PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

reese
09-22-2011, 11:37 PM
China stole the gold medal in 2008, plain and simple. The USA would have won if China had sent their of age gymnasts. They wouldn't have had many of the D scores they ended up having which pushed them over the top. USA did make mistakes in 6-3-3 but I think even with those mistakes the USA would have beaten China if they had been missing some of their key routines. It is such a joke that the 2000 China team lost its bronze but the 2008 team seems like they got away with it. Maybe one day they will go back and take a look but since they already had a case, I doubt much can be done.

After He Kexin took gold on the uneven bars over Nastia in Beijing I remember my brother said, "Nastia shouldn't worry, it'll be her's eventually." That's the way I feel about the team gold too. It took 10 years for the 2000 team to have to give back their medals; it's only been 3 years since Beijing. Somewhere down the line, after retirement, one of the Chinese gymnasts is going to accidentally reveal her real age.

BigB08822
09-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I also think there is a chance they could get the medal back but it will probably have to happen because one of the gymnasts steps forward and admits to being underage. China has probably threatened all the gymnasts and their families because the controversy was huge and made a lot of headlines. They had an investigation but China had covered their tracks far too well. If any of those girls were to speak, they have to know it would cause major problems and would look far worse for China than if they just got caught right away because now they have denied it over and over and covered it up. It also doubly sucks for Nastia because she tied for the gold medal but for some insane reason they use a tie break now in EF.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-23-2011, 12:40 AM
The IOC doen't allow ties from what I heard (at least in judged sports). Aren't there still ties at Worlds? However, the process in which they broke the tie was pretty ridiculous from what I remember.

BigB08822
09-23-2011, 12:55 AM
I think they went to execution scores but since Nastia and He had the same D score it meant that they also had the same E score. So then they went to yet another tie breaker and looked at the lowest E scores or something? Basically, I remember the lowest E score came from the Australian judge for Nastia and so Nastia lost the gold. The medal was put in one judges hand in the end and that is not right.

Allen
09-23-2011, 01:30 AM
I think they went to execution scores but since Nastia and He had the same D score it meant that they also had the same E score. So then they went to yet another tie breaker and looked at the lowest E scores or something? Basically, I remember the lowest E score came from the Australian judge for Nastia and so Nastia lost the gold. The medal was put in one judges hand in the end and that is not right.

But that was also when Tim Daggett tried to argue that Australia and Brazil didn't have big enough gymnastics programs to be able to judge at the Olympic level, which is a joke considering that both have produced multiple world medalists. He didn't like the result, so he blamed on the judges, but didn't even bother to check to see what their judging records were. Both of those judges had judged at many previous World Championships and at least one previous Olympics.

gingercrush
09-23-2011, 04:20 AM
Well I'm going to go aginst the tide and say that China winning in 2008 was absolutely fantastic. Watching Cheng Fei lead those girls to Olympic Gold was certainly one of the highlights of the 2008 Olympics.

Watching the American brats losing was even better.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Don't get me wrong, the Chinese team (especially Cheng Fei, one of my faves of all time) were great and I loved watching their moment in victory. However, there's no way they would have won without He Kexin, and everyone in the gym fandom knew and were sad that she was too young for Beijing. That was before China some how magically made it so Kexin was of-age.

Again, why were the Americans brats? What did they do that was particularly bratty?

gingercrush
09-23-2011, 04:31 AM
They talked.

BigB08822
09-23-2011, 04:33 AM
They talked.

:eek:

Please, try again...

VIETgrlTerifa
09-23-2011, 04:35 AM
:eek:

Please, try again...

:lol:

Seriously.

judgejudy27
09-23-2011, 06:31 AM
If both teams performed exactly the same way in the team final China would have probably won even without He Kexin. I dont think He Kexin was the only one on the team underaged though.

Loves_Shizuka
09-23-2011, 07:10 AM
:slinkaway ... China winning was the ONLY good thing about Beijing IMO. :o

VIETgrlTerifa
09-23-2011, 07:26 AM
The worst thing about Beijing was Cheng Fei not winning Vault and FX due to her performances. Le sigh.

BTW, I cheered my butt off at a sports bar when Nastia won AA gold. It just felt right to me.

BigB08822
09-23-2011, 08:00 AM
If both teams performed exactly the same way in the team final China would have probably won even without He Kexin. I dont think He Kexin was the only one on the team underaged though.

Exactly. He's bar routine was a huge get for China but with the 2 falls from Sacramone it wasn't just about her bar routine. However, since other gymnasts were underage, I do think the USA would have won even with those falls if NO ONE on the Chinese team had been under age. Now, perhaps they could have used girls who were of age and maybe those girls would have hit and had the D scores needed but I tend to think not, otherwise why risk cheating on the biggest stage?

The worst thing about Beijing was Cheng Fei not winning Vault and FX due to her performances. Le sigh.

BTW, I cheered my butt off at a sports bar when Nastia won AA gold. It just felt right to me.

I can't feel too bad for Cheng since she got the bronze on vault with a fall, over a clean Sacramone. That was a travesty. Not Cheng's fault, though.

Liukin winning was right, especially with how she did it. Stuck her vault cold, nailed her beam and dismount, hit bars with only a step on the dismount and did her floor as well as she could. It was so clear she was in peak condition and she nailed it. I don't see how she could have ever topped that performance.

chipso1
09-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Chellsie Memmel has withdrawn from Pan Ams and will be replaced by WOGA's Grace McLaughlin.