PDA

View Full Version : Everything Facebook - Pros, Cons, Changes, Advice, Help Needed...It's All Here, Folks

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17

rjblue
12-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Make fun, but there is a lot of information on many people's FB pages. Often the town they live in. With a first and last name and a town, it would not be that difficult to find an address.
If you know someone's name, there are about a dozen web services that will give you their address with more ease than using Facebook. And someone's occupation is probably a better indication of their degree of wealth, so I'd use Linkedin, if I were going to start my career as a burgler.

PeterG
12-30-2011, 05:14 PM
:watch:

Any other info about how to rob people through the world wide web? My new career plans are coming along nicely!

:D

cruisin
12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
^^ Yeah, because people who rob houses had never thought to use the internet as a resource. Not all robberies are impulse, some are planned. You'd all be surprised at how easy it is to find out information, if you have motivation.

genevieve
12-30-2011, 06:04 PM
^^ Yeah, because people who rob houses had never thought to use the internet as a resource. Not all robberies are impulse, some are planned. You'd all be surprised at how easy it is to find out information, if you have motivation.

I think the point is that there are much easier ways to plan a home theft through the internet than by using Facebook.

cruisin
12-30-2011, 06:34 PM
I think the point is that there are much easier ways to plan a home theft through the internet than by using Facebook.

I understand that. I I am not saying that there aren't many ways to plan a robbery. I'm simply suggesting that publishing the dates and times of your trip, might not be a good idea. We really have no way of knowing who reads these posts. I don't know how secure the airline's "sit next to" site is. It is also rather odd that they are doing this now. Weren't plane manifests always considered confidential?

PDilemma
12-30-2011, 06:40 PM
I understand that. I I am not saying that there aren't many ways to plan a robbery. I'm simply suggesting that publishing the dates and times of your trip, might not be a good idea. We really have no way of knowing who reads these posts. I don't know how secure the airline's "sit next to" site is. It is also rather odd that they are doing this now. Weren't plane manifests always considered confidential?

Passengers have to opt in to this; it is not automatic.

numbers123
12-31-2011, 05:28 PM
about the only person I think has left enough information to have a robbery planned from facebook is a friend of mine who goes to the park every single morning with her dogs at the same time of the day and posts it.

_____ is at ______ park with carly and trevor. But I think that it would be much easier to case the neighborhood and find that out. Or be one of the renovators that she has had working at her house for the last month.

PeterG
12-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Does this happen to anyone else? You're reading the posts on your wall, you screen down a few sections and...BLIP! You're back at the top of the page. So you scroll down, go a few more sections and then again, you're back at the top of the page! :mad:

Makes reading your wall take longer than is necessary. (And it's irritating!!)

triple_toe
12-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Thoughts on the timeline (http://failbook.failblog.org/2011/12/27/funny-facebook-fails-scumbag-zuckerberg/)

A.H.Black
01-01-2012, 04:57 AM
Does this happen to anyone else? You're reading the posts on your wall, you screen down a few sections and...BLIP! You're back at the top of the page. So you scroll down, go a few more sections and then again, you're back at the top of the page! :mad:

Does it happen on any other pages? My Mac does that to me on firefox occasionally. For me it's not the site, it's my browser.

my little pony
01-01-2012, 05:00 AM
:watch:

Any other info about how to rob people through the world wide web? My new career plans are coming along nicely!

:D

i wait until those 4 square people sign in someplace then sprint over to their homes and burgle

genevieve
01-01-2012, 05:22 AM

yes - a version of this happens to me on FB (and only FB) all the time - only for me I end up skipping way farther down the feed. Very annoying. Another reason I rarely read my newsfeed anymore. If it's not visible when I log in, I generally don't see it.

MacMadame
01-01-2012, 10:00 AM
We've had the robbery discussion before. There have been cases where people have posted they were not at home and teenage friends of their kids came over and trashed the place or robbed it.

So whether or not we think robbers have better and easier ways to find victims, some of them use Facebook. Not all thieves are smart, I guess. ;)

ETA and, yeah, that jumping thing happens to me too. It jumps when the page gets updated with new stories on top. But I don't want to read them when I am 5 "older stories" clicks down and then have to reload all those stories again to get back where I started!

Jenny
01-02-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm starting to see a few pages in the new timeline layout - does anyone know if this will be an option, or if it's eventually going to be rolled out to everyone?

PrincessLeppard
01-08-2012, 11:27 PM
I usually do the "year in status" thing, but when I went to use it this year, it requested permission to post things to my page. So I didn't do it.

Has anyone tried this? Did it post stuff? I just like to look at my stupid statuses all together. :)