PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #5

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

reese
09-15-2011, 10:52 PM
I can't really remember for sure, but I thought Maroney was pretty blah on uneven bars with a pretty mediocre SV? If so, then she has the same strengths as Alicia except that Alicia is a better beam worker and Maroney has the Amanar. I really hope at least one vet is on the Olympic team and I think Alicia, although I'm not a huge fan, would be the best choice. Experience and having an emotional leader matters, especially at the Olympics. If the team is 5 babies-- e.g. Wieber, Ross, Maroney, Raisman, Douglas, I think that would be a mistake. I would even consider Bross more of a veteran at this point.

judgejudy27
09-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Bross fills the role of a veteran leader on the team fine if she makes it. By 2010 the team probably wont even need Alicia on beam, so unless she upgrades on vault and floor she wont make it. Also while Marta likes her the 2008 disaester will probably be in the back of her mind if she has to make a tough choice.

Allen
09-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Here is a nice interview with Jenny Hansen and her comeback attempt (at age 37).

http://usa-gymnastics.org/pages/post.html?PostID=8567&prog=

triple_toe
09-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Can anyone explain to me what 6-3-3, 5-4-3, 5-3-3 etc means? I get that the latter two are five person teams but beyond that I'm a little lost.

LuckyCharm
09-16-2011, 03:46 AM
Can anyone explain to me what 6-3-3, 5-4-3, 5-3-3 etc means? I get that the latter two are five person teams but beyond that I'm a little lost.

a-b-c: a=#of gymnasts on the team b=#of team members competing on each event c=#of scores from each event that count toward the total team score, e.g. in 5-4-3 each team has 5 total athletes, 4 of whom compete on each event and the top 3 scores on each event count toward the total.

BigB08822
09-16-2011, 05:12 AM
And to go more in depth, the format for Worlds will be 6-5-4 in prelims but 6-3-3 in team finals.

In London for the Olympics the format will be 5-4-3 for prelims and 5-3-3 for team finals.

I THINK that is how prelims work in London. One thing I like about the change, really the only thing, is it gives you a much better idea at how team finals may turn out. As it is now with 6-5-4 then 6-3-3 the prelims may be dominated by one country but then, even if everyone hits, a different team may win finals because they have 3 really strong scores on each event and their 4th scores were hurting them in prelims.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Right. There's a lot more consistency this time around, and I do like it does put a little more emphasis on an AAer or 3-event gymnast. I only wish we could go back to 6-5-4 (I really want 6-6-5 but I know it's never going to happen).

judgejudy27
09-16-2011, 07:44 AM
I liked the 7-6-5 format at the 96 Games. There are so many talented gymnasts from the top countries these days, it would be nice to see as many competing as possible. You also feel sorry for solid and consistent AA gymnasts like Raisman (even with her weakish bars and fugly form) who no longer have much chance of making the Olympic team despite seemingly doing everything right.

Domshabfan
09-16-2011, 02:31 PM
I read from a few posters on GGMB that Raisman has alternate written all over her. Do you find that to be true as well?

I think so, she is a bankable athlete on 3 apparatus, she will hit her routine, and put up a decent score nothing spectacular. If needs comes on the team she can deliver, but the depth in US team means she is not essential. I know she is hard working and all, but she just does not fill any boxes for an artistic gymnast from a top nation.
For instance in US, it is essential to have an amanar to make the vault team final. Her amanar is scary, almost a nabieva in rotation (rotation mind you). She should not be allowed near the bar for team finals, personally she should not be allowed to swing during the qualification as well. For floor and beam, her leaps are easily downgradable, and thing that bugs me the most is the complete lack of artistry in her programs. You don't need to be a ballerina to dance, wieber is not a ballerina, but her floor routine is not offensive and she tries to do skills to the beat of the music. Puts some effort into the movement and does not look miserable. She is an Ok gymnast, but when we look into specifics of her gymnastics she has far too much deductions in most things she does. However she is ideal, as an alternate gymnast for 3 apparatus, just because she seems to deliver a decent routine.

vesperholly
09-16-2011, 06:35 PM
I liked the 7-6-5 format at the 96 Games. There are so many talented gymnasts from the top countries these days, it would be nice to see as many competing as possible. You also feel sorry for solid and consistent AA gymnasts like Raisman (even with her weakish bars and fugly form) who no longer have much chance of making the Olympic team despite seemingly doing everything right.

Agreed, but outside of US, China, Russia and Romania, there's not a lot of teams that can field a competitive team with 7-6-5. Though I prefer that format because I like more people to be able to say they're Olympic athletes, I can see how it puts smaller countries at a huge disadvantage.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-16-2011, 06:36 PM
I just missed it when a team competition was actually a team competition.

Buzz
09-16-2011, 07:09 PM
There was just an interview with Nastia Liukin on the BBC about fitness and she looks good. I wonder if she is going to try for a comeback? There have been rumours.

BigB08822
09-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Liukin is not coming back. She is leading everyone on and doing everything in her power to keep sponsors and to keep making money. She has been dangling the comeback carrot for 2 years now.

She is on the selection committee for goodness sake. I know she can step down but who is going to think the other members aren't partial to their previous colleague?

Pierre
09-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Unlike skating, I know only a little about gymnastics, so perhaps this is an entirely ignorant comment, but it seems pretty unlikely to me that Liukin could be back in top competitive form by the Olympics. If she were really planning on coming back, I would expect her to be doing what Johnson is doing (going to nationals, attending the camps, trying for the world team even if not back to that level yet, etc.) I realize there is a difference with respect to injury between the two, but still, waiting until next year's pre-Olympics events seems to me to be cutting it way too close. Am I wrong?

mkats
09-17-2011, 12:50 AM
No, I'm with Brian on Liukin. She's 100% done...just talking the talk to keep her name in the media and the money coming in (although does she really have any sponsorships anymore?)