PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 05:34 AM
This is just awful. Johnson better be on her way. Too bad Memmel had to have surgery or she would be on a plane, too. Can we use Sloan?

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-06-2011, 05:37 AM
This is just awful. Johnson better be on her way. Too bad Memmel had to have surgery or she would be on a plane, too. Can we use Sloan?

Didn't someone post up thread that Sloan had been looking good on bars at camp?

I'd fly in both her and Shawn just in case.

Don't forget, Mckayla has her back issues too.

How the hell is Vega the only truly healthy elite USA appears to have?

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 05:41 AM
The only silver lining I see is that if we use Li now as a team member then IF she hits bars (if she is even capable with her injury, I think she is) then that will be an unexpected boost to that event. Maybe it will help with the loss we are going to now suffer on vault. Our vault lineup will still be enviable but we were relying on 3 huge vaults to make up for our UB deficit. I worry about Sac's achilles since the report says it happened on a take off of a double arabian, Kupets knows all about that. Raisman hopefully just tweaked hers, a report said she was back on bars later. Hopefully she will be fine. With some insane luck Sacramone will be fine as well but the report seems serious.

They need to fly in Johnson and someone else, stat. They may not have much time at all to practice but they can use prelims as a good podium training. Even with these injuries the US will qualify in just fine.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-06-2011, 05:41 AM
How can the girls fly to Tokyo and recover from jet lag and get used to the equipment when Preliminaries start in about two days? Also, there's no guarantee we'll even make it to Team Finals if Alicia, Aly, and Anna are all out. In fact, we may be in danger of making the top 16 and qualifying a full team to the Olympics. I know it sounds sort of sensational to think that way, but we seriously need to count on the four remaining gymnasts to hit on every apparatus.

ETA: Just read BigB08822's post. Whew. If we have Aly, then that makes me feel a lot better. Sorry for the freak out.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Nastia is in Tokyo.

Have her throw on a leo. She could still probably outscore all of the USA girlies on bars.

I'm being facetious obviously. She'd have that whole drug testing thing preventing her from being eligible to compete. Still, it's pathetic that that seems like team USA's best option.

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 05:49 AM
We are still easily qualifying, even if we lost Sacramone and Raisman AND Li. Johnson would fly in and she would cover a TF spot on bars and beam. Vega would have to go up on FX as well as would Maroney. We would be covered. It wouldn't be our best team, not by far, but we would by easily qualified and still fighting for a medal and possibly gold. By the way, we can use Li on bars. She has never stopped training this week. I am not sure what her potential is but if she could pull out a decent set that is all that matters. Don't forget, we only need 4 up on each event in prelims. The 5th score doesn't count so we could bypass that routine.

With Johnson on the team (assuming Raisman and Sacramone are out, so a worst case scenario):

Floor: Douglas, Maroney, Vega, Weiber
Bars: Maroney, Vega, Douglas, Weiber, Li
Beam: Douglas, Maroney, Vega, Weiber, Johnson
Vault: Vega, Douglas, Johnson, Weiber, Maroney

We would be down to 4 on floor since Li and Johnson are not ready for that event. It would be scary, any injuries during the competition and I have no idea what the US would do.

4rkidz
10-06-2011, 05:50 AM
well two hours ago Shawn J tweeted she was grocery shopping - so unless its a grocery store in the sky she isn't heading anywhere... which is too bad :(

VIETgrlTerifa
10-06-2011, 05:51 AM
If this doesn't cause USAG to reevaluate things for next year and every year afterwards, then there's no hope.

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 05:55 AM
well two hours ago Shawn J tweeted she was grocery shopping - so unless its a grocery store in the sky she isn't heading anywhere... which is too bad :(

Well two hours ago no one knew she would be needed. I assume she would be flying out first thing tomorrow. It will all depend on Raisman. If her ankle was just hurt but nothing serious then Li will just be added on the official team and used in bars while everything else will stay the same with the odd person out previously on beam, floor and vault stepping up and doing prelims.

oleada
10-06-2011, 05:58 AM
From Nancy Armour:

nrarmour Nancy Armour
Raisman landed short on a beam dismount but is fine.
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

nrarmour Nancy Armour
Lots of rumors flying around but here's what we KNOW: Sacramone hurt her ankle and is being evaluated. Raisman is NOT hurt or in doubt.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Thank the deity of your choice Raisman is okay.

Lara
10-06-2011, 06:02 AM
:( for Alicia but thank goodness Aly is fine.

I know some things are just plain bad luck but :wall:

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Glad to hear Raisman is fine.

4rkidz
10-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Well two hours ago no one knew she would be needed. I assume she would be flying out first thing tomorrow. It will all depend on Raisman. If her ankle was just hurt but nothing serious then Li will just be added on the official team and used in bars while everything else will stay the same with the odd person out previously on beam, floor and vault stepping up and doing prelims.

But if a 14 hour time difference and it starts in two days.. wouldn't it be a bit dangerous for her to get there and compete straight away? When my daughter was competing (different sport) they had to allow for the time difference for their body to adjust as if not would be in a fog :confused: don't get me wrong I would love for Shawn to be there - she was one of my picks.. but not sure if there is enough time??

BigB08822
10-06-2011, 06:04 AM
I hope I am not repeating myself, I am going back and forth between two message boards.

I wonder if Sacramone hurt her Achilles. It is a common injury on takeoffs which is supposedly when her injury happened. Plus I read that she was seen icing her heel area the last few days.