PDA

View Full Version : 2011 IAAF World Athletics Championships: Day 2 aka One Fine Daegu

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Buzz
08-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Sorry for Bolt and the false start. But better here than the Olympics.

nuge
08-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I 'd just said to my hubby wouldn't it be funny if Bolt had a false start :eek:
They say things come in threes :D

allezfred
08-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I 'd just said to my hubby wouldn't it be funny if Bolt had a false start :eek:
They say things come in threes :D

We've had five DQs and two false starts in the marathon, so we've gone beyond three.

Braulio
08-28-2011, 08:25 PM
What a series of events with this False starts

In day one those two false starts in the women´s marathon were definitively a prediction of what was coming ahead

Very shocked that Usain got DQ!! but like said better here than at London

Kim Collins taking a medal :P

SpeedySucks
08-28-2011, 09:26 PM
The false start rule needs to be changed immediately. We have only a few opportunities left to see Bolt race in a major final in his prime. We were robbed of one of those opportunities today. I'd rather see a few false starts and delays, even if they're just for gamesmanship, than not be able to see Bolt race at all.

Beefcake
08-28-2011, 11:23 PM
The false start rule needs to be changed immediately. We have only a few opportunities left to see Bolt race in a major final in his prime. We were robbed of one of those opportunities today. I'd rather see a few false starts and delays, even if they're just for gamesmanship, than not be able to see Bolt race at all.
Disagree almost down the line! The rules are clear, Bolt knew them and has raced under them for a while ... he screwed up. Bolt "robbed" you of this opportunity, not the rule.

Beating the gun is not "gamesmanship," per se, but rather a way to sneak in an advantage by anticipating the start of the race. IOW, it's a strategy that lies almost in a gray area between great planning, luck, and cheating. Those who play within the rules will be at a disadvantage to someone who guessed rightly and darted right at the gun.

That said, maybe - for sprints only - the PTB could compromise and keep the former "one freebie on the field, then DQ" rule, as it straddled "zero tolerance" and too much gun jumping. The current "one and out" rule should be kept for distances 400m and above. I mean, c'mon, false starting in a marathon race? :lol:

judgejudy27
08-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Bolt would be stupid to have tried to beat the gun since he could have blown away this field even with a mediocre start (not that he shouldnt have tried for a good start of course).

FiveRinger
08-28-2011, 11:44 PM
I too, am shocked at Bolt's DQ. Why did they change the rule in the first place? I remember back even before one FS to the field and the the DQ to the runner. This is ridiculous.

liv
08-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Hope they rethink that rule. Poor for the sport and its popularity and sponsorships when the superstars cannot compete because of a rule change many disliked when it came in. I'd like the best to compete for the title, rather than see them kicked out without a second chance. People will recognize the winner, but for many he won "because Bolt was disaqualified." Yeah, those are the rules, but in my view that hurts the sport.

gingercrush
08-29-2011, 12:08 AM
In fairness they had to change the rules otherwise you had every runner do a false start. It got to the stage where so much strategy seemed to be placed on flase starting and getting something over the other runners.

I do think they may have gotten a bit extreme. Both in athletics and swimming. But the rules were changed for a reason.

SpeedySucks
08-29-2011, 12:37 AM
I do think they may have gotten a bit extreme. Both in athletics and swimming. But the rules were changed for a reason.

Nobody false starts in swimming anymore, so I don't think the rule needs to change in swimming. The start is less important in swimming than in track, even in the 50m free, so there's not much to be gained from trying to jump the gun.

The start is much more important in the 100 and 200 in track. A good or bad start can be the difference between running 9.80 and 10.00. Given the importance of the start and the vast inconsistency in starters, I think one false start should be allowed. If the current rule is not changed, I doubt we will ever see anyone challenge Bolt's records, as they won't be able to be aggressive enough at the start in order to do so. I have no problem with keeping the rule for distances over 200m, but for the short sprints, this rule is bad for the sport.

allezfred
08-29-2011, 09:36 AM
We've had five athletes DQ for a false start so far in these championships and funny how people only think the rule is wrong when it's Usain Bolt who gets done. ;)

Anyway, I'm sure the IAAF will come up with some new false start rule that states one false start allowed in the final if you are a Jamaican megastar sprinter or something. :saint:

barbk
08-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Would it make sense to simply penalize the false starter's calculated finishing time by adding .1 seconds to his/her time? That would be a fairly significant penalty, but not nearly as significant as DQing the person. It would have the disadvantage that the first person across the finish line might not end up being the winner, but other sports seem to cope with with results like that. (In football, some apparent touchdowns are called back because of fouls, for example, and in gymnastics floor exercise there's a flat penalty applied for going out-of-bounds.)

Buzz
08-29-2011, 10:47 PM
I think the one false start rule is rediculous and I hope they change it soon.

FiveRinger
08-29-2011, 10:56 PM
I saw the exchange between Dwight Stone and Ato Bolden last night in reference to Bolt's false start, and I watched some of USN's this morning. It was really interesting. Stone was fielder, so he didn't have a problem with the FS rule, but Bolden was all over it. He predicted that this would happen. He didn't know Bolt would be the big name to be DQ'ed, but it wasn't a hard prediction to make that someone would be DQ'ed in a final or during a big race with this new FS rule.

Anyway, Bolden commented that Blake moved in the blocks and that Bolt responded to the movement and that ultimately resulted in the DQ. Not that he was excusing it, but if these two guys are training partners, you have a tendency to know their habits/movements and react to them. The movement wasn't shown in the broadcasting of the race on USN, but they showed it this morning. I need to see it again, because I swear, I didn't see the movement. But then again, I didn't have my glasses on.

I would think that in the finals, anyway, that nerves would play a part. There's a lot of adrenaline going on the starting line, difficult to contain. That can make you false start. I would guess that if they went back to the old rules, that first FS would allow the sprinters to get nerves and things under control and not have to worry about FSing. That's got to be awful, worrying about an FS before it happens and not running your best race because of it. Or worse, trying to anticipate the gun (which is what's being discouraged) and getting eliminated.