PDA

View Full Version : Pat Summit diagnosed with early onset dementia

Garden Kitty
08-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Tennessee's women's basketball coach Pat Summitt diagnosed with early onset dementia. (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/aug/23/pat-summitt-diagnosed-early-onset-dementia/) However, she intends to continue coaching for now. Her spirit seems very good under the circumstances and I wish her luck in this fight.

Rottie
08-23-2011, 07:49 PM
OMG, I was just editing a book that featured her as one of its prime examples of a strong woman. I hope indeed she can make a fight of it and that medical breakthroughs come about that can assist her with that.

AYS
08-23-2011, 07:57 PM
That's really tough. :( I wish her the best.

hirshey girl
08-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm in shock and my heart is breaking for her, her family and her players. :( She's a fantastic coach and wonderful role model for girls. I've always told my daughter (who loves to play basketball) that maybe she can play for Coach Summit someday. It's hard to fathom that she won't be there (unless some amazing progress is made).

OlieRow
08-23-2011, 11:35 PM
My family has always been huge Lady Vol/Pat Summitt fans and following the team has been something my dad and I have enjoyed together over the last 15 yrs. I have the utmost respect for Coach Summitt, she's done so much not only for women's basketball but for women's sports in general. Knowing how dementia can be so brutal makes me feel for her family and friends - especially Tyler. Is he seriously a Jr in college!? I feel so old! As far as basketball is concerned, she's got some of the best (and most loyal) assistant coaches in the game by her side. I wonder if this was part of the reason Mickie DeMoss came back to Knoxville?

Beefcake
08-24-2011, 02:07 AM
:( Terrible news. So young. But she seems ready to fight ... luckily, with Alzheimer's (versus vascular dementia, from which my father passed this summer), one can influence the progression more.

This is absolutely lovely ...

Said Oklahoma head coach Sherri Coale: "I think it's important to remember that while Pat is a basketball coach, the architect of one of the most storied programs in the history of our sport, she is also a mother, and she's a daughter, and she's a friend. She's a person who life is happening to. It takes great, great courage to fight health issues; it takes even greater courage to fight them in front of the world. Pat's willingness to share this private battle speaks volumes about her strength and her character. She's modeled tenacity and endurance and optimism and faith for generations of athletes on the court. I know those athletes, we coaches, women's basketball fans, and sports fans in general will join in returning those gifts to her during this time of need."

Buzz
08-25-2011, 12:25 AM
That is terrible. My thouhts go out to her.

Garden Kitty
08-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Christine Brennan article about Summitt (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/story/2011-08-24/Fighting-Alzheimers-might-be-Pat-Summitts-greatest-legacy/50128594/1)