PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

bek
10-03-2011, 10:03 AM
She got a 15.2 with a bigger deduction filled set at nationals. Her freehip 1/1 alone is .2 or 3 better in that vid. All things considered, I think a 15.2 for an improved set or at least a 15 is very possible for her it's a much tighter set.

I think you are under-estimating Jordyn's start values she would only need an 8.6 on UB and an 8.9 on floor in execution which is tough, but she looks good its not impossible! I wasn't all that sold on her this year officially until I saw these vids.

I love Komova and would love for her to win this year and then dominate the Olympics next year, but Jordyn is looking like World champ material to me.

Karpenko that was at US Nationals. A lot of people felt international judges would score that routine a bit lower. Jordyn's bars are quite labored and her double/double dismount has some major problems. So many problems that there is talk that she won't be doing that which would take about 2 tenths of her D score on bars. Look at what Wiebers scored in Jeselo. She's very inconsistent on bars. But even if she hits 15 that's still about 6 tenths lower than what Komova can actually get realistically on bars. And as I mentioned earlier, I'm not so sure that Jordyn will score a whole point higher than a very good DTY from Komova. This being said If I were to bet i think Wieber wins, I'm not sure Komova is ready. But I think realistically Komova with a DTY is a lot closer to Wieber than people may think.

But the DTY may not matter because according to International gymnast Komova threw her Amanar at the last Russian Test Event at Round Lake.

Domshabfan
10-03-2011, 10:18 AM
But the DTY may not matter because according to International gymnast Komova threw her Amanar at the last Russian Test Event at Round Lake.

I just read that as well, that definitely makes AA very close especially with her 6.7 UB set.

Karpenko
10-03-2011, 10:26 AM
wow nice! :respec: I would love for her to win, just didn't think it was possible in this amount of time :cheer2:

bek
10-03-2011, 10:35 AM
wow nice! :respec: I would love for her to win, just didn't think it was possible in this amount of time :cheer2:

I actually hope they aren't pushing her to much especially with that Amanar. But if her DTY was that good. This being said I'd imagine next year she'll have more upgrades. Hopefully a much more flowing bar routine, and maybe the patterson on beam will show up. She's training a double layout on floor. I know IG said they wonder if she'll have enough numbers here.

Fridge_Break
10-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I watched the training videos last night, I hope Gabby can nail a routine just like that in prelims and finals!

reese
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Maroney looked a little crazy on floor. I hope with her bad back and her nerves we don't get another Larson situation this year. AOGC would really start to get a bad reputation for headcasey gymnasts.

I also really hope that Raisman doesn't get that second all-around spot again this year, although it's looking that way.

Maofan7
10-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Vika Komova told on her web page that "Team USA is giving Russian girls a cheeky gaze)) - I tremble with fear ha, ha, ha))" :rofl:
She has a sense of humour :D

I thought her website had been closed along with Aliya Mustafina's. Does she have a new one?

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Afansyeva's floor is gorgeous. I'd be rooting for her to win EF, but it's probably futile because of her headcasey-ness.

I'm kinda worried about Alicia competing floor (not that she for sure will be, but still). That floor looks incredibly bouncy. And we all know she can go oob really easily on way less bouncy floors. :lol:

BigB08822
10-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Yes, Sacramone and Dos Santos may very well bounce into the rafters and incur huge deductions. Maloney was my pick for first up in TF on FX but she looks rough from the training videos we saw. However, it was only day 1 and she is the gymnast who would benefit from some extra bounce because that double tuck would be easier with some more height. I noticed she took out her double arabian dismount and put in a double pike so I guess she continued to struggle on FX at camp. I think we will be able to better tell who is looking like TF material on FX when they actually do their training session on the competition podium.

Karpenko
10-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Alicia was smart in changing her 3rd pass, that's the one that usually has me worried about going oob. She only loses .1 in bonus too, and if she added a split leap after her 2 1/2 it would give her the same bonus as her 2 1/2-front layout.

I think she's a solid mid-14 score on floor, esp if she did a competition routine like that vid of training. I'd put Alicia up in TF on floor with Jordyn and Aly. Any of the other teams would love that routine to be their 3rd, plus its really dramatic and TF-sounding music, with a little bit of "I'm back bitches!" Alicia sass thrown in. Her routine has really grown on me, I think it looks really nice in that vid.

4rkidz
10-04-2011, 02:39 AM
slight change of pace.. but is still gymnastics.. I really enjoyed this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtwB4jnO7ro&feature=player_embedded#!

I would love to watch synchro comps like this..

VIETgrlTerifa
10-04-2011, 07:31 AM
According to Inside Gymnastics' tweet:

"Anna Li will be the alternate for the team... she has been suffering from a strained ab suffered at one of the selection camps..."

Also:

http://www.insidegymnastics.com/content/show/11WorldChamps.aspx?articleid=1244&zoneid=78

Damn those camps.

So, we knew that we were going to count Jordyn and Gabby for UB, but I hate to think who we'd have to count on for that third score...:yikes:.

Anna sounds very positive though and optimistic about the future though I don't think she has a much of a chance of making the London team with only 5 gymnasts vying for a spot. I was hoping she could have competed here. :(

ilovesalchows
10-04-2011, 07:38 AM
So, we knew that we were going to count Jordyn and Gabby for UB, but I hate to think who we'd have to count on for that third score...:yikes:.

Whomever of the other 3 get the highest score in prelims, probably.

Isn't there some rule where Marta can sub in an alternate for finals? I thought I heard that once.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-04-2011, 07:40 AM

Vega has a 5.9 D score and she has been hitting bars, so I'd imagine they'll use her. She can probably score mid 14s with a hit routine. Not great, but it won't hurt too much given the D score advantage they'll have from vault.

She has been kind of inconsistent though, so maybe they'll use Maroney in TF if Vega can't hit in prelims.

Any girl wanting to make the Olympic team should start working hard on bars, like, yesterday. It's pathetic that we're having trouble fielding 3 decent girls for team finals.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-04-2011, 07:48 AM
If the U.S. wins gold here and Marta subs Anna Li in for finals, does that mean all 7 women who competed get medals and get to be called "World Champions?" I knew this wouldn't fly in the Olympics, but can they really do that at Worlds? That seems like a weird loophole to me and you think FIG would have rules against it.

Well, it looks like Marta can!

http://internationalgymnast.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1964:shin-pain-puts-all-around-in-doubt-for-bross&catid=2:news&Itemid=166

Karolyi also said that a new FIG rule will allow teams to switch their alternates later in the competition.

"After the qualifications are over, you are able to change your lineup and say, 'These six are my team and now this other person will be the alternate' if you feel, based on the first day of competition, that you would like to do a change or if you have some injuries [on] your team," she said

However, I think it will be way too risky to sub Anna in for Team Finals where it's a 3 up-3 count situation. Also, it's really early to be declaring Anna an alternate, so the injury sounds serious.