PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

ilovesalchows
10-07-2011, 11:00 PM
It is a different list with a different deadline for Finals. I still think we will see Anna.

Allen
10-07-2011, 11:17 PM
It is a different list with a different deadline for Finals. I still think we will see Anna.

I'm hoping that's the case. Otherwise, it bothers me that not only is Anna not on the list, but she's still doing workouts with the injury.

BigB08822
10-07-2011, 11:26 PM
I have said all along that surely we will see Anna in TF using the injury rule. If Marta STILL doesn't use Anna and keeps Alicia on the roster then Marta needs to be fired immediately upon arrival in the U.S. It would be different if Anna's injury kept her from training but her last blog post said she was still training AND the injury was feeling a lot better. Even if she had to lower her difficulty she would still be a better option than Vega, Maroney or Raisman.

Allen
10-07-2011, 11:30 PM
I have said all along that surely we will see Anna in TF using the injury rule. If Marta STILL doesn't use Anna and keeps Alicia on the roster then Marta needs to be fired immediately upon arrival in the U.S. It would be different if Anna's injury kept her from training but her last blog post said she was still training AND the injury was feeling a lot better. Even if she had to lower her difficulty she would still be a better option than Vega, Maroney or Raisman.

I guess they are trying to maybe rest her for team finals, but why not still go ahead and put her on the list? According to her blog, she hit all of her practice routines.

A lot of people are really angry about this situation. USA Gymnastics has moved fan comments off of their main Facebook page (you have to click a link at the top to see them). Before that, they were deleting posts that referred to the selection camps as "death camps" (which I can understand that they would not want to be associated with the Holocaust connotation of that phrase).

BigB08822
10-07-2011, 11:34 PM
The sad thing is that no matter what happens, nothing will change with the Olympics less than a year away. Marta has said she was retiring after London as it is. I know the Karoly's have said this MANY times but this time it will be for real and she will walk away without ever having to answer for what she has done. I wish they would step up and fire her NOW.

I know this will never happen in the U.S. but I like the idea of a truly centralized training system. Marta tried to imitate it as best she could but I think it only works with 100% commitment. If all the girls are in your gym all the time then you don't need to drill them once a week for an entire month leading up to Worlds. You will know who is having consistency issues and who is injured. No worries of someone hiding an injury or suddenly having troubles on their best events. If the U.S. could go to this system we would see great results without all the injuries from forcing the gymnasts to do so much. I just don't see it happening.

Allen
10-07-2011, 11:46 PM
The sad thing is that no matter what happens, nothing will change with the Olympics less than a year away. Marta has said she was retiring after London as it is. I know the Karoly's have said this MANY times but this time it will be for real and she will walk away without ever having to answer for what she has done. I wish they would step up and fire her NOW

Right. Martha and Bela were supposedly retiring after the 1996 Olympics. There is no denying the success the US team has had since Martha took over as team coordinator (although many argue that there would have been a lot more success without the strenuous training camps).

Steve Rybacki is in line to take over after Martha, right? I can't say I'm a fan of the idea. I assume things will continue to go in the same direction Martha went. There was quite a bit of talk about Suzanne Yoculan becoming the coordinator after she retired from UGA in 2009. I wonder how she would do in the position?

BigB08822
10-08-2011, 12:17 AM
All the talk about Yoculan taking over came from NCAA fans who think she is capable of taking any team to titles because of her success at UGA. That may or may not be true but she has never hinted at being considered for the job and I seriously doubt Marta and company would ever dare hand over the reigns to an NCAA coach.

Louis
10-08-2011, 12:32 AM
The only situation that even halfway makes sense is that when the first list was submitted, the extent of Alicia's injury was unknown and Martha thought she may be able to have Alicia vault in finals. Otherwise, why the heck would you have an athlete in need of immediate surgery on your team roster? I don't see Martha as the type to do it just so Alicia can get a medal.

mkats
10-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Well, Marta did list Nastia as the alternate on floor, vault, and beam in 2006 when she was clearly too injured to compete anything but bars - and we had two perfectly healthy other girls (Natasha Kelly, Jacqueline Johnson) who got to sit the whole thing out. I wonder what she would've done if Chellsie, Jana, or Alicia got injured and couldn't compete...

Scintillation
10-08-2011, 01:33 AM
My god I missed alot. Count me in on hoping Marta will put Anna in on the finals--to leave her out now would be an atrocious mistake. That woman makes me so mad...
And I hope Alicia has a successful recovery. :( I would hate for her to miss out on London because of this.

mkats
10-08-2011, 01:35 AM
USA Gymnastics has tweeted a desktop background of the team - without Anna.

Allen
10-08-2011, 01:54 AM
USA Gymnastics just posted a corrected wallpaper with Li on Facebook.

The women of Team USA begin their competition at the 2011 World Championships in 3 1/2 - 12:15 a.m. Eastern. Show your support with this Team USA wallpaper! Again, we apologize for not including Anna Li in the first version of this we posted. Go USA!

judgejudy27
10-08-2011, 02:13 AM
My god I missed alot. Count me in on hoping Marta will put Anna in on the finals--to leave her out now would be an atrocious mistake. That woman makes me so mad...
And I hope Alicia has a successful recovery. :( I would hate for her to miss out on London because of this.

Alicia was far from a lock for London even before the injury. Hopefully she is able to even seriously bid for a spot on the team now.

mkats
10-08-2011, 02:47 AM
USA Gymnastics just posted a corrected wallpaper with Li on Facebook.

There we go, much better :)

Maofan7
10-08-2011, 02:52 AM
The lead up to this years Worlds has just been a complete injury fest. The United States have now lost Sacramone to an Achilles injury having only recently lost Bross. Russia lost Mustafina to an ACL at the Europeans and Komova has only recently returned from an ankle injury and is still nowhere near her best. Romania have also lost Sandra Izbasa. Hence, most teams are going in with a weakened team. I am still betting on the United States, though, as they still have a fully fit Jordyn Wieber.

Here are the latest results (apologies if already posted):-

http://www.gymnasticsresults.com/worlds/2011/tokyo.html