PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Karpenko
10-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Man that stinks :( I don't think she has much chance of making next years team honestly with Becca back, but she made this year a whole lot more fun. ^ If true that would be an awesome idea if we have a meltdown prelims. I think if Maroney or Vega have cleaned up a bit they could break 14.5 maybe? I think it won't hurt them too much.

Unreal that Vega is actually competing, she must be absolutely thrilled. I didn't even really consider her throughout the entire thing, and she might even come out of it with a World gold medal and momentum into next years Olympic selection! :kickass: This turned out to be a much prettier, diverse World team than I was expecting. I think it's a team that other countries will like as well because of our high difficulty with nice lines and execution. Getting excited, Aly looked unbelievable on floor today.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-04-2011, 07:59 AM
She could sneak up like Bridget Sloan did when she made the 2008 Team after being an alternate at Worlds 2007.

Dionysus
10-04-2011, 09:15 AM
I thought her website had been closed along with Aliya Mustafina's. Does she have a new one?

That was her page "vkontakte"

Fridge_Break
10-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I heard through the grapevine that Alicia is planning on throwing her 7.1 (7.2?) A-score double-twisting front layout vault during event finals.

Scintillation
10-04-2011, 04:29 PM
I heard through the grapevine that Alicia is planning on throwing her 7.1 (7.2?) A-score double-twisting front layout vault during event finals.

Well that'd be awesome, but I feel like she should've tried competing it at Nats--performing that vault for the first time in an EF seems really risky.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Komova is throwing Amanars it seems. If that's the case, then Team Finals is a crap shoot and I can see USA losing gold due to UB.

Tesla
10-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Komova is throwing Amanars it seems. If that's the case, then Team Finals is a crap shoot and I can see USA losing gold due to UB.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing going into an Olympic year. Less pressure for the Olympics (one would hope).

VIETgrlTerifa
10-04-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't think it matters. The reason why USA lost gold in the last two Olympics had nothing to do with pressure from being the reigning World champions, IMO, but injuries and mismanagement of the team on top of underestimating Romania in Athens and not closing in on the UB deficit in Beijing.

millyskate
10-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't think it matters. The reason why USA lost gold in the last two Olympics had nothing to do with pressure from being the reigning World champions, IMO, but injuries and mismanagement of the team on top of underestimating Romania in Athens and not closing in on the UB deficit in Beijing.

USA "lost gold" because there were other good teams. It really frustrates me hearing people talk from the premise that the USA absolutely always needs to be a gold medal contender. Some years they are, some years, other countries do better and have better gymnasts.
This year, I'd say the USA are clean favorites. Russia may have the theoretical edge on UB, but its gymnasts are less reliable and prone to falling, precisely on UB.

I'm really looking forward to Beth on UB, the two vids posted on gymnastike are impressive. I'm excited to see what teams end up making up the top 8, because France, GB, Japan, Australia, Spain, Italy and even maybe Germany all seem to be pretty evenly matched. It's really going to come down performances on the day of the qualies.

I think we may be in for a surprise there. Spain, Italy and France have all been doing their homework quietly and look pretty good. They could all snap up a spot ahead of the usually mentioned Australia, Japan and GB....

Ponor is incredible, it's hard to imagine it was 2 olympics ago she got her gold medal. I hope she does well on beam. It's all quite exciting :cheer:

Fridge_Break
10-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Well that'd be awesome, but I feel like she should've tried competing it at Nats--performing that vault for the first time in an EF seems really risky.

I feel that way too. Alicia apparently wanted to try it at Nationals, but Marta said no because it wasn't as consistent as she wanted (yet she had Bross doing the DTY she clearly shouldn't have been.... but that's beside the point). However, I'd rather Alicia try it here and get some experience with it rather than try it next year for the first time when every routine is going to count.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-04-2011, 05:29 PM
USA "lost gold" because there were other good teams. It really frustrates me hearing people talk from the premise that the USA absolutely always needs to be a gold medal contender. Some years they are, some years, other countries do better and have better gymnasts.
This year, I'd say the USA are clean favorites. Russia may have the theoretical edge on UB, but its gymnasts are less reliable and prone to falling, precisely on UB.

I mentioned other great teams in my original post when I talked about the U.S. underestimating Romania and trailing behind China in UB. My point is that the U.S. does not always need to be the gold medal contender, HOWEVER, in this case and in the case in the last 9 or so years, the U.S. has been a gold medal contender having the numbers to back up that claim. Yet, there is always seems to be some sort of self-sabotage going with the current system that churns out burnt out and injured gymnasts. By Athens and by Beijing, the American women were not at their peak with the exception of Nastia Liukin and arguably Carly Patterson. It would be one thing if the U.S. did their best, but still lost. However, we counted reckless mistakes (which by itself understandably happens), took broken gymnasts, and had a useless one for team finals both times by the time those Olympics rolled around not to mention all the gymnasts that got broken and/or burnt out leading up to the Games due to number of camps and Karyoli mind games. The latter is why I mentioned mismanagement of the team and there is no excuse for it considering the depth of the American team and the resources that USAG has in comparison to most other federations who are either rebuilding or regressing.

reese
10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I mentioned other great teams in my original post when I talked about the U.S. underestimating Romania and trailing behind China in UB. My point is that the U.S. does not always need to be the gold medal contender, HOWEVER, in this case and in the case in the last 9 or so years, the U.S. has been a gold medal contender having the numbers to back up that claim. Yet, there is always seems to be some sort of self-sabotage going with the current system that churns out burnt out and injured gymnasts. By Athens and by Beijing, the American women were not at their peak with the exception of Nastia Liukin and arguably Carly Patterson. It would be one thing if the U.S. did their best, but still lost. However, we counted reckless mistakes (which by itself understandably happens), took broken gymnasts, and had a useless one for team finals both times by the time those Olympics rolled around not to mention all the gymnasts that got broken and/or burnt out leading up to the Games due to number of camps and Karyoli mind games. The latter is why I mentioned mismanagement of the team and there is no excuse for it considering the depth of the American team and the resources that USAG has in comparison to most other federations who are either rebuilding or regressing.

:respec:

I still can't believe Marta managed to lose that 2004 OGM and still keep her job. Absurd.

BigB08822
10-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Marta can NOT sub in Li for TF if she does not compete in prelims unless there is an injury to one of the teammates who competed prelims. This injury has to be checked out by an FIG doctor and then approved. Now, it can probably still be easily faked. There isn't really an easy way to prove or disprove a bad back, for example. On top of that, every gymnast is surely nursing some kind of injury that they can use to their advantage. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that you can not just substitute someone in on a whim.

Where did this rumor come from about Alicia throwing the front double full? I ask because she has been hyping this up for a long time now and no one has ever seen it except for one time into a pit. I am not even sure she has done it onto regular competition mats. I hate to think she would lie but Alicia apparently enjoys playing mind games so I wouldn't put it past her. I guess we will know the truth during the first practice after TF. If she isn't throwing it then who would believe she would throw it cold turkey on EF day?

I am worried about Vega on bars. She will likely be the 3rd TF bar worker but her bars are very similar to Hong. Clean but with absolutely no amplitude. The judges ate Hong up at Worlds despite her clean form. Vega is going to receive amplitude deductions on every single release skill and I think she has 3 or 4? I still think she will score higher than Maroney.

Marta was really dumb to not bring Shawn. Shawn can do bars and score decently. Her D score is low but her E score will be much higher than Vega or Maroney. Her beam is also TF worthy. If we had to sub in Johnson we would lose tenths on bars but she would help make up some on beam. Vega doesn't help us anywhere. The scariest thing of all is Team USA is now left with Li being our alternate, a gymnast who doesn't vault or do floor. Wonderful.

galaxygirl
10-04-2011, 09:08 PM
So my question is, if Ana was hurt in training camp, why is she on the team in the first place?

ilovesalchows
10-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Where did this rumor come from about Alicia throwing the front double full? I ask because she has been hyping this up for a long time now and no one has ever seen it except for one time into a pit. I am not even sure she has done it onto regular competition mats. I hate to think she would lie but Alicia apparently enjoys playing mind games so I wouldn't put it past her. I guess we will know the truth during the first practice after TF. If she isn't throwing it then who would believe she would throw it cold turkey on EF day?

Blythe on GE quoted Alicia Post Podium Training. Apparently she has only stood it up on a hard surface once.

http://www.examiner.com/gymnastics-in-national/quick-hits-podium-training-day-two

3:29 p.m.: Alicia Sacramone on her vaults: Sacramone said, as she did during the U.S. media teleconference call, that in team prelims and finals she'll stick with her standard vaults, but she is planning to go for broke with the front layout double full should she make event finals.

Has she actually done one on a hard surface yet? Well, kind of. She mentioned that she did one on "a harder suface" recently, and stood it up.