PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68

millyskate
10-08-2011, 01:25 PM
DUFOURNET Youna with the second highest UB score so far. I seemed to have lived under a rock because I never heard about her before.
Is she around a long time already?

She's been making Euro finals for a few years. Just missed out on a UB medal last year because the coach touched her whilst spotting - which created a scandal because the french fed, which as always been really dictatorial with the gymnasts, refuses to let her have her own coach at comps, due to her not wanting to join the Paris training center.
Then, at the following comp, her coach was there and made such a point of standing back that she fell and got injured badly... she is just on the way back.

ETA: Downie also on the way back from injury, and since GB had qualified they didn't risk her vaulting.

Hedwig
10-08-2011, 01:28 PM
And Japan as well with the 5th place.
Nailbiter for the teams who wanted to qualify a full team.

Hedwig
10-08-2011, 01:29 PM
She's been making Euro finals for a few years. Just missed out on a UB medal last year because the coach touched her whilst spotting - which created a scandal because the french fed, which as always been really dictatorial with the gymnasts, refuses to let her have her own coach at comps, due to her not wanting to join the Paris training center.
Then, at the following comp, her coach was there and made such a point of standing back that she fell and got injured badly... she is just on the way back.

ETA: Downie also on the way back from injury, and since GB had qualified they didn't risk her vaulting.

ugh, interesting. Thanks for the info.

gingercrush
10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Wheeee Tsurumi with a great score in UB to qualify third.

gingercrush
10-08-2011, 01:33 PM
And Teramoto.

Domshabfan
10-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Does anyone have the link to the longines timing live scores?
http://swt-cis-srv-011.st-innovation.com/CisWebApp/index.html

Fergus
10-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Wowzers, well done USA ladies!!! :biggrinbo :cheer2:

:( that Mitchell didn't make the Floor final.

Maofan7
10-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Wowzers, well done USA ladies!!! :biggrinbo :cheer2:

:( that Mitchell didn't make the Floor final.

Lauren Mitchell has not been performing well all season. Shame. Hope she turns things around in time for the Olympics in London

Here are the final results re qualification:-

Qualification - Result (http://www.gymnasticsresults.com/worlds/2011/tokyo.html)

HeatherC
10-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Wow, USA still in first after prelims, four girls made event finals, and all five AAers are in the top twelve! That's impressive. Good job US ladies! So proud of them. Anything else that happens now is just extra as far as I'm concerned and I just hope that they do their best again in the finals. Go USA! :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer:

And please stop with the comments about injuries to gymnasts you don't like in this competition. There have been MORE than enough of those for just about everyone this year. We don't need anymore girls getting hurt. :( :yikes:

Spareoom
10-08-2011, 04:05 PM
IG is down, so I guess I'm gonna post here in the meantime, lol.

Here is the EF working order, in case anyone was interested.

VT:
1. MORENO MEDINA
2. FERNANDES BARB.
3. PHAN T.
4. NABIEVA Tatiana
5. PENA ABREU Y.
6. MARONEY M.
7. STEINGRUBER G.
8. CHUSOVITINA O.

UB:
1. DOUGLAS G.
2. KOMOVA Victoria
3. TERAMOTO Asuka
4. TSURUMI Koko
5. HUANG Qiushuang
6. WIEBER Jordyn
7. DUFOURNET Youna
8. NABIEVA Tatiana

BB:
1. PONOR Catalina
2. HUANG Qiushuang
3. YAO Jinnan
4. KOMOVA Victoria
5. WIEBER Jordyn
6. RAISMAN A.
7. SUI Lu
8. RACEA E.

FX:
1. WIEBER Jordyn
2. BULIMAR D.
3. YAO Jinnan
4. RAISMAN A.
5. SUI Lu
6. TWEDDLE E.
7. FERRARI Vanessa
8. KOMOVA Victoria

Kind of fitting that Komova is going to be closing out the World Championships. Although she is probably wishing she hadn't won that tiebreaker with Sui Li on BB; it would have given her a much better spot to compete in.

Gabby goes up first on UB; not the best medal-wise but probably best for her, since she will be able to compete right away and won't have time to psych herself out.

Maofan7
10-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Very impressive score by Komova and there is plenty of scope for her to improve on that. If she gets her Amanar right in the vault, that would take her close to 15. And simply getting rid of the errors in her floor routine would get her to around 14.8 - 15.0 in the floor. Hence, she could get close to 61.0 - 61.5 and that would be difficult to beat in the all-around. As for the team competition, unless Dementyeva gets her act together from what was a very poor performance, then the USA will win that easily. Dementyeva was scoring 59 plus in the all-around up to a month ago and she was 5 points down on that in qualification. Simply her getting back to 59.0 plus form would take the Russians past the USA by itself

reese
10-08-2011, 04:11 PM
So Nastia announced her 2012 comeback today. Bars and beam only, apparently.

bek
10-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Very impressive score by Komova and there is plenty of scope for her to improve on that. If she gets her Amanar right in the vault, that would take her close to 15. And simply getting rid of the errors in her floor routine would get her to around 14.8 - 15.0 in the floor. Hence, she could get close to 61.0 - 61.5 and that would be difficult to beat in the all-around. As for the team competition, unless Dementyeva gets her act together from what was a very poor performance, then the USA will win that easily. Dementyeva was scoring 59 plus in the all-around up to a month ago and she was 5 points down on that in qualification. Simply her getting back to 59.0 plus form would take the Russians past the USA by itself

Anna hasn't looked good in training perhaps she peaked earlier. I must say if I'm the Russian coaches the only person on this team that is a lock for the Olympics next year is Komova and that's always been the case. Ksensia and Anna both have their good qualities but their inconsistency (Anna may be Russian and European AA champion but she wasn't spectacular in Team Finals last year nor is she this year) If I'm Alexandrov I'm thinking Komova, Mustafina, Grishina (they'll take Aliya for bars alone), Sidorova, and whoever fills the hole. Sidorova is a fabulous 3 event gymnast who reportedly now has the Amanar.

Hedwig
10-08-2011, 04:31 PM
I created a new thread:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3314972#post3314972

Spareoom
10-08-2011, 04:32 PM
I thought this was funny...

http://www.gymnastike.org/coverage/240242-World-Gymnastics-Championships-Tokyo-2011/video/509478-McKayla-Maroney-of-USA-after-topping-the-Vault-Standings-in-World-Qualifications-mckayla-maroney

At the very end, McKayla is talking about how Aly stepped up and was the leader of the team and was awesome, and you can see Aly in the corner of the screen and she looks straight at the McKayla and gives this smile like, "You know it, gurl!" I died, lol. Probably a coincidence, but I thought it was funny.

AA finals should be interesting...I suppose one disadvantage that Komova has is that while she can compete the Amanar, apparently she's only landed one in training so far. She'd have to make the decision at the start of the competition to compete it or not, and it would be a gamble for her. Her bars score was massive...I watched it and I am not sure where all the points came from in relation to all the other UB routines, but then again I'm not code savvy and I'm no judge.

Obviously I'm a Jordyn fan so I want her to win, but maybe it would be good if she didn't; the reigning AA champion hasn't won the Olympics in who knows how long. :p ;)