From The Sun was in it. That was a sitcom I had almost forgotten about and some probably never heard of. I liked him then and now. It was a warm and funny and slightly sad look into the world of cancer and imperfect people. I say slightly because I do cry in movies and not everyone does.

Joseph Gordon Levitt is an amazing actor. I saw him in Mysterious Skin and was so impressed.

Vash01
10-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Joseph Gordon Levitt is an amazing actor. I saw him in Mysterious Skin and was so impressed.

He was also in Inception.

PeterG
10-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Joseph Gordon Levitt is an amazing actor.

You know that if Joseph Gordon Levitt is in a movie, it will be good. (Or if it's not good, it will be interesting!) :respec:

oleada
10-02-2011, 02:06 AM
I love pretty much love everything Joseph Gordon Levitt has done. (500) Days of Summer is one of my favorite movies, and as Rex said, he does a great job in Mysterious Skin. And after watching some clip about how he cries when he watches Dumbo, I'm pretty much sure that we're soulmates.

DarrellH
10-02-2011, 03:11 AM
I saw 50/50 a few weeks ago in an early showing. It was wonderful. JGL is a terrific actor.

BigB08822
10-02-2011, 03:13 AM
I am not another JGL fan. He is really good and I feel certain he has an Oscar or two in his future. He is also can sing quite well and speaks French pretty fluently. :swoon:

Does anyone know how to tell when a movie will leave theaters? I want to see Straw Dogs but with the huge assignments/tests I have this week I think I would be best off waiting another week to go see it. I assume it will still be in theaters next weekend but with my luck, it wont.

Allen
10-02-2011, 03:33 AM

Mysterious Skin is such an amazing movie, but I have a really hard time getting through it. It's one of the few movies that I cry every time I see it. JGL was amazing in that movie, quite possibly his best performance. I also love him in Brick.

Wyliefan
10-02-2011, 03:45 AM
I don't expect The Three Musketeers to be all that great, but I'm going anyway. Matthew Macfadyen, the things I do for you . . .

Oh, and I've got to Netflix the first Johnny English so I can go see the second. I love Rowan Atkinson.

Vash01
10-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Just finished watching The Terminal. Very improbable, but great entertainment. Tom Hanks carried the movie as always, and the supporting cast was good too.

Karina1974
10-02-2011, 05:51 AM
The combined miniseries (not "mini" at all actually, probably longer than many actual failed planned series) is ASTONISHINGLY faithful to Wouk's books, which are each long and complex. I have never seen anything else even come close.

Of course they would be, considering that Wouk co-wrote the screenplays for both WOW and WAR. Dan Curtis even says in the Making Of WOW that when there was a question about anything, he would say to Wouk that the book was the Bible of the miniseries, and they would go by the book.

I saw the network broadcasts, and the one thing that was even mildly softened during those telecasts in the early 1990's (on over-the-air network TV) was when Natalie was ready to service a German prison guard to save the life of her young son, who also witnessed her actions. Even then it was only bits of filthy, racist, sexist commentary by the guards that were obscured (not bleeped really), but if even if you hadn't read the book, her crawling across the floor on her knees towards the soldier really conveys the intent of the scene and how utterly desperate she was to do anything to protect her child. I was floored that they let that in, but it really was essential dramatically to show that bit of horror to illustrate the dehumanization of the camps (and the amorality of those who ran them).

I finished watching War and Remembrance on Thursday, and I took the DVDs back to my parents' house (both DVD sets I watched for WOW and WAR belong to my father, who also has both books in 1970's-era printings). He and I started discussing my thoughts about WAR (I had watched WOW several times, but this was my first viewing of WAR).

We ended up watching the scene where Aaron is talking to the Theresianstadt Jews about Job, during the clandestine temple service. There are only two times in my life when I have seen my father cry. The first time was at the memorial-burial 18 years ago after his mother passed away suddenly (my grandfather passed away 2 years before that). Tonight was the second, when we watched that scene. He said that scene, as well as some others from WAR, should be required viewing for every high school student (and even younger to a certain point).

I really want to read the books now.

Buzz
10-02-2011, 05:57 AM
I LOVED those series! But Natalie is the most annoying character ever written. LOL

PeterG
10-02-2011, 06:41 AM
Does anyone know how to tell when a movie will leave theaters? I want to see Straw Dogs but with the huge assignments/tests I have this week I think I would be best off waiting another week to go see it. I assume it will still be in theaters next weekend but with my luck, it wont.

Straw Dogs debuted at #5, then fell to #9 and with four new movies opening this weekend, it might fall out of the top 15. It's taken in less than 10 million in 10 days, so it looks like a flop. I like the-numbers.com (http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/thisweek.php) for box office stats. If something is still in the top 10, I know the local theatres will still be playing it for a few weeks. If you live in a big city, it'll probably play a few more weeks and if you have only a few theatres available...get thee to a theatre!!!

Vash01
10-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Just got back from seeing Moneyball. Loved it!

Saw the trailer of JEdgar. Looks like an interesting movie, with Leo in it.

PeterG
10-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I am not another JGL fan.

:(

Why do you not like him?

Rex
10-02-2011, 10:57 PM
You know that if Joseph Gordon Levitt is in a movie, it will be good. (Or if it's not good, it will be interesting!) :respec:

Mysterious Skin is such an amazing movie, but I have a really hard time getting through it. It's one of the few movies that I cry every time I see it. JGL was amazing in that movie, quite possibly his best performance. I also love him in Brick.

The subject matter is so vile and so disturbing, it's hard not to get through that movie without feeling something.