PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read the Historical Dictionary of Figure Skating?

snoopysnake
09-04-2011, 12:48 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Historical-Dictionary-Figure-Skating-Dictionaries/dp/0810868598/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1315093354&sr=8-9#_

Have any of you bought or seen this book? What did you think of it?

skateycat
09-05-2011, 03:54 PM
I saw it and skimmed it when I was at a library conference. It looked pretty good but in the end I decided it didnt merit the space on my tiny bookshelf.

aliceanne
09-06-2011, 04:40 PM
I bought the "Figure Skating: A History" by the same author. It was very comprehensive but rather dry. He's a college professor and is very factual.

If you want a reference that gives you names, dates, and places, go for it. But if you are looking for an entertaining read or some insider insight, no.

Frau Muller
09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I can't speak for the new book but if it's anything like J.W. Malone's Encyclopaedia of Figure Skating which, according to amazon.com, this new volume "supplants," then it may be a very superficial cavalcade of facts, with minimal intelligent analysis. I'm going only by my knowledge of the earlier tome. Hopefully this is an improvement and more than a haphazard presentation (a 'pot luck' sort of incomplete selection) of names with birth/death dates and list of medals won by each.

snoopysnake
09-08-2011, 01:40 AM
I would buy something without a lot of analysis if it had substantial content. For example, it would list all the competitors and their order of finish (and better yet, their marks too) for each year of Worlds, Nationals, Europeans, GP competitions, etc. Under individual skaters, it would include what music they used each year as well as their placements. Information on who did the major tours year by year would also be good.

I don't want to pay such a high price for a book if it is redundant with those I already own. I'd really need to see it in person it first, I think, before I'd buy it online.

care bear
09-15-2011, 06:37 AM
I just got it from the U.S. yesterday and could find some small mistakes.
p.164 Navka, Tatiana and ....
Navka competed internationally with Nikolai Morozov for two years, 1997-1998, representing Bulgaria They competed for Russia http://www.eskatefans.com/skatabase/olydance1990.html

p.76 Dubreuil, Marie-France and...
They placed 6th in 2010 They did not compete 2010.

But I love the book. ))

Domshabfan
09-15-2011, 08:20 AM
I just got it from the U.S. yesterday and could find some small mistakes.
p.164 Navka, Tatiana and ....
Navka competed internationally with Nikolai Morozov for two years, 1997-1998, representing Bulgaria They competed for Russia http://www.eskatefans.com/skatabase/olydance1990.html

p.76 Dubreuil, Marie-France and...
They placed 6th in 2010 They did not compete 2010.

But I love the book. ))

They competed for Belarus and not Russia. The IOC short form for Belarus is BLR and for Bulgaria id BUL, the author might have got confused this country code.

care bear
09-15-2011, 09:12 AM
It is Belarus, yes. Database, the only source I checked and quoted, has a mistake.

Maofan7
09-18-2011, 06:09 AM
I can't speak for the new book but if it's anything like J.W. Malone's Encyclopaedia of Figure Skating which, according to amazon.com, this new volume "supplants," then it may be a very superficial cavalcade of facts, with minimal intelligent analysis. I'm going only by my knowledge of the earlier tome. Hopefully this is an improvement and more than a haphazard presentation (a 'pot luck' sort of incomplete selection) of names with birth/death dates and list of medals won by each.

I think your probably right about it being no more than a collection of facts

floskate
09-18-2011, 08:43 AM
I would buy something without a lot of analysis if it had substantial content. For example, it would list all the competitors and their order of finish (and better yet, their marks too) for each year of Worlds, Nationals, Europeans, GP competitions, etc. Under individual skaters, it would include what music they used each year as well as their placements. Information on who did the major tours year by year would also be good.

The ISU published two such books; the first in 1968 - with European and World results from the beginning up until 1967 and then a second edition from 1968 - 1992 (the ISU centenary year. Individual marks are not present but the first volume has placements in figures and free for every skate and a numbered list of judges so you can see who placed who where. The second volume has placements only via competition portion and not by judge but it's still very informative. If you're lucky you may find copies of these somewhere but they'll be expensive. Mine cost a small fortune but with my penchant for skating history, they have proved well worth the money :)