PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

galaxygirl
09-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Everyone knows who Shawn Johnson is thanks (in part) to Dancing with the Stars. Liukin needs to do whatever she can to get on that show.

Wasn't it offered to her before it was offered to Shawn and she turned it down?

BTW, I must be old fashioned because I really like 6-6-5.

Pierre
09-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Wasn't it offered to her before it was offered to Shawn and she turned it down?

I know a few years ago her name was rumored to be among the ones being considered, but I never heard any details. If in fact it was offered to her before Johnson, big mistake on her part to turn it down.

reese
09-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Yes, Nastia was offered DWTS the same season Shawn was on. They would have been competing against each other. Nastia turned it down because she was still halfheartedly pursuing competing at that time. (She did show up at Nationals and do a crappy beam routine that year.) I'm sure she regrets the decision now, honestly. Still, I don't think Shawn will be a household name 10 years from now, even with DWTS. I don't even think she is now.

I find Nastia pretty fascinating. I can't imagine what it was like for her growing up competing and training as an elite and the only child of Valeri Liukin. He's too intense for me and I can only imagine the amount of pressure she was under for all of those years in the gym and at home. I still remember how Valeri wouldn't even acknowledge her after she messed up on her final beam routine at the 2006 Nationals. (An event she still WON, btw.) Despite all the 24/7 intensity and pressure she still managed to win the Olympic All-Around title. That's pretty incredible.

I can't imagine she spent much time in school growing up, but she still has turned into a fairly well-spoken young person. She's fairly articulate when commentating and interviewing other gymnasts on those Universal Sports pre and post shows.

FiveRinger
09-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Yes, Nastia was offered DWTS the same season Shawn was on. They would have been competing against each other. Nastia turned it down because she was still halfheartedly pursuing competing at that time. (She did show up at Nationals and do a crappy beam routine that year.) I'm sure she regrets the decision now, honestly. Still, I don't think Shawn will be a household name 10 years from now, even with DWTS. I don't even think she is now.

I find Nastia pretty fascinating. I can't imagine what it was like for her growing up competing and training as an elite and the only child of Valeri Liukin. He's too intense for me and I can only imagine the amount of pressure she was under for all of those years in the gym and at home. I still remember how Valeri wouldn't even acknowledge her after she messed up on her final beam routine at the 2006 Nationals. (An event she still WON, btw.) Despite all the 24/7 intensity and pressure she still managed to win the Olympic All-Around title. That's pretty incredible.

I can't imagine she spent much time in school growing up, but she still has turned into a fairly well-spoken young person. She's fairly articulate when commentating and interviewing other gymnasts on those Universal Sports pre and post shows.

^^This! And her mother was an extremely successful rhythmic gymnast. This girl was destined, but I can't even fathom growing up under those circumstances. Practicing piano was intense growing up as the teacher's kid. I don't think I could have stood all of this!

mkats
09-18-2011, 01:11 AM

There was an interview in People Magazine recently where she was talking about going to NYU.

Personally, I don't think either she (or Johnson) will be a household name 10 years from now - it's an unfortunate turn for gymnastics, but it's how it is. Shawn even said herself that she was better known for winning DWTS than the Olympics.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-18-2011, 01:19 AM
I mean success with DWTS is good and all, but reality fame is so fleeting.

BigB08822
09-18-2011, 05:57 AM
I think the US women assumed they would become a household name like Mary Lou. However, just because that happened to Mary Lou doesn't mean it will happen to every US gymnast who wins. There were lots of circumstances in Mary Lou's favor. First of all, Mary Lou is overflowing with personality, not something I can say about Patterson, Liukin, Johnson, Bross (especially), etc. I know some of them have more personalities than others but none come close to Mary Lou. Also, Mary Lou was the first American to win the OGM in her sport and that goes a long way. Another factor was that Mary Lou won in the U.S. Finally, and I think this is a big one, Mary Lou was the one star. Sure, others were good, such as McNamara but Mary Lou was THE star. Since the early/mid 90's there have been plenty of US female stars. We had Miller/Zmeskal. Then Miller/Dawes and especially Mocheanu. Then the U.S. started rattling off World titles with Memmel, Vise, Sacramone, Liukin, and tons of others I am forgetting. There is a lot more competition just to be known as the one in the U.S. Winning an AA title isn't enough.

Loves_Shizuka
09-18-2011, 08:02 AM
It saddens me you can be more famous for winning/being on reality TV, than for real sporting success, you've worked your whole life for. It reminds me of a Kim Clijsters interview I read the other day; the journalist asked if she watched "Jersey Shore" as she lives in New Jersey. She answered that she'd barely even head of it, to which the reporter seemed unbelievably shocked. Is reality TV that prevalent?! I bloody hate it.

Back on-topic, is Johnson really a household name?!

I agree with you Brian. Gymnastics itself as become pretty stale as of late; it's not just the US women. No-one has really captured anyone's attention since Khorkina, love or hate her.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-18-2011, 08:46 AM
That's because gymnastics is becoming almost unwatchable in many respects. Despite loving it, I find myself almost vomiting with what they call choreography now (on Floor and beam) and how the rules/scoring system are just making it more difficult for the gymnasts to actually look like they're enjoying themselves out there.

I think that's why I, and others, celebrated so heavily after Liukin won gold in Beijing. Not that Johnson and others were horrific to watch because they weren't, but Liukin's gymnastics is the closest to the golden age as we've gotten in a long time. Such a shame that it had to be with a scoring system where UB is scored so heavily compared to the other apparatuses (much to Johnson's detriment).

BigB08822
09-18-2011, 09:08 AM
By the way, I have heard rumor that everyone showed up to camp with lots of suitcases and everyone is prepared to verify on all their events, including Maroney (back), Johnson (foot) and Memmel (shoulder). This weekend is very important, with everyone back in the mix who knows how the final roster will look.

floskate
09-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Who knows who, if any, will make it through the week in one piece? These death camps just HAVE to go. :scream:

Buzz
09-18-2011, 04:01 PM
There was a competition in Russia and Naliya Mustafina competed. Nice to see she is still doing gymnastics. There is also a picture which includes Komova's mom. :)
http://www.intlgymnast.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2760:russias-komova-garibov-dominate-dinamo-meet&catid=5:competition-reports&Itemid=164

bek
09-18-2011, 05:10 PM
There was a competition in Russia and Naliya Mustafina competed. Nice to see she is still doing gymnastics. There is also a picture which includes Komova's mom. :)
http://www.intlgymnast.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2760:russias-komova-garibov-dominate-dinamo-meet&catid=5:competition-reports&Itemid=164

An interesting note not mentioned in the article is that Russia's Paseka did an Amanar.

FiveRinger
09-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I think the US women assumed they would become a household name like Mary Lou. However, just because that happened to Mary Lou doesn't mean it will happen to every US gymnast who wins. There were lots of circumstances in Mary Lou's favor. First of all, Mary Lou is overflowing with personality, not something I can say about Patterson, Liukin, Johnson, Bross (especially), etc. I know some of them have more personalities than others but none come close to Mary Lou. Also, Mary Lou was the first American to win the OGM in her sport and that goes a long way. Another factor was that Mary Lou won in the U.S. Finally, and I think this is a big one, Mary Lou was the one star. Sure, others were good, such as McNamara but Mary Lou was THE star. Since the early/mid 90's there have been plenty of US female stars. We had Miller/Zmeskal. Then Miller/Dawes and especially Mocheanu. Then the U.S. started rattling off World titles with Memmel, Vise, Sacramone, Liukin, and tons of others I am forgetting. There is a lot more competition just to be known as the one in the U.S. Winning an AA title isn't enough.

I appreciate everything that you've said here. I used Mary Lou as a comparison just because we all know who she is. And you're right--personality wise, no one compares to Mary Lou.

Nastia is obviously interested in the celebrity. She shows up at a lot of events, and she has a Twitter account, Facebook and wants people to keep up with her minute by minute. My point is that she wants the attention, wants to stay in the public eye and enjoy that while she can, because it is certainly fleeting. I don't know exactly what she expected as a result of her OGM as far as fame is concerned, but I certainly expect that she would be able to generate a living.

But you are right in your assessment of gymnastics stars.

bek
09-18-2011, 06:05 PM
It saddens me you can be more famous for winning/being on reality TV, than for real sporting success, you've worked your whole life for. It reminds me of a Kim Clijsters interview I read the other day; the journalist asked if she watched "Jersey Shore" as she lives in New Jersey. She answered that she'd barely even head of it, to which the reporter seemed unbelievably shocked. Is reality TV that prevalent?! I bloody hate it.

Back on-topic, is Johnson really a household name?!

I agree with you Brian. Gymnastics itself as become pretty stale as of late; it's not just the US women. No-one has really captured anyone's attention since Khorkina, love or hate her.

I actually think Mustafina had the charisma to start capturing attention. Even if her gymnastics was a bit messy. Unfortunately Aliya is out injured.....

I personally think part of the problem with the US girls is they are so darn politically correct. One thing I love about the Russians in gymnastics and skating is they aren't as politically correct..