PDA

View Full Version : Who is Johnny talking about?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

icellist
09-15-2011, 04:25 AM
i didn't want to go the trouble to find a johnny thread with a relevant title so here:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/mankinis-murses-and-man-bags-a-glossary-of-mens-fashion-terms-2550341#photoViewer=10

johnny johnny johnny

IceAlisa
09-15-2011, 04:59 AM
Ha ha, I was about to post that. :P

briancoogaert
09-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Hanyu is amazing, and many people compared him to Johnny Weir in term of choreo, elegance...

LilJen
09-16-2011, 02:37 AM
What comp and year? All I can see are amazing entrances from spread eagles, back pivots and back hydroblades - all incredible - but I'm failing to see a counter turn entry. I'd love to see someone else do this :)

Finally found it! 1999 Skate America LP, about halfway through. It was a Celtic/Scandinavian folk medley program. The only other vid I have of that program is when he trotted it out again for his 1st LP at the GPF (in the days when you had to do 2 different LPs at the GPF), but there he did "only" a spread eagle into that jump.

luCN
09-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Hanyu is amazing, and many people compared him to Johnny Weir in term of choreo, elegance...

Hanyu is a tiny copy of Johnny with BIG jumps :P

Marlowe
09-16-2011, 06:24 AM
He loves JWe, and JWe loves him...Johnny's done his comtumes since he came on the scene.

I think that the Johnny costumes are unfortunate. To me they make him look like a clone, and I think he deserves his own unique look. I agree, he's an amazing skater.

Nomad
09-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Hate his costumes, love his skating. Go Hanyu!

salsalicious
09-16-2011, 07:41 AM
asthma,really?maybe it's not very serious~I think he looks ok during the shows and competitions,especially this summer,he nearly attend all the shows in Japan LOL :)
I think it will be more problem about growing.

Are you his doctor? Or a doctor at all??? If not, perhaps you should not make judgements on how "serious" or existent the issue is, especially seeing as there are articles cited confirming his asthma.

aftershocks
09-19-2011, 04:59 AM
I think that the Johnny costumes are unfortunate. To me they make him look like a clone, and I think he deserves his own unique look. I agree, he's an amazing skater.

I don't think Hanyu looks like a clone by wearing costumes designed by Johnny. To me, Hanyu's movement style and body type are reminiscent of Johnny's to a degree, but also Hanyu is unique and refreshing with his own signature on the ice that will continue to develop. Hanyu apparently has been inspired by Johnny, and obviously asked him to design his costumes. If you feel the Johnny costumes are unfortunate, you must not like that style on quite a few skaters, as many skaters have worn Johnny-inspired costumes after Johnny made an impact in 2004 with his Valse Triste, Dr. Zhivago, and Imagine costumes, and later with his Otonal, Rondo Capriccioso, The Swan, My Way, and Love is War costumes.

Vash01
09-19-2011, 06:13 AM
When this thread was started, I had not heard of Hanyu. A few weeks later I happened to see his 3A-3A sequence and then the Quad-triple axel. I started paying more attention to him. If he skates like that, I see him beating Oda for the 3rd spot on the world Japanese team.

sleepypanda
09-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Decided to try my hand at translating--probably riddled with mistakes here and there, but I think I got the gist of it.

http://chubu.yomiuri.co.jp/tokushu/supotomo/supotomo110918_1.htm

Asada Mai interviews Hanyu Yuzuru!

- - -

Asada Mai's Sports Friends!

Male Figure Skater Hanyu Yuzuru-san
When we appeared in the ice show together held in Aichi Prefecture, I talked to Hanyu Yuzuru-senshu* (16) (Miyagi・Tohoku Senior High School 2nd Year). When the large earthquake hit Eastern Japan on March 11, Hanyu-senshu who lives in Sendai was training at the city's rink. Hanyu-senshu, with his own painful experience, appeared in charity ice shows across the country to send some positive energy to the affected areas.

"To send positive energy" to Tohoku

--During the earthquake, my little sister Mao was worried: "Yuzuru-kun, are you all right?" she wondered. We're glad there weren't any injuries.
Hanyu: Thank you very much. My body is ok, I didn't have any problems. But, my home turned out to be damaged.

--That must be difficult. Do you think your skating changed after experiencing the earthquake?
Hanyu: I didn't skate when I was at the shelter so 10 days after the earthquake, when I was training at the Yokohama rink, my body couldn't move to do a jump at all, I wasn't able to jump. But, even when I fell, even when I fell, I felt how fun skating was.

--As for the misanga** you're wearing on your wrist?
Hanyu: I received it from ice show guest singer Kuraki Mai-san***. I listened to her music since I was young so when I met her, I was nervous.

--What's your favorite type of girl?
Hanyu: A celebrity I always liked is Ueto Aya-san****. I like someone cute and makes me feel like protecting them.

--You have powerful expressions and can even do quad jumps. Sugoi ne.
Hanyu: I like to feel the sound as I move my body. So, I kinda think it's a dance.

--This season's free program music is the film "Romeo & Juliet" starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Difficult music ne.
Hanyu: Since I don't have much experience in love, I feel it's difficult. But, because of the disaster (earthquake), I kinda understand the painfulness of not being able to see the person you want to see. Also, since it's has narrative characteristics, the advantage is that it is easier to empathize. Last season's "Zigeunerweisen" was difficult because there was no story.

--Let me hear your goals for the season and your Olympic dream.
Hanyu: This season, I don't just want to focus on the jumps. I want to skate without mistakes and emphasize the flow of the program in its entirety. I would be happy to be able to participate in the 2014 Sochi Olympics, but I would like to leave a proper performance in 2018 at the Pyeongchang Olympics.

Hanyu Yuzuru's (pronounced "ha-nyu yu-zu-ru") Bio
Born in 1994 in Sendai. Height: 1.70m. Started skating at 3 years old after being influenced by his older sister who skated earlier. His coach is well-known choreographer Abe Nanami-san. 2010 World Junior Champion. Last season, fourth place at Japanese National Championships and runner-up (silver medalist) at Four Continents Championships.

(Skipped the bits after his bio--maybe another time.)

*"senshu" (選手) is a suffix applied to athletes' names. it means "player, athlete, sportsman, etc." wasn't sure how to translate it so I kept it as a suffix.
**misanga are a good luck charms similar in look to friendship bracelets you make at camp. the wish you make on it will come true when it automatically falls off your wrist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misanga
***Kuraki Mai, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai_Kuraki
****Ueto Aya, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aya_Ueto

Ziggy
09-20-2011, 01:35 AM
When this thread was started, I had not heard of Hanyu. A few weeks later I happened to see his 3A-3A sequence and then the Quad-triple axel. I started paying more attention to him. If he skates like that, I see him beating Oda for the 3rd spot on the world Japanese team.

Have you guys been hiding under a rock? :P

Hanyu is:

- JGPF Winner
- Junior Worlds Winner
- Four Continents Silver-Medallist
- did two Senior GPs last season

dinakt
09-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Sleepypanda, thank you for the translation!

BittyBug
09-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Height: 1.70m. He looks taller somehow.

luCN
09-20-2011, 06:12 AM
er...salsalicious,I don't quite understand why you are angry...I don't know Hanyu has asthma,and I wish it's not serious,is it fault? consider his achieving,the sick won't be that serious as you think IMO.I wish he's healthy,I think it's the correct attitude though...