PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Netflix?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

jlai
09-04-2011, 03:49 AM
With Netflix prices going up I'm wondering if there's a better alternative out there. There's the Red Box but I don't know how well it works. Then there's online viewing from Amazon, and ITune movie rental (which requires downloading).

What are you guys using and are there other NETFlix-ers jumping ship out there?

Kasey
09-04-2011, 04:03 AM
I still kept Netflix, but went to only the dvds via mail, since my streaming is not always reliable and fast enough. Never have tried Red Box.

Bryan
09-04-2011, 04:13 AM
I personally love Redbox. It's very convenient and affordable. It's $1 per night for each DVD rental (Blu-Ray is $1.50 per night, I think), and you have until 9 pm the next night to return it.

The only drawback is that some of the studios have placed restrictions on their movies and they are only available on Redbox 28 days after its release, but I believe Netflix does that as well. Also, Redbox doesn't have older titles or classic movies, but if you are more interested in new releases, Redbox is a great option (again, of course, if you don't mind waiting about a month).

There's also Hulu Plus, but I haven't tried that--I only watch the free content. But I also love Hulu to keep up with shows I don't have time to watch during the week, such as Glee.

nerdycool
09-04-2011, 04:20 AM
We also went to 2 DVD via mail only, but only because a lot of the things we like to watch aren't being streamed yet. And really, we've been super happy with Netflix. Yeah, it sucks that they raised the prices so much, but for what they offer even at the raised prices is worth it. My opinion, of course. So we're staying and riding out the storm.

Some of our friends have thought about cancelling, but didn't find a good alternative since they do watch quite a lot of movies. Video rental stores like Blockbuster are expensive, Red Box is a good idea, but the selection is very limited. iTunes is more expensive when they add up all they usually watch and the Amazon thing looks promising, but they'll probably wait until their selection expands more.

BigB08822
09-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Redbox is amazing and their customer service is top notch, IMO. I have had one or two issues where they charged me an extra night or the DVD was scratched and they gave me a refund or a credit with no questions asked. It also helps that we have redboxes located on almost every corner so I can use their iPhone app to find the movies I want and don't have to waste a trip to a redbox without that movie. They also send out codes for free movies occasionally or discounts and such. I always use them because they have the new releases. Netflix is great for foreign films, documentaries, older films but we only have the streaming now because of the price increase, not sure how long we will keep it as we hardly watch it anymore. IMO the best thing to use Netflix for is to stream television series. Those are not cheap to rent or buy because of how many discs they are so if it is on there you can get a great deal and they tend to put television shows on there more often than newer movies.

Japanfan
09-04-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm also wondering what the DVD alternatives are now. An independent video/DVD rental store near me just closed down, along with Blockbuster, and Roger's isn't in the vicinity.

I don't want to pay Netflix $8.00 per month plus tax, etc., or whatever it has gone up to as I don't watch movies every month. And I don't want to have to pay any more than $6.00 or so for a DVD as that's what I'm used to paying.

I love Pay-per-view, but the selection is very limited. And extending it would likely create bandwith issues.

Quintuple
09-04-2011, 09:27 AM
GreenCine (http://www.greencine.com/main) is an alternative.

Also, I find that my public library has tons of DVDs I want to watch. Just browsing the shelves makes me consider titles I would not have otherwise searched for (and catch up with classics). Our online catalog reveals that they buy most of the obvious choices, and even if they're very popular and out all the time, I can just put them on reserve and they'll hold them for me. I can take out 8 movies at a time, renew online, and keep them up to 2 weeks. Of course, I live in a pretty big city with a great library, and of course one has to account for other users not returning or damaging stuff.

barbk
09-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Adding to Quintuple's excellent post: if your library is part of a lending network, you can also get DVDs through inter-library loan. I just got online and ordered a Discovery Channel DVD that's coming to me from an adjacent library district; I'll probably get an email that it has arrived by the end of the week.

sk8pics
09-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I keep extending the hold on my Netflix account. Haven't cancelled it yet because of the queue I constructed, but I may. I've been renting with Redbox and like it very much. There are a couple of kiosks very close to me. The biggest problem with Redbox for me is that I keep getting there right after someone who doesn't know how to use the kiosk or who can't make up their mind which movie to rent.:rolleyes:

AJ Skatefan
09-05-2011, 03:30 AM
I second the vote for the public library. I was just there the other day and some of the DVDs on the shelf were ones that were on my Netflix cue. They're free and you can keep them for at least two weeks.

Skate Talker
09-05-2011, 03:43 AM
I second the vote for the public library. I was just there the other day and some of the DVDs on the shelf were ones that were on my Netflix cue. They're free and you can keep them for at least two weeks.

Wish that were true - for me an annual library fee applies as I don't live in the metropolitan area and we have no local library. The fee several years ago was already over $100/yr so who knows what it is now.

AJ Skatefan
09-05-2011, 04:58 AM
Wish that were true - for me an annual library fee applies as I don't live in the metropolitan area and we have no local library. The fee several years ago was already over $100/yr so who knows what it is now.

Wow. I had no idea that some people are charged to use a public library! That sux.

Skate Talker
09-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the sympathy. I understand why, though. The library is funded by the municipal taxes of the people who live in the metropolitan area. At one time our local municipality had an agreement where they kicked in funds so we could have free access to the libraries, (fortunately that was when I wanted the library the most as a kid from a funds-challenged family), but they felt that not enough of our citizens were using the service to make it worth the money. For a time then they would reimburse anyone here who paid the annual fee. Last time I checked it was down to only a token amount.

AJ Skatefan
09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I guess that makes a certain amount of sense, Skate Talker. It might be worth the fee if you read a lot of books and watch a lot of movies.

Spareoom
09-05-2011, 09:57 PM
As a long devotee to public libraries, it boggles the mind that some people living in very decent, populated areas, are completely without access to a local library system. I live in Joliet, IL, which is a sprawling city/town outside of Chicago. However, technically I don't live in Joliet; I live in Plainfield. I actually have to drive through a DIFFERENT town to get to Joliet. However, Joliet annexed the subdivision I live in, so my address is Joliet, even though I'm a twenty minutes out of city borders. It has it's drawbacks, but the perks are that I get access to the Joliet library system, which is huge and awesome.

The weird thing is, some friends of mine, that actually live in Joliet, DON'T have access to the library system and would have to pay upwards of 100 dollars to get a library card. Turns out that they're actually Joliet Township or something strange like that. I know there's a big difference in terms of who they pay taxes to and who I pay taxes to, but still. It's odd. Who knows a library system could be so difficult to navigate. :p

Anyway, in terms of the discussion of using the library as a suitable alternative to Netflix, it's a moot point. My library charges adults 1$ a video or DVD for three days, and kids under 18 can't check out videos or DVD's at all. Strange, strange.