PDA

View Full Version : Who is Johnny talking about?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Sylvia
09-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Who is his coach?
Nanami Abe.

os168
09-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Wow i had no idea he suffers from Asthma. I always figured he has stamina problem because he is still so young and growing, ie/ not fully developed to do all the senior requirements/pace.

That made me admire him even more. I really like his personal story, he seemed to have been with the same coach since age 4 according to wikipedia, who also does his choreography. They appear to manage his conditions very well, even if he is only able to do 2 hours per day training due to the asthma and school.

This was his FS at 4CC 2010 at age 16, where he was visibly running out of gas towards the end. Brilliant reaction towards the end particularly at the kiss and cry hugging the coach :swoon: vs the shy hand shake after his SP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_FzGuz3Th0

It is interesting to see the commentator David Liu picked him as the natural successor to Daisuke. (Which I sort of agree with, but only because I like Dai so much, but imho while Dai has his unique flair and the charisma, Hanyu has something rather different. With a bit more work, he would be the more elegant and refined skater, less wild but has a quiet sort of charisma all on his own. I just love his carriage, flexibility and the gravitas he take command around the ice and doesn't appear to hold things back (Although he tends to falter towards the last 30 seconds of his performances due to stamina issues. He'd be the artistically leading, and by the look of things greatly technically too.)

Here's him at age 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu89vC7xJGE

age 14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyrKPs9U-Zs

Both demonstrating the affinity to move/respond with the music very well early on.

luCN
09-06-2011, 01:43 AM
There have been a couple of posts that suggest that Hanyu might be the third Japanese man this year. I hope that Kozuka's silver at Worlds last year and his increasing confidence means that it will be a battle between Oda and Hanyu.

me too,I love Kozuka's skating,don't want him loose chance to international competitions.and Dai,everyone love him....if Hanyu has to replace one...

luCN
09-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by Zemgirl
I have read that his asthma can cause problems for him
asthma,really?maybe it's not very serious~I think he looks ok during the shows and competitions,especially this summer,he nearly attend all the shows in Japan LOL :)
I think it will be more problem about growing.He's too thin and small now.if he become taller and stronger,can he keep the amazing jumps consistently~hope so~

ChibiChibi
09-06-2011, 02:00 AM
asthma,really?maybe it's not very serious~I think he looks ok during the shows and competitions,especially this summer,he nearly attend all the shows in Japan LOL :)

In the interview below, he mentioned that he had asthma.

http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/04/shooting-for-the-top/

foreverkwanfan
09-06-2011, 04:01 AM
I've been captivated by Hanyu for 2 years now. He loves JWe, and JWe loves him...Johnny's done his comtumes since he came on the scene.

That is cool. I think designing skating costumes could be a great niche for him.
I miss Johnny.
Hanyu is pretty amazing.

Ziggy
09-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Japan really deserves 4 spots for Worlds and Olympics.

But yes, if one has to be cut, I hope it's Oda.

bek
09-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Japan really deserves 4 spots for Worlds and Olympics.

But yes, if one has to be cut, I hope it's Oda.

If the Japanese fed is smart they will invest in Hanyu. To be quite frank I think Kozuka and Hanyu are their best bests for Sochi. And it may be that its Oda and Daisuke who will be fighting for the third sport. Please don't get me wrong I like Daisuke better than Kozuka and Hanyu right now in terms of charisma especially. But a part of me wonders if Daisuke has already peaked technically. He's inconsistent now, and I'm not sure if that will change.

For the most part though I think the Japanese fed should be ready to let Oda go. He's a fabulous technical skater. But the guy still hasn't learned to count, or deliver when it matters. If he can't count by now he never will.

Its situations like these that makes me wish skating had trades like some other sports have. Why can't the Japanese trade one of their men to Russia for a lovely Russian pair or dance team... Of course the Japanese do have a very talented pair (who may never get to be at the Olympics, sad) but another one wouldn't hurt.

justAfsfan
09-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I think it will be more problem about growing.He's too thin and small now.if he become taller and stronger,can he keep the amazing jumps consistently~hope so~

I think he already finish or almost his growing period you can notice a clear different from his video from 2010 junior world compare to 4cc this year.

But when you compare his body at 4cc this year and now, his physical doesn't change much except he has more muscle.

For the program, I love his LP this year but not really his SP (of course this is just the beginning of season!).

Love Love Yuzuru-kun, my pick for Sochi medalist - even hopefully gold :)

He has show great musicality, has a graceful expressive presence on ice that will only age better with time. Yazuru has shown great mature attitude and seem a great guy off ice as well (Not to mention very cute :D)

I agree with you on everything; especially the last sentence :D

IceAlisa
09-06-2011, 04:47 PM
J
... if one has to be cut, I hope it's Oda.

Me too. Hanyu looks ready for the world stage.

Japanfan
09-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Wow, I look forward to seeing this guy in seniors

Well this is where IJS is ridiculous. If he did 3A+3A (which would be a sequence, not a combo, because you have to change feet for the takeoff of the 2nd axel), it would be discounted by 20%. So despite the fact that the 3A+3A sequence is insanely difficult, it doesn't pay to do it, and he's better off doing the 3A's individually, with one in a true combination.

He should do it anyways, it is a remarkable jump and would distinguish him as a skater. Doing it could lead the rules to be changed - just as Mao's doing the 3Z in the SP led to a rule change for the ladies.

Ziggy
09-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Wow, I look forward to seeing this guy in seniors.

He has skated Senior all of last season already and competed at:
two Grand Prix events
Japanese Nationals
Four Continents

Jenna
09-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Hanyu is ready for the big time. Let's see who is backed more by JSF..Oda or Hanyu. One has to go...

Japanfan
09-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Hanyu is ready for the big time. Let's see who is backed more by JSF..Oda or Hanyu. One has to go...

Daisuke is in the mix as well. He's always been a step ahead of Oda and is the superior skater, but he does appear to be declining from his peak.

luCN
09-07-2011, 02:34 AM
Daisuke maybe not as good as his peak time,but he can bring fantastic programs and make fans crazy,hope he won't be eliminated..

and Hanyu can be taller or stronger,his body is too "boyish" now,it will limit his expressiveness IMO...