PDA

View Full Version : Who is Johnny talking about?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

dinakt
09-23-2011, 11:14 PM
I just feel that reading/posting on a skating forum is so nerdy and unusual in the first place, that it surprises me there are a lot of people who only go halfway.
:D

LOL. I often spend hours per day here, on youtube, on icenetwork plus Russian TV during the season, and still sometimes miss somebody interesting. Numi, pieta. It's a vast ocean of skaters out there, especially if one follows all disciplines, and includes Juniors :D
But back to the topic- Hanyu is very impressive this year. I had my reservations about his Zigeunerweisen, but he seems more deliberate and grown in expression this year. And he's just 16. And that 3A is out-of-this- world beautiful. So, interesting Japanese Nationals are upon us. If I had to predict, I would predict Hanyu moving into top 3- though no idea who would be left behind... My vote would be Oda, though I'd feel bad for him at the same time. But I'd feel worse for others.

Screenie
09-23-2011, 11:43 PM
@Ziggy (whom I love), the problem with that line of thinking is that everything is relative - so in theory someone could say the same thing about your posts.

Just think of whoever you imagine is the most knowledgeable about figure skating (let's just say Frank Carroll, as an example). He would probably think everything posted here is "preliminary girls" level of knowledge, whether about competitors, or things that happen in the skating world (I imagine him getting calls from people at the USFSA or ISU and knowing the inside story whenever anything happens - e.g. naming of the skaters to internationals, who's doing well at what moment / who's injured / switching coaches, etc, why a certain skater doesn't do well in competitions or isn't improving, why did MK really withdraw from the 2006 Olympics :EVILLE: , etc.).

Actually there is a theory in psychology of "egocentrism" that basically says that under a certain age, children assume that whatever they know/see, everyone else does, too. From wikipedia: "For example, if a child sees that there is candy in a box, he assumes that someone else walking into the room also knows that there is candy in that box. He implicitly reasons that "since I know it, you know it too". " I think we're all guilty of not being able to see others' perspectives perfectly.

:skandal:

FTnoona
09-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Hanyu won nebelhorn trophy, beating out Michal Brezina for the gold :D
SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlhklHXqNtk&feature=channel_video_title
FS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ypPK2KSGM&feature=channel_video_title

Too bad about the quads in both the sp and fs.

Iceman
09-26-2011, 03:51 PM
I wonder if this skater made Johnny make a final decision about returning to competition.

Vash01
09-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Hanyu won nebelhorn trophy, beating out Michal Brezina for the gold :D
SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlhklHXqNtk&feature=channel_video_title
FS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ypPK2KSGM&feature=channel_video_title

Too bad about the quads in both the sp and fs.

It just goes to show how tough it is to deliver under competition pressure.

I wish Hanyu a bright future. I remember that at age 16, Takeshi Honda seemed to have a great promise, but he never fulfilled it. His best achievement was a world bronze. I hope Hanyu will do better.

aftershocks
09-27-2011, 05:26 AM
I wonder if this skater made Johnny make a final decision about returning to competition.

Has Johnny made a final decision? :P

I think it's safe to say that Hanyu is inspired by Johnny's skating and also likes his style in costumes, since he asked Johnny to design costumes for him. Likewise, Johnny admittedly is wowed by Hanyu's talent and athleticism.

Hard to know from season to season what will transpire for a skater. Hanyu certainly has amazing talent, particularly for his young age. I do think he needs to gain more experience, develop more polish (finishing off of moves), and learn how to pace himself and train smart to avoid injuries.

I actually felt Carriere's sp (@Nebelhorn) was more mature and polished than Hanyu's, although Hanyu's elegance and extraordinary talent for one so young, is amazing. With the new scoring system it is truly a challenge to put together and perform a great program that is artistically engaging (one with the music) and athletically difficult, without seeming to be too frenzied and crammed with point-gathering moves.