PDA

View Full Version : Everything Facebook - Pros, Cons, Changes, Advice, Help Needed...It's All Here, Folks

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17

KikiSashaFan
01-09-2012, 12:14 AM
The new timelines will be "given" to everyone on January 14th.

Karina1974
01-24-2012, 09:41 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/facebook-timeline-mandatory-rollout-7-days-scour-past-185456598.html

Facebook is the virtual home to more than 800 million active users, so any change to how the network operates is a big deal. And nothing could be bigger for the social hotspot than completely revamping everyone's front-facing profile page, and that is exactly what is happening today. Starting this morning, the new Timeline feature that up until now has been an optional switch is now mandatory.

The Timeline differs from the default profile pages we know and love in several ways. Now, rather than showcasing only your most recent posts, your personal front page can be scrolled back months or years at a time. Most importantly, this change can offer visitors a glimpse at your entire social networking past, all the way back to the day that you joined up. The revamp can be both a blessing and a curse for seasoned social networkers, as it can produce a bit of pleasant nostalgia, but also drag up some of your less proud public moments.

Left untouched, your Timeline may remind of you of breakups, job troubles, or even a few unfortunate party photos that you have long since buried. Depending on your settings, these black marks on your digital past could allow new followers including friends or business associates to see a side of you that was better kept tucked away.

Epic. Fail. I don't like it simply because the page under Timeline has such a messy, cluttered feel to it that navigating a profile that is set in Timeline is a nightmare. I, for one, much prefer the old, vertical scrolling, style. It's a lot simpler and easier to read.

The only +1 I can give to Timeline is the "cover" photo feature. Other than that, it's a mess.

Wyliefan
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh, crap. I hate Timeline. :(

Skittl1321
01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
When does this happen. It says "starting this morning" but I still have my old facebook page.

Beefcake
01-24-2012, 10:04 PM
I despise the "timeline" arrangement, and don't even try to read it on those "friends" who've already changed over. It's MSNBC "fixing" its pages from easy to navigate to hoarder's heaven all over again.

Is there an alternative to Facebook? Because, I'm ready to boot it. Besides the change du jour's inane design, it also seems to yet another stab at removing all possible privacy alternatives.

soxxy
01-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Timeline sucks. I don't know one person who likes it.

Karina1974
01-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Because, I'm ready to boot it. Besides the change du jour's inane design, it also seems to yet another stab at removing all possible privacy alternatives.

I don't think so. I know of one person who already has Timeline on her page, who has her profile on complete "lock down" in regards to those people not on her Friends list.

Of course, she also has extensive computer experience going back almost 30 years, and made a name for herself as one of the pioneers in the website design business, so I would expect her to be able to figure these things out.

Skittl1321
01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Is there an alternative to Facebook?

Google+ ?

Karina1974
01-24-2012, 11:00 PM
When does this happen. It says "starting this morning" but I still have my old facebook page.

I just changed my profile over. You have 7 days to tweak your profile (remove stuff you don't want people to read again :)) before your profile goes "live" under Timeline. My posts are really generic (I save my ranting and raving for my private blog), so I went right ahead and "published" my profile.

cruisin
01-24-2012, 11:48 PM
My FB page is still the same. but, I did notice that FB was very slow to load today.

Vagabond
01-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Is there an alternative to Facebook?

Personal visits, letters, phone calls, and e-mail. :)

PrincessLeppard
01-25-2012, 03:23 AM
I don't mind timeline, but I wish the cover photo wasn't landscape. I have exactly one picture that looks good on there.

Vash01
01-25-2012, 04:15 PM
I finally got on facebook, and immediately sent friend requests to many of the people I know, and got some friend requests. I found the option to hide my DOB and gender. I have made my information accessible only to friends. So I don't think I will get ads, but I am really interested in looking for some people I went to school with. I found at least one of them on facebook.

genevieve
01-25-2012, 04:34 PM
everyone gets ads.

PeterG
01-25-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't mind timeline, but I wish the cover photo wasn't landscape. I have exactly one picture that looks good on there.

As if all of your pictures aren't completely gorgeous! :grope: :D