PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

vesperholly
09-19-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm partial to Mo Huilan myself. :)

Not after that awful beam dismount. She gave it away. (and I hated her chicken dance FX.)

It still makes me mad that Dina Kotchetkova didn't get any individual medals. Her floor and beam were fab and I would've had her 3rd in both those EFs (and possibly 2nd in beam, love me some Lilia but her beam just wasn't that hard). I lurve her icy Russianness. :swoon:

judgejudy27
09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
IMO, had she gone 4 for 4, Mo would have won in both 95 and 96. Except she was also something of a headcase. Sigh. Lilia is a brilliant gymnast, though I do feel is ever so slightly overrated. But that's JMHO.

I watched the 87 and 89 worlds earlier. My god they were good.

I agree if Mo had hit 4 for 4 in 95 and 96 she would have won. She is potentially better than Lilia on every event except floor, although it would be close since Lilia is so far superior and woud score much higher on floor.

OnyxRose81
09-19-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree if Mo had hit 4 for 4 in 95 and 96 she would have won. She is potentially better than Lilia on every event except floor, although it would be close since Lilia is so far superior and woud score much higher on floor.

Mo Huilan is my favorite Chinese gymnast ever and in my top 5 gymnasts ever. Oh, Headcase Huilan, how you frustrated me so. I'm not a huge fan of the Chinese but the gymnasts competing 95-2000...they were all sublime.

Lilia is overrated to me but I will forever be indebted to her for keeping the Romanians at bay. I can't live in a world where Gogean is Olympic AA champion.

The Soviet 1989 Worlds FX lineup was just...there are no words. Bogi's was actually my least favorite and I think Sazonenkova was beyond underrated.

BigB08822
09-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Memmel tweeted that other than a mishap on beam she had a really good day. No other details. Sacramone tweeted that she "made" all 3 of her events.

Rob
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
When are they making the announcement?

Cloudy_Gumdrops
09-19-2011, 10:18 PM
It was posted on GGMB that Mack Caquatto hurt herself pretty badly on beam.

The last thing the US needs is for the UB girlies to start going down.

I wish the coaches and athletes (and their parents!) would start standing up to Marta and her ridiculous methods.

"exhausted after the longest competition ever…legit 5 hours long"

That's a tweet from Alicia.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Not after that awful beam dismount. She gave it away. (and I hated her chicken dance FX.)

I love me some Lilia, but she had some of the worst floor choreography for a gymnast of her dance quality. Not only that but her beam was sort of uninspiring other than her dismount. To be honest, the only thing I truly liked about Lilia were her brilliant compulsories and her FX mount (oh and her toe point).

I'm not saying she was undeserving because she totally was and she competed like a champion. However, I still prefer Mo Huilan.

It's hard for me to bash someone whose win brought joy to tens of millions, and who still gets me goosepimply when I remember that perfect vault that sealed the deal. Kudos to Mary Lou, great even if your gymnastics weren't pure enough for purists.

One thing I remember about Mary Lou was when E! did their special on American gymnasts and Retton tried to put her win in context as to what made it amazing at the time. She mentioned how the Americans never beat the Romanians and were always second fiddle. True, but she always makes a point to avoid mentioning the absence of the Soviets because I think deep down, she feels like mentioning it would put a kink to her legacy. Maybe that's why she looked downright nasty after Nastia Liukin won her AA gold (or maybe that was just NBC's clever editing).

BigB08822
09-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Mack injured? Not good. We could have used her on the team for sure, in addition to another UB girl. If she is injured in such a way that she is off the team then Li really needs to be taken for UB alone and Memmel looks better for the other UB/backup on BB and FX spot.

floskate
09-19-2011, 10:26 PM
5 hours? That is insane. :eek: ITA someone needs to sort Marta out on this because there is so much damage being done. When did the US actually manage to field a totally healthy team at a major? 2007 Worlds? Or was someone injured there too?

VIETgrlTerifa
09-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Mack injured? Not good. We could have used her on the team for sure, in addition to another UB girl. If she is injured in such a way that she is off the team then Li really needs to be taken for UB alone and Memmel looks better for the other UB/backup on BB and FX spot.

Do you think Douglas would still be chosen for the team ahead of Li? I guess with the way things are looking now, I can see a team with both Douglas and Li.

BigB08822
09-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Douglas probably would be ahead of Li. I just forgot about her.

chipso1
5 hours? That is insane. :eek: ITA someone needs to sort Marta out on this because there is so much damage being done. When did the US actually manage to field a totally healthy team at a major? 2007 Worlds? Or was someone injured there too?

In 2007, Nastia was still recovering from her ankle injuries, IIRC, and didn't really have the stamina to get through the entire AA.

I can't remember the last time the U.S. fielded a completely healthy team.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
Do you think Douglas would still be chosen for the team ahead of Li?

I would take Douglas over her.

Douglas has actually been hitting her sets, plus, she can be used as a backup on other events.

Li is a one event gymnast who can't even hit that one event most of the time.

We're all forgetting about Sloan here. I'd be much more comfortable taking her than either Douglas or Li. We know she can hit in a pressure situation. If she's healthy, I'd bet that she makes the team, esp. if Mackenzie really is injured.

judgejudy27
09-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Marta and her excessive camps before selecting a team are ridiculous. I give her credit for turning the U.S program around again after Sydney, but as it is clear she will never get over some of her over the top concepts such as that one, I am glad she is retiring post London.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-19-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm also happy to hear that there won't be enough time for a camp between Olympic Trials and London next year, which means not only is the team going to be chosen right after Trials but the gymnasts may be able to peak appropriately.