PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Choupette
09-24-2011, 01:28 AM
am really tired of this same experience, year after year and 2 olympic games getting with high expectations about the team chances blown away because of the girls injuring themselves at those death camps
I would even say more than two Olympic Games. Where was Zmeskal's fantastic FX routine from the trials in Barcelona? And Moceanu's stress fracture just before Atlanta... let me guess, it was from overtraining? :rolleyes:

BigB08822
09-24-2011, 03:19 AM
I knew Memmel would withdraw before Pan Ams. It makes no sense for her to go if she has any kind of injury and she always has an injury. Why risk your body when your main goal is next year and you don't need any kind of competition experience. She won Pan Ams last time it was held, if my memory is correct. Let the new kids get some time on the floor. I thought Shawn would do the same thing but I think she is too worried about doing whatever Marta asks and her knee is probably holding up fine, I think her issues with it are mental and not physical.

danafan
09-24-2011, 03:47 AM
I knew Memmel would withdraw before Pan Ams. It makes no sense for her to go if she has any kind of injury and she always has an injury. Why risk your body when your main goal is next year and you don't need any kind of competition experience. She won Pan Ams last time it was held, if my memory is correct. Let the new kids get some time on the floor. I thought Shawn would do the same thing but I think she is too worried about doing whatever Marta asks and her knee is probably holding up fine, I think her issues with it are mental and not physical.

Memmel won the Pan Am Games in 2003. The reigning/defending Pan Am Games Champion is Shawn Johnson from 2007.

BigB08822
09-24-2011, 04:42 AM
LMAO, even better, she won it 2 cycles ago. She is too cool.

vesperholly
09-24-2011, 06:38 AM
She won Pan Ams last time it was held, if my memory is correct. Let the new kids get some time on the floor.

That's how I feel about the Olympics for her, too :shuffle:

BigB08822
09-24-2011, 07:53 AM
I didn't mean "let the new kids get some time on the floor" as in step aside because you had your turn. I hate that way of thinking. I meant it as in she is injured and there is no point in ruining her shoulder for some competition which means nothing to her AND it will benefit the upcoming group of girls to get in major competition before the Olympics. Let's face it, Marta doesn't send out girls to major International competition, this may literally be their only shot before the Olympics. I do NOT think anyone should step aside because they already had their turn. Maybe it is STILL her turn? If you earn it, you can compete in 100 Olympics for all I care.

Domshabfan
09-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Russia has announced national team for 2011 world championships.

Men: Garibov, Khorokhodin, Ignatyev, Belyavski, Ablyazin, Cherkasov, Golutsotskov, Pluzhnikov

Women: Afanasyeva, Komova, Dementieva, Belokobylskaya, Nabieva, Polyan, Paseka

I think Polyan, Cherkasov and Golutsotskov are going to sit out of the team. Especially since Paseka successfully completed an amanar during the competition in Penza. Ablyzain is upgraded version of Golutsitskov with a 7.0 D first vault and second vault of 7.2 D, 6.9 floor (highest in the world i believe) and a 6.6 D ring score and Golutsotskov has been having trouble all season.

Garibov has been consistently wining all round title in Russia for last few months, with Khorokhdin in second. Ignatiev and Belyavski has been stable as well. These athletes along with Pluzhnikov, European ring champion should make the team.

bardtoob
09-25-2011, 03:23 PM
That's how I feel about the Olympics for her, too :shuffle:

That's like saying it's not a sport.

danafan
09-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Don Peters, a former Olympic coach, accused of sexual abuse. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about him now, having been a big fan of some of his former athletes...

http://www.ocregister.com/news/peters-318708-yamashiro-gymnastics.html

Buzz
09-25-2011, 06:41 PM
YIKES! My hear goes out to his victims.

reese
09-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Don Peters, a former Olympic coach, accused of sexual abuse. I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about him now, having been a big fan of some of his former athletes...

http://www.ocregister.com/news/peters-318708-yamashiro-gymnastics.html

Looking through the reader comments at the bottom of the article made me want to throw my laptop across the room. :angryfire

BigB08822
09-25-2011, 08:09 PM
I didn't have time to read the whole article so please inform me if I am wrong but I got that part of the blame is being placed on USAG for not doing something. What could they have done if the victims waited nearly 30 years to come forward? Was USAG supposed to somehow just know what was going on or was it brought to their attention and nothing was done about it? I got the impression from other threads on other boards that this is just now being brought to their attention and they ARE investigating.

vesperholly
09-25-2011, 08:58 PM
That's like saying it's not a sport.

Because no one is ever given a little latitude because of their name and past achievements? :shuffle:

Loves_Shizuka
09-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Looking through the reader comments at the bottom of the article made me want to throw my laptop across the room. :angryfire

Tell me about it. According to one, it's OK for him to do this, because he coached athletes to OGM's.

Sometimes the world TERRIFIES me.

dramagrrl
09-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Jennifer Sey wrote about the suspicions against Peters (particularly in regards to his relationship with Doe Yamashiro) in her book Chalked Up, but many in the gymnastics community reacted defensively. They dismissed everything in the book as "Oh, washed-up has-been wants to relive her glory days by blaming her downfall on everyone else in the gymnastics community." Just goes to show how truly insular the gymnastics community (much like the skating community) really is.