PDA

View Full Version : New Partnership! Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

Impromptu
08-23-2011, 08:39 PM
I was looking through old competition notes and realized that the first time I saw Samuelson/Bates and the first time I saw Pratt/Gilles was in 2002 at Lake Placid, then at Midwestern Sectionals. At LP, Samuelson/Bates competed in International Novice (their first year in Novice), finishing 5th -- Virtue/Moir won that competition; while Pratt/Gilles won the regular novice competition (their second season in Novice).

The first time they competed against each other was later that year at Mids. Pratt/Gilles won that competition (they won everything that season, including Nationals), while S/B finished 5th... unfortunately what I remember most from them at that competition was that they had a freak fall at the end of their program, I think Emily was badly injured :( because they had to rezamboni the ice to clean up the blood. [I might actually still have this competition on tape.]

But I remember liking both teams very much.

Mids that year was an amazing who's who, including skaters/teams who are still active: Alissa Czisny finished 2nd in Senior ladies (behind her sister), Evan Lysacek won Senior men (Ryan Bradley was 2nd, Ryan Jahnke 3rd, Braden Overett 4th, Rohene Ward 5th); Tiffany Vise and partner won pairs. In Junior: Davis/White finished 2nd; Castille/Okolski finished 2nd in pairs; Wesley Campbell 2nd in men while Jeremy Abbott was 9th; Novice men included John Coughlin (2nd - he was 5th in Junior pairs0, Charlie White (4th); Jonathan Cassar (6th) and Rockne Brubaker (15); Novice ladies included Katy Taylor (2nd) and Meryl Davis (12th).

Ziggy
08-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Pratt/Gilles were one of my favourite ice dance teams ever.

Hopefully this partnership will work out.

And more importantly, kick the shit out of Chock/Bates at Nats. :P

skatemommy
08-24-2011, 01:01 AM
^ Amen to that Ziggy, a big Amen! :) Em & Todd will get +4 GOE in the adorable department - I will so be rooting for them! Shibs be afraid, be very afraid! :P

Hedwig
08-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXvMqowOU5Q

apart from the fact that he seems to have a grammar problem ;) I am already rooting for them!! :kickass:

reese
08-24-2011, 01:00 PM
apart from the fact that he seems to have a grammar problem ;) I am already rooting for them!! :kickass:

Yeah, I noticed that too. He seems like a nice enough guy tho, judging by his other videos. Slightly self-involved, but what male ice dancer isn't, I guess.

mia joy
08-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Maybe it's a stupid question, but is he good enough for Emily? I haven't really followed his career, so I have no idea, but I really want her to have a partner she could have successes with.

And yes, I wanna see them kick Chock/Bates's asses too :P

Skittl1321
08-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Emily seems to think he is. He is not as accomplished as her, though.

I thought it was cute how he said the roles were very much reversed in the try-outs, with her trying out with a lot of men, and him sitting there thinking "I hope she picks me".

~tapdancer~
08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
I think Todd looks pretty good as an ice dancer. He's strong and sure. Edges and posture could get better but I think with Emily as his partner, he will improve. I always thought he seemed to be quite a good partner and I will be very interested to see what they can do together.

When you think about how long Emily and Evan skated together, it's only natural that she (and he) will have to adjust to skating with a different partner. I like what Emily said in the icenetwork article about feeling good with him already as far as stroking and push. That's the important basics and the lifts, spins, and footwork will come as they get more comfortable with each other.

I'm not down on Chock/Bates, though, I want to see them first before I decide which team impresses me more. I just can't see them as a team yet, though, I wouldn't have thought they would match up very well. But we'll see.

kirkbiggestfan
08-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Chock/Bates teamed up 2 months ago and stayed in the same coaching environment, where Igor probably choregraphed/recycled something in no time to get them ready for international assignments.
Samuelson/Gilles are entering a race against the clock to be ready by Nationals. 4 months is not a long time to get ready to kick C/B's behind.

overedge
08-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Emily seems to think he is. He is not as accomplished as her, though.

In terms of national and international placements, yes. But that doesn't mean he isn't a good a skater as she is, or that he isn't capable of being a good a skater as she is. IMO the programs that he and Trina Pratt did with Christopher Dean >>>>>>>> anything that Samuelson/Bates ever came up with.

skatemommy
08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Can anyone speak to if Em & Todd might get a bye to Nationals via not enough teams at Sectionals?

allezfred
08-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Ginger Bears! :cheer2: Does that mean we should eat red gummi bears whenever they skate? I miss eating foods for skaters.

You could call them the Carrot Tops and have carrots instead. They're healthier.

peibeck
08-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Eys, but Carrot Tops reminds me of that awful comedian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CarrotTop.jpg). :yikes:

Pikachuusb
08-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Eys, but Carrot Tops reminds me of that awful comedian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CarrotTop.jpg). :yikes:

Ugh, yes we will pass on that name :yikes: he is instantly the 1st thing I think of. And he is gross & scary as all get out:scream:

I sooooooo want them to kick Chock & Bates butts!!

Im off to buy Cinnamon Teddy graham cookies, red gummy bears & ginger tea. My boyfriend thought it was funny :rofl:

Tammi
08-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Can anyone speak to if Em & Todd might get a bye to Nationals via not enough teams at Sectionals?I have to think that some midwestern teams are moving to pacifics. If everyone has spread themselves out, potentially, you'd have 5 teams at each section for senior.