PDA

View Full Version : deep interview of Patrick Chan and short one which mentions Lambiel and Yuna Kim

Pages : [1] 2 3

luCN
08-31-2011, 07:45 AM
you can see it here(six part,half an hour total,in English):
http://v.ifeng.com/news/society/201108/cf850c62-c268-4bcf-8943-cf4f540be8f2.shtml

print version in Chinese:http://sports.nen.com.cn/sports/9/3932009.shtml

It's a famous show on Phoenix Satellite TV(HK,China) for 8 years,well,something like Today show.They always interview government officials、writters、directors、actors etc...so it's a little different with other sports interviews. :P Patrick talked about skating and other personal things,maybe you would like to see it. :hat1:

PS:universal sports posted a short interview too:
http://www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=cd749cb2-eb0e-4507-95fc-ff22e4a04261.html#summer+with+patrick+chan
if you can't watch Universal sports video,you can see it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_SRq_sgIGU

He mentioned Stephane Lambiel and Yuna Kim :hat1:

os168
08-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Really good interview, thanks for sharing. I really like and appreciate Patrick Chan even more now. The interviewer also spoke that she once interviewed Michelle Kwan too, I'd love to check out that interview if it can be found somewhere. (Ahh found it http://v.ifeng.com/e/200905/3cb96113-b55c-479e-930e-7054c3021e85.shtml)

Some Highlights including

- Patrick Chan speak Mandarin (too cute and giggle worthy)

- Patrick thought $40k a year Colorado university was too expensive and
decide to forgo Uni for now. Interviewer was surprised he was not offered a scholarship even as a world champion (Has other figure skaters got scholarships in the past because of skating? e.g Flatt, Alyssa etc?)

- He got good sporting genes. His dad emigrated from Hongkong at age 4, and was the Qubec Table Tennis Champion. His mum came from China came to Canada at age 20, certified coach for tennis and skiing, and was still playing tennis at 8th month pregnancy with Patrick. (!)

- Difference between Patrick and Chinese Athlete training environment were highlighted, such as the training mentality, pressure etc. In China, it is very much a job, work hard, full of pain and tears (interviewer jokingly implied) and the coaches are just like parents, the country provide everything.

Patrick mentioned the importance of having fun but hard work too, his financial pressures include

- USD $150k-200k generally for training costs for preparing for Vancouver while training in US
- USD $250k for coaching
(amount corrected thanks to skatingfanfun)

Massive financial burden. Although Canadian government tries to help include some commercial interest, fundraiser they were able to support about 10% of training costs. Everything else is up to the family, as a result, Patrick became mature quickly and learnt to save money. Once he even took the bus to save money after a flight to a press conference, and he was almost late.

- He mentioned he relies on fundraising raising by family and friends (a group) to support his skating, like a fund raising event in a Chinese restaurants on Sept 9th when he goes back to Toronto. It is in the form of a silent auction where they sell tables, each ticket is $130 Canadian Dollars, or you can buy a whole table, or be a title sponsor is $10k.

- Leading to the Olympics, things were good when the interest was there, after the Olympics, it was difficult for a lot of athlete because the money / budget is just not there from many past sponsors. He mentioned he has only 1 sponsor left.

I had no idea how strapped for cash he is, incredible really. It is really nice to see the Canadian / Chinese Community really support him to eventually become the world champion.

- Patrick's parents were credit for their incredible support. His mother quit her job and stood by his side through the highs and lows and was a source of comfort and mental strength when he had difficulties. His father is an accountant, and although have decent salary but is hardly enough to support this expensive sport, and the family appears to be still in debt to support their son.

- A very touching comment from the interviews was that Patrick's parent are not 'Tiger Mums' or 'Tiger Dads'. Quite opposite actually. Patrick's mum often quipped "you are the luckiest Chinese boy in Canada" and always tell him just be above average, and she'd be fine with it.

- He took piano and ballet when he was young to develop musicality and movement.

- He is taking economics and business subjects for all sort of reasons, but more so for a good financially stabled future. He mentioned it is good to have complete and balanced skill set.

- The interviewer confirmed Patrick admit to her he took up skating shows to ensure he has enough funding for next year, and the show in China is the first one he has done in China/Taiwan. The interviewer mentioned she was still able to see how devoted Patrick was to 100% devoted and committed in his performance. It was the first time the interviewer managed to see his performing live, and she commented it was so different from the combative competition environment and really made figure skating beautiful.

- The interviewer made a thoughtful conclusion from the interview. She couldn't help but to speculate that although the sporting strategy in China can guarantee they select only the very best athlete, and guarantee them focus entirely on the gold and silver, even though Patrick Chan's path appears to be more difficult and even stressful, but during the entire abstract process, a young man full potential and capability were tried and tested from all sides.

Having experienced and endured through all this, his world is bigger and wider. And in his professional and life's journey would be travelled longer and further.

VarBar
08-31-2011, 12:11 PM
I always liked Patrick Chan's skating (even when he was doing only triple jumps lol) for its incredibly gorgeous quality and now I think I am starting to really like Patrick as a person too.

That's a very nice, sincere and articulate interview. Thanks luCN and os168.:)

ali_dorate
08-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Thank you so much, luCN and os168.

This is a very thoughtful interview.
I love his positive thinking.
At the same time, it sounds a little sad because he had been talking about studying at university from this autumn.

I also can't understand why he can't get a scholarship.
Hope his fundraising works well.

l'etoile
08-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Wow amazing interview! I too didn't know Patrick was going through such difficulties both financially and physically. To see this very talented, humble guy grow as a skater for the last few seasons was incredible. I only wish the best of future for him.

Thanks for the info & translation luCN and os168. Really enjoyed them:)

luckiest1
08-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Thank you so much for translating the intervew for us!

attyfan
08-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Thank you again for translating the interviews. How long has Patrick been in Colorado? Does he maintain legal residency there? If the 40K for a Colorado university is out-of-state tuition, it may drop after a while. I'm not surprised that the college won't give him a scholarship ... all US schools are cutting the financial aid. Of course, postponing college may prove to be a blessing in disguise. As Michelle Kwan demonstrated, combining college and top level competitive skating is extremely difficult.

Dragonlady
08-31-2011, 02:57 PM
I think Patrick experienced "sticker shock" at the cost of tuition at an American university. $40,000 will get you a 4 year degree from the University of Toronto, as opposed to paying for your first year in Colorado. U of T is one of the top Universities in Canada and ranks 29th in the list of the 100 best universities in the World. Colorado didn't even make the list.

I can understand why he would decide to defer his first year until he returns to Canada and much lower tuition costs.

marbri
08-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Weird thing is that while watching his longer interview and seeing the clips of him skating it popped into my head that heŽd be a good partner for Vanessa Crone. Fast forward to the youtube video where he mentions Lambiel (completely agree with him there) and YuNa and he casually mentions how skating in the YuNa show peaked his interest in ice dance and I :lol: I could totally seeing him, once he accomplishes what he wants in singles, giving ice dance a shot and having some success.

agalisgv
08-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Generally intl students don't qualify for in-state tuition or financial aid/scholarships no matter how long they reside in a particular state, so they will pay full-price for the entirety of their studies.

Vagabond
08-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Has other figure skaters got scholarships in the past because of skating? e.g Flatt, Alyssa etc?

No. In the U.S., athletic scholarships are for sports in which colleges and universities compete against each other, e.g., swimming and basketball, not for skating.

It would be very difficult for Chan to attend the University of Colorado right now in any event because Colorado Springs (where he trains) and Boulder (home of the University) are about a two-hour drive from each other.

kwanfan1818
08-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Thank you luCN for the link to the interview!

I also can't understand why he can't get a scholarship.
Hope his fundraising works well.

Generally intl students don't qualify for in-state tuition or financial aid/scholarships no matter how long they reside in a particular state, so they will pay full-price for the entirety of their studies.

No. In the U.S., athletic scholarships are for sports in which colleges and universities compete against each other, e.g., swimming and basketball, not for skating.

And the rest of the scholarships are financial need-based, and I don't think many take individual sport, music, etc. training costs into consideration.

Apart from shows, in his last three competitive seasons, he would have made:

2009 -- Total of $80K plus a cut of the WTT 150K
*Two firsts in GP (18+18)
*Fifth at GPF (2)
*First at 4C's (15)
*Fourth at World Team Trophy (four singles, one pair, one dance split $150K)
*Second at Worlds (27)

2010-Total $27K
*Sixth at GP (0)
*Second at Worlds (27)

I don't know if/which Olympic team athletes were given any kind of support or bonus from SC and/or NOC

2011-Total $94K
*First at GP (18)
*Second at GP (13)
*First at GPF (18)
*First at Worlds (45)

There shouldn't be any tax consequences anywhere for income above his expenses, and as far as I know, prize money is not subject to FICA.

Aside from any Olympic-related subsidies, he had a bad year financially in 2010; with his injury, he was out of GP and GPF, although he wouldn't have been at 4C's so close to the Olympics in any case.

He mentioned $40-$45K annually in coaching and training costs, but if he still needs to raise money bringing in $95K/year, and he's not even part of a couple, training costs are either even more exorbitant than I realized, or some of what he's earning in prize money now is paying off expenses incurred when he wasn't making prize money.

I don't know why he'd pay $40K/year to go to a private college when he could attend the University of Colorado for almost half the price -- he's already paying for living expenses -- full-time, and they allow part-time students, which would fit more with his schedule.

skatesindreams
08-31-2011, 09:31 PM
The interview demonstrates why my admiration for Patrick is well-placed.
Indeed, it will only increase, after seeing this.

Zemgirl
08-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Of course, postponing college may prove to be a blessing in disguise. As Michelle Kwan demonstrated, combining college and top level competitive skating is extremely difficult.
I'm not sure that's true. There are quite a few skaters who've done just that, including some in fairly demanding schools and fields of study; for instance, I believe both Nathalie Pechalat and Alban Preaubert were working towards/have completed graduate degrees in management; I can even think of skaters who got degrees in engineering while still competing. Tomas Verner has a university degree, as does Alissa Czisny, and there are quite a few ice dancers who are students at the University of Michigan (including D/W), though I doubt they're taking a full course load.

The question is what someone wants to get out of their college/university experience. If the goal is to learn and study towards a degree, even taking one or two courses per semester works towards that. But if you're looking to study full-time and have a social life like other students, I guess it would be more difficult to combine skating and college. And $40,000 per year on top of all the expenses skating entails is a lot of money. Actually, it's a lot of money, regardless of whether there are skating expenses. Though I'm surprised Chan isn't in better shape financially; surely he should be making some money from shows as well as prize money?

I don't like watching online interviews, but if there's a transcript somewhere, I'd check it out.

skatingfanfun
08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Really good interview, thanks for sharing. I really like and appreciate Patrick Chan even more now. The interviewer also spoke that she once interviewed Michelle Kwan too, I'd love to check out that interview if it can be found somewhere. (Ahh found it http://v.ifeng.com/e/200905/3cb96113-b55c-479e-930e-7054c3021e85.shtml)

Some Highlights including

- Patrick Chan speak Mandarin (too cute and giggle worthy)

- Patrick thought $40k a year Colorado university was too expensive and
decide to forgo Uni for now. Interviewer was surprised he was not offered a scholarship even as a world champion (Has other figure skaters got scholarships in the past because of skating? e.g Flatt, Alyssa etc?)

- He got good sporting genes. His dad emigrated from Hongkong at age 4, and was the Qubec Table Tennis Champion. His mum came from China came to Canada at age 20, certified coach for tennis and skiing, and was still playing tennis at 8th month pregnancy with Patrick. (!)

- Difference between Patrick and Chinese Athlete training environment were highlighted, such as the training mentality, pressure etc. In China, it is very much a job, work hard, full of pain and tears (interviewer jokingly implied) and the coaches are just like parents, the country provide everything.

Patrick mentioned the importance of having fun but hard work too, his financial pressures include

- $15k-20k for training
- $25k for coaching

Massive financial burden. Although Canadian government tries to help include some commercial interest, fundraiser they were able to support about 10% of training costs. Everything else is up to the family, as a result, Patrick became mature quickly and learnt to save money. Once he even took the bus to save money after a flight to a press conference, and he was almost late.

- He mentioned he relies on fundraising raising by family and friends (a group) to support his skating, like a fund raising event in a Chinese restaurants on Sept 9th when he goes back to Toronto. It is in the form of a silent auction where they sell tables, each ticket is $130 Canadian Dollars, or you can buy a whole table, or be a title sponsor is $10k.

- Leading to the Olympics, things were good when the interest was there, after the Olympics, it was difficult for a lot of athlete because the money / budget is just not there from many past sponsors. He mentioned he has only 1 sponsor left.

I had no idea how strapped for cash he is, incredible really. It is really nice to see the Canadian / Chinese Community really support him to eventually become the world champion.

- Patrick's parents were credit for their incredible support. His mother quit her job and stood by his side through the highs and lows and was a source of comfort and mental strength when he had difficulties. His father is an accountant, and although have decent salary but is hardly enough to support this expensive sport, and the family appears to be still in debt to support their son.

- A very touching comment from the interviews was that Patrick's parent are not 'Tiger Mums' or 'Tiger Dads'. Quite opposite actually. Patrick's mum often quipped "you are the luckiest Chinese boy in Canada" and always tell him just be above average, and she'd be fine with it.

- He took piano and ballet when he was young to develop musicality and movement.

- He is taking economics and business subjects for all sort of reasons, but more so for a good financially stabled future. He mentioned it is good to have complete and balanced skill set.

- The interviewer confirmed Patrick admit to her he took up skating shows to ensure he has enough funding for next year, and the show in China is the first one he has done in China/Taiwan. The interviewer mentioned she was still able to see how devoted Patrick was to 100% devoted and committed in his performance. It was the first time the interviewer managed to see his performing live, and she commented it was so different from the combative competition environment and really made figure skating beautiful.

- The interviewer made a thoughtful conclusion from the interview. She couldn't help but to speculate that although the sporting strategy in China can guarantee they select only the very best athlete, and guarantee them focus entirely on the gold and silver, even though Patrick Chan's path appears to be more difficult and even stressful, but during the entire abstract process, a young man full potential and capability were tried and tested from all sides.

Having experienced and endured through all this, his world is bigger and wider. And in his professional and life's journey would be travelled longer and further.

Regarding the training and coaching cost, I watched the interview, they are not 15K-20k and 25k, they are 150k-200k and 250k respectively. In chinese, we don't count by k, we count by 10k (wan) :) quite confusing. When I need to say numbers over 10k, it is always challenging even after so many years living in an English speaking country.