PDA

View Full Version : Singing cannot be nasally!

skateboy
08-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Okay, it's my new pet peeve. And Simon Cowell started it.

Singing is not nasally! It can be nasal. Nasally is an adverb, it doesn't work in this context. Singing cannot be nasally any more than your feeling is sadly or madly.

Drives me nuts! I'm off my soapbox now. Thank you for letting me vent. :)

Cheylana
08-26-2011, 06:48 AM
:confused: If you use singing as a verb, then you need an adverb.

"Your singing is nasal" but "you are singing nasally."

What am I missing?

BigB08822
08-26-2011, 06:49 AM
I don't get it either. I thought you could use nasally, as in the example above.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Yeah, adverbs modify a verb, an adjective, and another adverb. Like Cheylana pointed out, if Cowell said that "So and so's was singing nasally" then he'd be correct, but if he said "so and so's singing was nasally" then you'd be correct. I don't watch AI, so I don't know how he's saying it.

skateboy
08-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Yeah, adverbs modify a verb, an adjective, and another adverb. Like Cheylana pointed out, if Cowell said that "So and so's was singing nasally" then he'd be correct, but if he said "so and so's singing was nasally" then you'd be correct.

That's right. To say, "you were singing nasally" would be correct. But Simon says (and now many others have followed suit), "your [her, his, their] singing was nasally." No, it was nasal.

One of these days I will recover. I'm still trying to get over the incorrect usage of "awesome." :scream:

Prancer
08-27-2011, 01:12 AM
My guess is that he actually says "nasal-y," which would be an informal way of saying the singing was a touch nasal, as opposed to "nasally," which would mean the singer was singing nasally throughout.

But you'd have to ask Simon for clarification.

venja
08-27-2011, 02:39 AM
Here I am thinking this thread was about Nelly Furtado... :shuffle:

michiruwater
08-27-2011, 04:12 AM
I thought it was about Rihanna...

VIETgrlTerifa
08-27-2011, 04:42 AM
I thought it was about Rihanna...

Hey, she may be bad but she's perfectly good ;)

Cachoo
08-27-2011, 05:02 AM
I want Simon to say it however he pleases as long as it gets the point across---I hate the sound when it is all nasal. It seemed prolific in the 90's and less so this century. Nails on a chalkboard for me.

skateboy
08-27-2011, 06:46 AM
I want Simon to say it however he pleases as long as it gets the point across---I hate the sound when it is all nasal. It seemed prolific in the 90's and less so this century. Nails on a chalkboard for me.

Lol! I take it Willie Nelson is not one of your favorite singers...

nubka
08-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Diana Ross.

Jot the Dot Dot
08-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Canned Heat. "Goin' Up The Country".