PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

BigB08822
09-21-2011, 09:54 PM
The competition has apparently not even started yet so the announcement should be late tonight, indeed. Marta and company refused to even tell the girls or their coaches their scores during the competition on Monday. They had the competition, left everyone in the dark, and then went and had a stern lecturing to all the coaches (and possible gymnasts) about not telling anyone anything about camp. No score, no information, nothing. They then told them scores.

Is this not waving a huge red flag to any of the coaches? Not that they have much choice but to go along but how incredibly curious. They can basically assure the team they want and now justify the scores. Let the girls compete, then go back and edit scores a bit here or there to fit how they want them to look and then announce the team and say "well, so and so was left off because they got hammered on E score...see..."

I doubt that happens, Marta wants the best scoring team, but there is NO reason to make everything so top secret. What are they trying to do? Fool the rest of the World into thinking we have secret 7.5 bar routines lined up a mile long? Please, everyone knows the USA situation and when we show up to Worlds it will look exactly like it did at Visas with the slim possibility of an upgrade here or there, a few extra tenths MAX. This is all just silly.

minuet
09-21-2011, 10:10 PM
hey everyone,

My sister is doing a research project and called to ask for some advice. I figured I would come here and ask the experts :)
What she is looking for:

Who would be your top 5 to watch for in London in AA and each apparatus final?
I know injuries, ages and everything will change but the info she needs is based on if you had to answer the question on the information we know now. If anyone can offer ideas for the guys too that would be great!

Thanks for your help!

BigB08822
09-21-2011, 10:40 PM
There are so many what ifs:

AAers:
Ross
Weiber
Komova
Mustafina
Grishina

Only 2 of the 3 Russians listed can even make AA finals. I expect 1 of these 5 will win, though.

Bars:

Tweddle
He (Chinese girl whose last name I can't pronounce or even remember how to spell)
Liukin
Nabieva
Mustafina
Komova

Liukin is a question mark and again, only 2 of the 3 Russians can make it to EF

Vault:
Sacramone (if she even makes the team, I doubt it)
Maroney
Mustafina
Cheng Fe (if she makes it back)

Floor:
Romanians are always good here, but I don't know much about anyone else.
Lauren Mitchell is reigning world champ.
Raisman has a very high D score but I also dont expect her to make the team.

Beam:
Komova
Liukin (if she comes back, again)
Weiber

As you can see, I only know about the Russians and the US. There are probably others with chances but I don't know enough about their D scores.

I do expect USA and Russia to dominate and win most of the gold medals.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
09-21-2011, 10:45 PM
AA
Jordan Weiber
Viktoria Komova
Anna Dementieva
Ana Porgras
Aly Raisman
Yao Jinnan
Tan Sixin

Vault
McKayla Maroney
Alicia Sacramone
Oksana Chusovitina
Maria Paseka
Sandra Izbasa

Floor
Lauren Mitchell
Sui Lu
Aly Raisman
Anna Dementieva
Sandra Izbasa
Beth Tweddle
Jordan Weiber

Bars
He Kexin
Beth Tweddle
Viktoria Komova
Elizabeth Seitz
Tatiana Nabieva
Wu Liufang

Beam
Lauren Mitchell (huge D score)
Anna Dementieva
Sui Lu
Catalina Ponor
Viktoria Komova
Maria Livichkova
Ana Porgras
Tan Sixin

I know I'm probably forgetting a lot of girls, but I didn't want to list too many.

The men are even harder to pin down. So many men from so many countries can fight for and win AA and EF medals. I think it's safe to say, though, that unless he completely and utterly implodes, Uchimura will be the AA champion.

ETA: Oops, my list is for Worlds this year, I forgot it was in Tokyo.

BigB08822
09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
I think she wanted London which means Olympics next year. Worlds are in Tokyo this year.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
09-21-2011, 10:50 PM
I think she wanted London which means Olympics next year. Worlds are in Tokyo this year.

Yeah, I noticed my mistake. For some reason, I was thinking Worlds was in London.

Maybe I'm thinking of the London test event or something.

galaxygirl
09-21-2011, 11:01 PM
BigB: He is her last name and Kexin is her first name. It's pronounced huh kuh SHEEN.

BigB08822
09-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks, I can never ever remember that it starts with a K because I have always heard it pronounced Hey Shin and there is no K anywhere in there. lol I couldn't even remember how I thought it was pronounced until your post. Thanks for telling me how to properly pronounce it.

galaxygirl
09-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks, I can never ever remember that it starts with a K because I have always heard it pronounced Hey Shin and there is no K anywhere in there. lol I couldn't even remember how I thought it was pronounced until your post. Thanks for telling me how to properly pronounce it.

You're welcome :) I was pretty sure I knew how to pronounce it but fortunately I work with a guy from China so I checked with him just to be sure.

HeatherC
09-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Gymnastike just tweeted something from Anna Li...she said the gymnasts are 'all singing Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, and all those good songs while we WAIT!!' At least they're entertaining themselves during this ginormous waiting time, LOL :lol:

ilovesalchows
09-22-2011, 03:12 AM
Raisman
Maroney
Sacramone
Wieber
Vega
Li
Douglas

Thats the team!

BigB08822
09-22-2011, 03:14 AM
I am assuming Vega is the alternate although it hasn't been confirmed. It seems pretty obvious she would be alternate based on who we need for bars.

Vega is the only surprise for me. I knew when Macko went out that Douglas and Li would be in. I expected Memmel or Johnson to be named alternates.

HeatherC
09-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Women's Pan Am Team...

B. Caquatto
DeZiel
Jay
Johnson
Memmel
Sloan

I like the Worlds team although it's a pretty inexperienced group! Alicia will definitely be the mother hen of that group, LOL :cheer:

BigB08822
09-22-2011, 03:18 AM
That is quite a formidable Pan Ams team, happy to see DeZiel make a big team like that when she only really came back to do Elite since it was in her hometown, right?

ilovesalchows
09-22-2011, 03:20 AM
I think Vega is a smart move, actually. She is healthy. She can sub on any event. Johnson probably couldn't sub on floor and Memmel just sounds a little beat up still. I am betting Karolyi is tight with Vega's coach Ungureanu?

I think this is as good a team as any, they just have to hit, obviously.