PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-04-2011, 09:27 PM
So my question is, if Ana was hurt in training camp, why is she on the team in the first place?

Because even with a big mistake she could still score similarily to Maroney/Raisman/Vega. Her D score is high enough.

The lack of depth on bars is really astounding. Wofford could've been a contender if she had had time to come back from her injury.

Thanks god Ross will be eligible next year and Becca will be back.

OnyxRose81
10-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Because even with a big mistake she could still score similarily to Maroney/Raisman/Vega. Her D score is high enough.

The lack of depth on bars is really astounding. Wofford could've been a contender if she had had time to come back from her injury.

Thanks god Ross will be eligible next year and Becca will be back.

There were so many people on another board that were flippant about what Becca's injury meant to the team. They weren't really worried about it because it seemed like the US would still be able to make up at least most of her points. Well, now they can see just how important she actually is to the team total. Our bars lineup will suck no matter what.

Karpenko
10-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Well color me surprised, check out Maroney's UB routine:
http://www.gymnastike.org/coverage/240242-World-Gymnastics-Championships-Tokyo-2011/video/509000-USA-McKayla-Maroney-PT

What an improvement since nationals, I think this could be a useable routine in TF. Not great, but other than say China she would make the TF lineup on just about any of the other teams. Her pak salto is gigantic, I think a Mohini should be in the works for next year. Beautiful lines, tighter form, it's a good mid 14 useable routine.

I absolutely love this girl!!!:swoon: Her beam looks improved too and her style and presentation is constantly improving, I would love to see her make the AA final and win a medal!

chipso1
10-05-2011, 12:17 AM
There were so many people on another board that were flippant about what Becca's injury meant to the team. They weren't really worried about it because it seemed like the US would still be able to make up at least most of her points. Well, now they can see just how important she actually is to the team total. Our bars lineup will suck no matter what.

It wasn't just that Rebecca went down, though. Chellsie was injured and had shoulder surgery. Then Mackenzie got injured at camp. Now Anna Li has strained her abdomen. McKenzie Wofford has been struggling with injuries for months as well.

It's a shame that all of team USA's high profile injuries happened to some of their best bar workers. Two months ago, the U.S. UB lineup was looking pretty competitive with Bross, Memmel, the Caquattos, Li, et al in the mix.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-05-2011, 12:46 AM
I absolutely love this girl!!!:swoon: Her beam looks improved too and her style and presentation is constantly improving, I would love to see her make the AA final and win a medal!

Maroney is totally improved on bars. Her beam is okay too, but that switch side 1/2 isn't even close. I wouldn't credit that if I was a judge.

I think Maroney is usable on floor in TF. That 3rd pass is a little scary, but the extra bounce of the podium floor gives her enough juice to make that punch front.

If Maroney ups her bars and beam D score, I think she'll be a frontrunner for London. Her vault is the best in the world and that floor can score well provided she doesn't fall anywhere.

I'm actually kinda wondering why Vega was chosen over say, Johnson, to go to Tokyo with the other girls. I know here D score is 5.9, but she's so inconsistent on bars (only 2 girls at nats finished lower on bars than she did) and I think Maroney can probably equal or outscore her there if she hits. The only other place she can be used is floor and while pretty, will she really score better than Sac/Maroney? I guess that's what prelims is for. To see who can get the scores.

reese
10-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Well color me surprised, check out Maroney's UB routine:
http://www.gymnastike.org/coverage/240242-World-Gymnastics-Championships-Tokyo-2011/video/509000-USA-McKayla-Maroney-PT

What an improvement since nationals, I think this could be a useable routine in TF. Not great, but other than say China she would make the TF lineup on just about any of the other teams. Her pak salto is gigantic, I think a Mohini should be in the works for next year. Beautiful lines, tighter form, it's a good mid 14 useable routine.

I think mid-14s might be a stretch. Her giants are pretty messy.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Am I the only one who hates Paks? They just seem to break up the flow of routines imo.

ilovesalchows
10-05-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm actually kinda wondering why Vega was chosen over say, Johnson, to go to Tokyo with the other girls.

She's healthy

and

Teodora Ungureanu is her coach

reese
10-05-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm sure that by leaving them off the team, Marta is playing psych games with Johnson, Memmell and Sloan.

Apparently Sloan was looking great at the last death camp. And she's a decent UB worker. 4th in EF last year, no?

FiveRinger
10-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Blythe on GE quoted Alicia Post Podium Training. Apparently she has only stood it up on a hard surface once.

http://www.examiner.com/gymnastics-in-national/quick-hits-podium-training-day-two

3:29 p.m.: Alicia Sacramone on her vaults: Sacramone said, as she did during the U.S. media teleconference call, that in team prelims and finals she'll stick with her standard vaults, but she is planning to go for broke with the front layout double full should she make event finals.

Has she actually done one on a hard surface yet? Well, kind of. She mentioned that she did one on "a harder suface" recently, and stood it up.

What is the point of her doing this? Does she really feel that strongly about defending her title or is she just crazy? She would risk injury for this? For real?

vesperholly
10-05-2011, 04:28 AM
According to Inside Gymnastics' tweet:

"Anna Li will be the alternate for the team... she has been suffering from a strained ab suffered at one of the selection camps..."

Also:

http://www.insidegymnastics.com/content/show/11WorldChamps.aspx?articleid=1244&zoneid=78

Damn those camps.

Noooooo!!! :mad:

Am I the only one who hates Paks? They just seem to break up the flow of routines imo.

They can be done well, but I haven't seen any good ones in a while. I always thought Nastia's was way overarched and the weird technique was why she had problems with it. And Maroney's is just too high, forcing her to practically land in a fully-extended handstand before breaking for the kip. :blah:

BigB08822
10-05-2011, 06:05 AM
I love paks. I even liked Nastia's archy pak but I have always liked archy moves. For example, I love double layout with a huge arch. Straight body layouts, while technically correct, are not flowing or pretty to me like one with a nice arch. Even non archy paks are nice though, I just like how the float.

Domshabfan
10-05-2011, 08:06 AM
I don't understand all the Anna Li love going around here. If I was martha i would not take her in the team for the TFs, especially since she is yet to hit a clean routine in last few weeks. Imagine Martha selecting her and then she messing up. The same people who wanted Anna on the team will go after Martha and complain that she should have never allowed Anna anywhere near the bars, especially considering her practice sessions and injury. I think Martha is doing a fine job with the team she is left with.

As for team finals, i do think it is going to be china. They have a huge advantage on UBs and very high D score on beam, they can also match Russia and US on floor, and can do 3 DTYs. I think they should sneak a win if all team hits.
US, i hope will not put Raisman on the bars and allow Vega or even Maroney to compete during the TFs. As for Russia and Romania I will wait after the qualification to see what they are capable.

vesperholly
10-05-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't understand all the Anna Li love going around here.

I have a soft spot for "adult" college athletes like Mohini Bhardwaj, Vanessa Zamarripa and yes, Anna Li. Their persistence and maturity is very inspiring.

haribobo
10-05-2011, 10:52 AM
US, i hope will not put Raisman on the bars

I don't think she will be on that event in TF unless everyone else is injured. We'd be better off throwing Alicia up there and seeing what happens :D ;)