PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Hedwig
10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
A country can name 6 athletes to the team. And if they win a medal they will all get one regardless if they ever competed or not. In an extreme scenario, a country could only use 4 gymnasts during the whole competition but have 6 gymnasts on the team. They would all get a medal.

Scintillation
10-06-2011, 02:50 PM
If the US finishes 8th in qualification it will probably convince Marta that she needs to be holding more mock competitions and training sessions, because that's how she thinks. She'll blame the girls' mental capabilities and not the fact that they are broken and burned out. :mad:
I hope Alicia's injury isn't a career-ender--I really wanted her to do that new vault at least once so it could be named after her.

bek
10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
In here it says that Sloan is injured as well. that is not true, is it? I think the German press is just flubbergasted that a former AA gold medallist is not on the team.
http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/1214719
Bridget is recovering from injury and given ours bars need would have probably made the team. BUT next year I think she'll actually have a difficult time making the squad even if she's 100% healthy. The talk about Bridget is that Bridget is actually kind of lazy for an elite gymnast. She doesn't train that hard (believe it or not) she's a natural talent. She probably wants to peak for next year too. Her laziness probably helps in the Marta school of overtraining though. :lol:

BUT, even at her best without some serious upgrades or injuries, she'll have a difficult shot making the team because she doesn't provide a big score anywhere. She's a good bar worker but not a great one, (not necessarily better than Bross, Wieber or Ross) she doesn't have an Amanar and her tumbling is good but she's not a huge scorer on floor either. She's not great on beam.

The US has a youngster like Ross who is as good of a bar worker as Bridget (maybe more consistent and likely to upgrade). Has an Amanar and is a much better beam worker.

Bridget frankly was very lucky to win the World AA title. She won because a lot of top gymnasts retired but even leave that out and we can mention that a lot of gymnast who were competiting this quad and successfully at that were not at that worlds. Ksensia Afansyeva and Jiang Yuyuan both did much better in Olympic prelims than Sloan but weren't even at Worlds due to injuries. Obviously Afan is inconsistent but when Afan hits she is the better gymnast. Ksensia did much better at Olympic prelims than Sloan did. Jiang is pretty consistent and really is the better gymnast. Jiang actually had the highest AA total that year. Then age rules kept Mustafina out and Komova and Wieber. So sure Bridget won the World AA title, but she won partly because Bross is a bit of a headcase, and Mustafina, Komova, Wieber, Afanyseva, Jiang weren't there. And that's not even including Bross's screw up.

Bridget's world title is kind of like Meissner's world title. She's one of the luckiest world title winners ever really. The Us has depth and they need someone who can provide some big scores. Really though one could point out Afansyeva, and Jiang will likely have difficulty making their Olympic squads. And obviously other nations would be thrilled to have Afanyseva, Jiang or Sloan.. And heck their respective nations would probably consider making trades for them. Marta would love to have Jiang for bars.. :lol:

judgejudy27
10-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Sloan is probably the weakest World AA winner ever. I know some will say Olaru or Ferrari. However fact is while many dislike her Ferrari was one of the best during that period. The next year she was injured, fell, and made other mistakes, and still medalled in the AA, had she hit all her routines she would have been close with Johnson. Olaru in 98-99 was one of the best AA gymnasts too, and did medal in the 2000 Olympic AA when nobody expected anything of her after some injuries. She was also clearly one of the top 3 Romanian gymansts at a time Romania was dominating team competition. Sloan barely made the 08 Olympic team, probably only due to other injuries, barely made the 2010 World team, and won the World AA title in between that. Really overall she is nowhere near the force even Ferrari or Olaru were for several years.

As for making the Olympic team Sloan would be wise to just work her ass off on upgrading bars and make herself a far more super bar worker than she has ever been. She is never going to make it as an AA gymnast, and she is unlikely to be needed on floor even with upgrades, and on vault unless she can master an excellent Amanar she wont be needed either. Bars is where the U.S has its greatest need but that will be less true next year most likely, so she is going to have to get alot better on it than she currently is to make a case for herself.

her grace
10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
USAG ought to replace Marta with Kelli Hill. Hill has proven that she can work with many different types of gymnasts (Dawes, Ray, and Kupets are hardly clones of each other like at some gyms), and she actually believes in pacing gymnasts.

Hedwig
10-06-2011, 03:39 PM
"As of the time of posting this article, "Alicia Sacramone" was the number two trending search term on Yahoo."
http://www.insidegymnastics.com/content/show/newsarticle.aspx?articleid=1252&zoneid=1

Fridge_Break
10-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Was super gutted to wake up this morning and see the news :( I just hope this is the last of it -- and the last of Marta. It's scary knowing the team is down to five and Aly has potentially banged up ankles and Mckayla's been going with an injured back. I wish they had flown out Shawn just in case. Or moreso, I wish she had been sent with the team to start with, especially with Anna having been injured and worn out beforehand.

Domshabfan
10-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Link for team start up and live score update when the competition starts is below

http://swt-cis-srv-011.st-innovation.com/CisWebApp/index.html

haribobo
10-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Is it strange that Douglas is going last on beam? Isn't Wieber the best on that event? I'll have to look back at Nationals scores.

ilovesalchows
10-06-2011, 04:37 PM
I think they want to take the pressure off Douglas since she is such a beam headcase. By that point, hopefully we will have had 4 decent scores.

Lara
10-06-2011, 05:16 PM
But that could easily backfire if the previous gymnasts fall. You'd think someplace mid-lineup would be least pressure.

Fridge_Break
10-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Maybe they're putting her last so that if the other 4 hit, she won't even need to do a routine. Lots of teams do that, especially in NCAA gymnastics.

I did find it odd that Wieber wasn't anchoring any of the events when I first saw the lineups.

Loves_Shizuka
10-06-2011, 05:53 PM
It's not unusual to put your strongest gymnasts in the middle of the line-up; that takes the pressure off the later starters (supposedly) AND occassionally bumps up the anchor score. Or so the theory goes.

ilovesalchows
10-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Putting a gymnast after Wieber has the potential to bump up that gymnast's score if she hits. Wieber will be rewarded by the judges for rep.

And anyway, with Douglas's track record on beam, any strategy is as good as the next!

4rkidz
10-06-2011, 06:04 PM
looks like the USA gymnastics aren't editing out the comments anymore so I wander if this is the start of the end of the current system? I think this mentality of training gymnasts like horses which was typical under the old systems needs updated..

when the rest of the world is looking at long term athlete development models this type of training 'till you drop' (literally) is really out of synch.. I hope this awful situation leads to some serious thinking upon the powers that be.. :kickass: