PDA

View Full Version : Who is Johnny talking about?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Japanfan
09-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Daisuke maybe not as good as his peak time,but he can bring fantastic programs and make fans crazy,hope he won't be eliminated..

and Hanyu can be taller or stronger,his body is too "boyish" now,it will limit his expressiveness IMO...

I too love Daisuke and hope he stays on the Japanese team.

But from just the one program posted for Hanyu, I'd say he's on the edge as an up-and-comer.

Proustable
09-07-2011, 03:11 AM
I'd say that Takahashi, as a world champion and Olympic medalist, has the edge on Oda, who's just missed the World podium twice due to silly counting/COP errors.

Roxanne
09-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Remember that Daisuke only got 3rd at Japanese Nationals last year. His PCS might not be enough to save him if he's still struggling with the technical side. His jumps are inconsistent and his spins are weak. Oda is planning on doing 1 quad in the short and 2 in the long this season. Does anyone know if Daisuke has been landing quads in practice?

Proustable
09-07-2011, 04:36 AM
One thing that Oda has going for him is that because he tends to peak earlier in the season, he can fulfill the requirement for Worlds by the GPF. If he's repeating the quad, I truly hope he's not repeating any other jump.

But with Hanyu coming up strong, something's gotta give.

kwanfan1818
09-07-2011, 04:37 AM
Are these Japanese Federation requirements for Worlds?

bek
09-07-2011, 04:44 AM
I'd say that Takahashi, as a world champion and Olympic medalist, has the edge on Oda, who's just missed the World podium twice due to silly counting/COP errors.

Once again, absolutely. But if Daisuke isn't hitting the technical requirements and Oda is.

danceronice
09-07-2011, 03:15 PM
O.O Um...I know IJS isn't going to like 3A-3A, but what would they do with 4t-tap-3A? Because that is AWESOME.

If he's only MAYBE Japan's third man, they're either really confident in their depth of field or blind.

Ziggy
09-07-2011, 04:34 PM
O.O Um...I know IJS isn't going to like 3A-3A, but what would they do with 4t-tap-3A? Because that is AWESOME.

Both are sequences.

periperi
09-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Well this is where IJS is ridiculous. If he did 3A+3A (which would be a sequence, not a combo, because you have to change feet for the takeoff of the 2nd axel), it would be discounted by 20%. So despite the fact that the 3A+3A sequence is insanely difficult, it doesn't pay to do it, and he's better off doing the 3A's individually, with one in a true combination.

Yeah, that's a shame... It would be interesting to see him go for it anyway, (for the reasons that Japanfan mentioned) but I don't see him doing it. Thanks for correcting me, by the way.

Also guys, what about Takahito Mura? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY2OuM1xrEk) I think we should watch out for him too.

BittyBug
09-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm guessing that Hanyu might rather land on the podium than try to make a point with the ISU. ;)

Marco
09-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Japan really deserves 4 spots for Worlds and Olympics.

But yes, if one has to be cut, I hope it's Oda.

YES and YES.

As much as I respect Oda's skills (and knees) and wish him well, he somehow always turns out to be a disappointment.

But if he keeps insisting the Ando method, he can be pretty safe as far as world berth is concerned. On the other hand. Takahashi can be in trouble if his jumps and spins keep bothering him.

What if they take one Russian man's spot for Worlds and give Russia one more pairs spot for Worlds in return? :P

Marco
09-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Who IS this guy?? Superb basics, amazing tech, outstanding artistry and oodles of on-ice charisma. Have I died and gone to FS heaven???

Unfortunately in an era where this man is only 3rd best in his country, he will never be truly rewarded, just like Abt, or Kozuka himself just a season or two ago.

skfan
09-07-2011, 07:32 PM
perhaps i will root for hanyu over oda when someone surgically removes the icky mittens from his hands. even then, oda might still come across as more cuddly to me :)

but yeah, his jumps are amazing.

Cachoo
09-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Well the cat is out of the bag: I would love to see this young man go to Sochi without pressure---you know---this Olympics is just preparation for bigger things ahead (the next Olympics) and then see him win the Sochi gold because he is under less strain. But he looks so captivating now that I don't know if that is possible.

bek
09-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Unfortunately in an era where this man is only 3rd best in his country, he will never be truly rewarded, just like Abt, or Kozuka himself just a season or two ago.

I have absolutely no doubt that by Sochi, Hanyu will either be Japan's #1 or Japan's #2. This could happen by this year. The Japanese fed has to see that Kozuka and Hanyu are their future. Hanyu could have frankly had bronze at this years words...He's a better skater than Artur, and the Japanese federation has to know that.