PDA

View Full Version : Kemp & King relocating

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Imperfect Edge
08-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Source: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110819&content_id=23430386&vkey=ice_news (Scroll to bottom of the article)

In September, British pair champions Stacey Kemp and David King, eighth at the 2011 European Figure Skating Championships, will relocate to Ellenton, Fla., to train in Jim Peterson and Lyndon Johnston's group. There, they will share the ice with U.S. silver medalists Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig, as well as Felicia Zhang and Nate Bartholomay and juniors Christine Mozer and Danny O'Shea, among others.

"We're excited about making a fresh start," King said. "We plan to move right after we complete our IJS competition and monitoring in Sheffield [August 22-26]."

Ziggy
08-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Very interesting!

I wonder where they managed to secure the funding from.

Training in the US must cost an absolute fortune, compared to Poland.

blue_idealist
08-22-2011, 01:51 AM
I hope they can actually have a good season. I feel bad for them, how they've struggled the last couple.

Jenna
08-22-2011, 01:53 AM
I really hope their skills improve. I always want them to do well, but they never do. :(

Aussie Willy
08-22-2011, 01:54 AM
I hope someone can teach Stacey to jump. That leg wrap is a shocker.

overedge
08-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Sadly, I think they have problems that are unfixable regardless of who coaches them. If they haven't figured out how to do a non-wobbly lift by this point, while being coached by the team with some of the best pair lifts ever, I don't think they are going to get much further.

shan
08-22-2011, 02:17 AM
They improved so much under the Siudeks. Then the progress kind of stopped. Maybe things will turn around for them in FL.

Or maybe that's wishful thinking on my part... :scream:

SamuraiK
08-22-2011, 03:53 AM
*Sighs* They seem lovely people and they're free to continue as long as they want but... the writing has been on the wall for them for a loong time right now...

essence_of_soy
08-22-2011, 04:11 AM
*Sighs* They seem lovely people and they're free to continue as long as they want but... the writing has been on the wall for them for a loong time right now...

Maybe skating should institute a Calla Urbanski rule.

It's never gonna happen, so save your money and invest in a Walmart franchise instead.

victoriajh
08-22-2011, 04:35 AM
I hope someone can teach Stacey to jump. That leg wrap is a shocker.

yup one of the worst- - but for some reason I always find myself cherring for them!!!

antmanb
08-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Sadly, I think they have problems that are unfixable regardless of who coaches them. If they haven't figured out how to do a non-wobbly lift by this point, while being coached by the team with some of the best pair lifts ever, I don't think they are going to get much further.

To fair, the lifts are the least of their problems. I think they managed to get a good handle on them in the last few seasons. It's the jumps that are the problem. They still sometimes make mistakes on the SBS double flips :eek: if they can't even nail double flips every time they compete, then lofty heights of a double axel seem out of reach never mind a triple jump.

I too wonder where the funding came from when they were struggling to find money to train in Poland.

In any event, I wish them all the best. The seem like very hard workers so i hope it finally pays off.

FarFarAway
08-22-2011, 02:12 PM
They improved so much under the Siudeks.

Did they? I used to think that they were regressing each season, sadly...
And I do join to those who wonder where the funding came from...

TAHbKA
08-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Did they? I used to think that they were regressing each season, sadly...
And I do join to those who wonder where the funding came from...

They did. They were painful to watch before Suideks. With the Suideks at least their lifts were not scary. Minus the europeans....

antmanb
08-22-2011, 02:55 PM
They did. They were painful to watch before Suideks. With the Suideks at least their lifts were not scary. Minus the europeans....

Exactly! Also their basic skating improved no end under the Siudeks, their speed and extension got a lot better, that's not to say it was great but it did improve.

I also think their programmes got better and were more enjoyable.

allezfred
08-22-2011, 03:08 PM
I'll forever associate Coldplay with hip thrusting thanks to them.