PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 06:06 AM
But if a 14 hour time difference and it starts in two days.. wouldn't it be a bit dangerous for her to get there and compete straight away? When my daughter was competing (different sport) they had to allow for the time difference for their body to adjust as if not would be in a fog :confused: don't get me wrong I would love for Shawn to be there - she was one of my picks.. but not sure if there is enough time??

She would need to leave immediately and use prelims as her podium training. Maybe even play it safe on vault for her. But I think she could swing a bar set and do beam so long as she got there tomorrow. It may not matter with Raisman being ok. I still think they should fly her out since we can't afford any more injuries.

4rkidz
10-06-2011, 06:09 AM
I hope I am not repeating myself, I am going back and forth between two message boards.

I wonder if Sacramone hurt her Achilles. It is a common injury on takeoffs which is supposedly when her injury happened. Plus I read that she was seen icing her heel area the last few days.

I read it was from landing her double Arabian and she walked away from it only then to get it iced and put on crutches.. which to me would suggest that its not as serious as an Achilles tear or something of that magnitude??
http://networkedblogs.com/o3HJC

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 06:10 AM
I read it was from landing her double Arabian and she walked away from it only then to get it iced and put on crutches.. which to me would suggest that its not as serious as an Achilles tear or something of that magnitude??
http://networkedblogs.com/o3HJC

You are right. That wouldn't be as bad. She wouldn't walk on an achilles tear.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-06-2011, 06:13 AM
If Anna Li can compete, then I hope to Pod that she remembers her UCLA days of constant competition, pressure, crunch time, multitasking with her course load, loud fanfare and crowds, and Super Six and hit her freakn' bars routine like her never hit them before. Then do it again for TF, then again for herself because I have no doubt that if she hits her bars, she'll qualify for UB EF.

ETA:

I keep hearing conflicting stories regarding Sac's injury. I heard she did not walk away and had to be carried out. I wish we could have some official word.

Karpenko
10-06-2011, 06:21 AM
I am so gutted about Alicia, she looked absolutely amazing in training. :fragile: I hate you Marta Karolyi, this is the last ****ing straw. This woman needs to be fired, we don't need 3 of our top gymnasts burning out and geting injured because of your severe training methods every freaking goddamn year!!

Loves_Shizuka
10-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Ouch. Hope ASac is OK. Surely there's no time for Shawn to compete? There's the flight, the jetlag, the training needed on this particularly bouncy equipment... Is it at all possible?

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Has anyone seen this pic?
http://c2971522.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/BvECxBRoXJ2tchQKk9nv.jpg

Does anyone even want to guess who elses leg is so heavily iced? I know that isn't unusual in this sport but it is worrisome. It isn't Maroney or Raisman since we can see them in the picture. It isn't Gabby because she is black. That leaves Weiber, Vega or Li. I guess it could be Li, she has dealt with ankle issues forever and even just training bar means landing on that ankle for dismounts. Hopefully it is nothing new.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-06-2011, 06:31 AM
Has anyone seen this pic?
http://c2971522.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/BvECxBRoXJ2tchQKk9nv.jpg

Does anyone even want to guess who elses leg is so heavily iced? I know that isn't unusual in this sport but it is worrisome. It isn't Maroney or Raisman since we can see them in the picture. It isn't Gabby because she is black. That leaves Weiber, Vega or Li. I guess it could be Li, she has dealt with ankle issues forever and even just training bar means landing on that ankle for dismounts. Hopefully it is nothing new.

It's probably Li.

She has those ankle issues and we know she's still been training.

Loves_Shizuka
10-06-2011, 06:31 AM
^Poor Alicia in that pic.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-06-2011, 06:47 AM
For those of you with FB, USAG's FB page is filled with angry posts towards them and Marta. IG magazine has picked the story up.

http://www.facebook.com/USAGymnastics?sk=wall

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 06:55 AM
This is putting the US Olympic qualification in jeopardy. Not that I think we wont qualify and not that we wouldn't surely make it in the last chance meet next year but this is beyond ridiculous. Injuries happen and sometimes nothing can be done but these gymnasts are expected to be in peak condition for well over a month and then we wonder why the break before or during the competition. The ones that make it through find out later that they were competing on broken bones. Something must be done. Thank God they are naming the team at Trials next year, no chance to have more competitions at the camp before deciding the team although I am sure Marta will try.

bek
10-06-2011, 07:03 AM
This is putting the US Olympic qualification in jeopardy. Not that I think we wont qualify and not that we wouldn't surely make it in the last chance meet next year but this is beyond ridiculous. Injuries happen and sometimes nothing can be done but these gymnasts are expected to be in peak condition for well over a month and then we wonder why the break before or during the competition. The ones that make it through find out later that they were competing on broken bones. Something must be done. Thank God they are naming the team at Trials next year, no chance to have more competitions at the camp before deciding the team although I am sure Marta will try.

I frankly don't understand why Li is even here. Talk is they knew she was injured at a selection camp. Why pray tell would they have her show when she's that injured. An one event alternate-seriously?

To be quite frank some of it is the scoring system. Look at Miss Komova's injury, Mustafina's injury, and Paseka's injury. Romania's out Sandra. This being said I have to give some praise to Belu. People can say what they want and I don't like everything about him. But Belu got by with far less options than a lot of other teams for a lot of years because he found a way to keep his gymnasts somewhat healthy. Credit goes there to him.

I'm not sure what to think about Marta. She kind of loses me with her callousness of insisting on Bross doing vault at Nationals. When one looks at the Russians at least holding Komova off her Amanar until Worlds, one can see a difference there in priorities. One wonders if Marta had Mustafina, if she'd be insisting on Aliya doing bars only even if it set back her ankle.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-06-2011, 07:05 AM
I frankly don't understand why Li is even here. Talk is they knew she was injured at a selection camp. Why pray tell would they have her show when she's that injured. An one event alternate-seriously?

Because Marta's philosophy on injuries is that if a gymnast is injured, have her train endlessly and compete anyway.

Loves_Shizuka
10-06-2011, 07:10 AM
The Li situation is a bit weird; she made mistakes in a few key performances, was reportedly injured BEFORE they flew to worlds - so she gets named to the team?!

Call me crazy though, but I still think the US can win gold...

VIETgrlTerifa
10-06-2011, 07:12 AM
I think they were banking on Li's UB score. With a hit routine, she'd score in the 15.000s. With a routine with breaks...14.000 range. With one fall...lower 14.000 range. Again, Marta was just hoping Li will "toughen up" and perform injury or no.