PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Rex
09-24-2011, 02:44 AM
Really? Maybe it's on Pirate Bay...

my little pony
09-24-2011, 02:45 AM
the original or the cover version? the cover version is on itunes

Kruss
09-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Well, I watched Arsenic & Old Lace tonight. It was cute. Probably won't watch it again, but I did enjoy it.

PeterG
09-24-2011, 07:26 AM
My Mom told me today about the time she met Bing Crosby and Myrna Loy. I was :eek: and asked, "which other famous people have you met that you never told me about??!!"

Bing Crosby is from Spokane, WA, and just north of there is Cranbrook, BC where Mom graduated from high school. Before their graduation, people were talking about how Bing Crosby was in the local watering hole and someone said, "we should invite him to our graduation"! So Mom actually went down to the pub and invited him. He said, "I just got back from a day of fishing, I don't think I'd be presentable at your event!" So he kindly declined.

She met Myrna Loy at the border crossing and said she looked "homely". I said, "I just watched 'The Thin Man' recently and don't remember anyone looking homely in that movie!" So she clarified by saying she looked like any regular woman you might meet. Guess she was comparing her to some of the "pin-up" types of that time...

Plus she told me a bit more about the time she met Anthony Quinn at a cafe in California. She said that he looked familiar to her, but couldn't place him. He asked where she was from, and she said "British Columbia". He said, "do you know Prince Rupert?" Mom said yes, and Quinn said he was from an Indian tribe from there (he's from Chihuahua, Mexico). Anyway, he kept pulling her leg the whole time and when he left, someone who worked there said, "you didn't know that was Anthony Quinn???" :lol:

Well, I watched Arsenic & Old Lace tonight. It was cute. Probably won't watch it again, but I did enjoy it.

So I'm not the only person who didn't think it was the best movie ever? ;)

Buzz
09-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for sharing Peter. :) Yesterday I saw Moneyball and word to the wise, if you are not a baseball fan, you should probaly not go and see this movie. And I am not a fan. It is a nice movie however but not sure why they thought that there was enough material for a movie there.

Cachoo
09-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't know if this is out of place here, but I just got done watching the six episodes of Pride & Prejudice (Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle). I must have seen this in the past, but it was almost like watching it for the first time. I think this is the most perfect adaptation of Jane Austen's novel. I liked the minor changes made, to make it more complete (like Darcy going through his thoughts, fencing, swimming, etc.). The costumes, scenary (particularly Derbyshire) was beautiful. Both main characters were perfect in their roles (Mr.Darcy & Elizabeth). I hated the Hollywood version with Keira Knightly, and sort of modernization of the book, although that too had stunning visuals. Didn't care much for Bridget Jones Diary either, particularly the second one.

I liked the second P and P and Bridget but I LOVED this. A book that good deserves more than a two hour movie. One two hour movie I loved was "Persuasion" with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. And Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet were two of my favorite actresses and I was delighted by "Sense and Sensibility" though Emma was considered too old. I didn't care then and I don't care now. I wish Jane had lived a long life with dozens of books....oh well.

Vash01
09-25-2011, 03:28 AM
I liked Sense and Sensibility also. I am rather neutral toward Pesuasion. I never saw Emma. Definitely the 6-episode Pride & Prejudice beats all Jan Austen movies i have seen.

Artemis@BC
09-26-2011, 05:54 PM
... One two hour movie I loved was "Persuasion" with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. ...

Yes! This adaptation was perfect in every way, despite being only 2 hours long. Persuasion is my favourite of the Austen novels, and I think Amanda Root captured Anne to a T.

Artemis@BC
09-26-2011, 05:57 PM
I got Hanna from the library this weekend. It's not the type of movie I would normally go for but a. I really like Saoirse Ronan and b. the screenwriter is a friend of a friend of a friend. Well, I liked it a lot. Visually stunning (esp. the opening scenes in the frozen wilderness), excellent acting (except for Cate Blanchett's accent, but I'll forgive her for that because she's perfect in everything else she does), and a tightly written and fast-moving plot. Great entertainment.

Vash01
09-26-2011, 07:05 PM
I got Hanna from the library this weekend. It's not the type of movie I would normally go for but a. I really like Saoirse Ronan and b. the screenwriter is a friend of a friend of a friend. Well, I liked it a lot. Visually stunning (esp. the opening scenes in the frozen wilderness), excellent acting (except for Cate Blanchett's accent, but I'll forgive her for that because she's perfect in everything else she does), and a tightly written and fast-moving plot. Great entertainment.

I saw Hanna in theatre earlier this year. Like you, it's not the kind of movie I go for, but I was glad that I saw it. IMO Saoirse Ronan deserves an Oscar nomination for this. I liked the movie too. Yes, it was visually stunning- particularly on the big screen-, and the acting was good, and it had a story that was interesting...improbable, but great entertainment.

May I recommend to you 'The way back' (not 'the way back home' which is I think a foreign film)? That too has Saoirse and stunning visuals from Russia, China and India.

Cachoo
09-26-2011, 09:59 PM
I watched and liked a film called "The Other Woman" with Natalie Portman and Lisa Kudrow. And though the characters were often unsympathetic I was riveted. Too often I think Kudrow is thought of only for her comedic talent but there is nothing funny about her character and her portrayal in this film and I thought she was fantastic. Portman was wonderful as well.

DarrellH
09-26-2011, 10:07 PM
I've seen the previews for Dream House a lot lately. It might just be me, but something doesn't feel right about it. Sometimes a preview gives you all the good stuff to get you in, then the rest is just meh. Hope I'm wrong.

emason
09-27-2011, 12:35 AM
I've seen the previews for Dream House a lot lately. It might just be me, but something doesn't feel right about it. Sometimes a preview gives you all the good stuff to get you in, then the rest is just meh. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't think you are. There are some awful trailers out there; as soon as you see them you know you've seen the whole movie. This strikes me as one of those.

Andrushka
09-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I have to say I think Colin Firth is my favorite Mr.Darcy.And I've seen several versions of Pride and Prejudice.

It's not on the list but I hear that Gerard Butler's new movie "Machine Gun Preacher" is very very good.

Buzz
09-28-2011, 04:34 PM
To my eternal shame I saw Abduction yesterday starring Taylor Lautner. To start with the name has nothing what so ever to do with the actual movie. Now I love a good cheesy movie but this batch of cheese was rancid. Young Mr Lautner cannot act at all plus the movie is just plain terrible. It has the feel of something filmed with a camcorder by a bunch of high school kids who never wrote a movie script before. This movie is terrible so I do not recommend anyone go to see it!