PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

floskate
10-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Unbelievable!! How freaking dumb is Marta Karolyi and when is someone going to do something about her???? :rolleyes: :wall: :yikes:

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Not another US injury, thank Prod, but looks like another gymnast may be down. :(

Livichkova

Since we're playing the 'needs to be fired last decade game :D' I'm gonna go ahead and blame Grandi. That senile old goat makes Speedy look like an amazing head of sport.

Domshabfan
10-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Not another US injury, thank Prod, but looks like another gymnast may be down. :(

Livichkova

Since we're playing the 'needs to be fired last decade game :D' I'm gonna go ahead and blame Grandi. That senile old goat makes Speedy look like an amazing head of sport.

Well, Grandi has already taken anticipatory bail earlier this year by saying that the code is causing injuries and asked for overhaul of the code. Very likely 2013-2016 code will try to address this, but i am sure they will make things bad.

vesperholly
10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
If Anna Li can compete

Is she definitely out, or no?

Karpenko
10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
The lineups are out and I guess Alicia isn't on them, but still on the roster (which means she'll still get a medal if the US team wins one). I think the US can still win, but they cant afford any mistakes and it cant look anything like last years TF. This is going to be a very unpredictable Worlds, and I really almost dont even want to care about it anymore with Alicia out. :wuzrobbed

Domshabfan
10-06-2011, 11:05 AM
The lineups are out and I guess Alicia isn't on them, but still on the roster (which means she'll still get a medal if the US team wins one). I think the US can still win, but they cant afford any mistakes and it cant look anything like last years TF. This is going to be a very unpredictable Worlds, and I really almost dont even want to care about it anymore with Alicia out. :wuzrobbed

No, you have to be in the team in the team finals to get the medal. US gymnastics can give her a medal, but that is not a FIG world championship medal.

oleada
10-06-2011, 12:19 PM
USAG has confirmed that Alicia injured her Achilles:

Sacramone injured her Achilles tendon earlier today while tumbling on floor exercise during training. The results of her diagnostic tests, which were taken at a local hospital, have been sent to Sacramone’s physician back in the States for evaluation, which will dictate the next steps. An update will be provided once a final diagnosis is made.

http://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=8735&prog=

Domshabfan
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
USAG has confirmed that Alicia injured her Achilles:

http://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=8735&prog=

To add to oleada post, the new US line-up for qualification does not include Sacromone or Li. (http://www.thecouchgymnast.com/?p=4025) All 5 athletes are doing AA in qualifications.

vault – Vega, Douglas, Raisman, Wieber, Maroney;

uneven bars – Raisman, Maroney, Vega, Wieber, Douglas;

balance beam – Maroney, Vega, Raisman, Wieber, Douglas

floor exercise – Douglas, Vega, Wieber, Maroney, Raisman.

Romanian line-up (http://www.thecouchgymnast.com/?p=4021) is also interesting with Racea or Chelaru not doing the AA, they where 3rd and 4th at the european AA respectively.

Vault: Ana Porgas, Diana Chelaru, Amelia Racea, Raluca Haidu, Catalina Ponor
Uneven Bars: Diana Bulimar, Raluca Haidu, Amelia Racea, Ana Porgras, Diana Chelaru
Balance Beam: Amelia Racea, Diana Bulimar, Catalina Ponor, Ana Porgras, Raluca Haidu
Floor Exercise: Raluca Haidu, Diana Chelaru, Ana Porgras, Diana Bulimar, Catalina Ponor

Hedwig
10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
I know that it was a sad mishap (or rather several) that made it happen but the purist in me likes it that all five US girls do the AA like in the good old days.
I also think that it adds to the suspense who makes the AA and that anyone on a good day might make it instead of the head coach deciding beforehand who will qualify.

haribobo
10-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Maybe its a good thing if Shawn isn't coming. She just bought all those groceries, I'd hate to see them go bad while she was at Worlds. :P

reese
10-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Part of me hopes the US finishes like 8th in qualification. I just hate Marta so much.

Buzz
10-06-2011, 01:56 PM
I read on a blog that ASac is out with injurey. Is this true? It would be really too bad if it was. She is one of my favs. :(

Hedwig
10-06-2011, 02:09 PM
In here it says that Sloan is injured as well. that is not true, is it? I think the German press is just flubbergasted that a former AA gold medallist is not on the team.
http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/1214719

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 02:15 PM
No, you have to be in the team in the team finals to get the medal. US gymnastics can give her a medal, but that is not a FIG world championship medal.

Are you saying you have to compete in TF to get a medal? I don't think that is true. You simply have to be on the team. If Alicia stays on as an official team member, even if she doesn't compete one routine, she can get a medal. If she was bumped off to alternate then I don't think she would get a medal. But with only 3 up 3 count there are plenty of times where someone may not even go up in TF if they had a rough go of it in prelims (McCool 2004) or have an injury that is getting worse.

reese
10-06-2011, 02:24 PM
It sounds like Alicia might be down on the floor with the team? Bopping around in her cast or something?

Nancy Armour said in her article that if the US medals, Alicia will also get a medal because she's still on the roster. Anna Li is still the alternate and will not get a medal.