PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Flatt's New Coaches

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

victoriaheidi
08-19-2011, 05:14 PM
According to IN: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110819&content_id=23424278&vkey=ice_news

As she moves to balance elite competition with what promises to be a challenging academic load, Lynn Smith and Justin Dillon will be her primary guides.

I'm happy for her for finding a team and giving next year a shot!

ETA: Also noticed that she's skating to Firebird for the LP.

MikiAndoFan#1
08-19-2011, 05:18 PM
I wish Rachael the best of luck with her new coaches and hope she has a great season! :cheer2:

falling_dance
08-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Best wishes to Flatt and her coaches in the new season. This also sounds pretty cool:

Before selecting her new mentors, Flatt examined the Northern California coaching scene and its sometimes busy rinks, spending time with Sergei Ponomarenko, the 1992 Olympic ice dance champion, and four-time U.S. men's champion Charlie Tickner, who won the world title in 1978. She plans to continue her relationship with both.

"I'm going to work with Charlie one or two times a week, in [nearby] Redwood City when I'm in a pinch and I don't have the luxury to drive down to San Jose," she said. "I'm also planning to work with Sergei on occasion in San Jose. I really won't be able to finalize everything until I have my school schedule."

Cheylana
08-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Glad Rachael has a plan in place and that her stress fracture is healing. I wish her well.
Also, it looks like Tom Z won't have any hand in Rachael's training going forward. Good. :shuffle:

Jenna
08-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Yay for Justin Dillon! :)

Interesting choice for the FS.

Sylvia
08-19-2011, 05:28 PM
IIRC, Lynn Smith has coached many young skaters to success at the lower levels over the years (Kelcie Lee when she won her 2004 Juvenile Girls title?). Smith coached Kevin Shum, a last-minute Novice Men's alternate, to a 9th place finish at 2011 US Nationals.

I believe Smith and Dillon currently co-coach Shum and Gwendolyn Prescott (2010 Intermediate silver medalist who has been competing Junior so far this summer), among others.

Flatt skated to "Firebird" for her FS when she won her 2005 U.S. Novice National title.

MikiAndoFan#1
08-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Also, it looks like Tom Z won't have any hand in Rachael's training going forward. Good. :shuffle:

:lol:

peibeck
08-19-2011, 05:39 PM
:rollin: I always enjoyed Justin's skating, even if he was never a top contender.

It will be a challenge balancing Stanford's academics with sports, but I wish all involved good luck.

And even though I don't really love "Firebird" too much, it will make for a nice change of pace with all the "swans" we are getting this season. :lol:

olifaunt
08-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Hm. I'm not sure I like what she said about Lori choreographing the program in two days...But I like her new coaching team, I love her attitude, and I wish her all the best. Go Rachael!

Jenna
08-19-2011, 05:45 PM
I hope she adds that 3F+3T and that her 2A+3T becomes fully rotated. I'm still skeptical about the 3Lz-3Lo but I would love for that to happen!

victoriaheidi
08-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Hm. I'm not sure I like what she said about Lori choreographing the program in two days...But I like her new coaching team, I love her attitude, and I wish her all the best. Go Rachael!

I'm hoping that what she meant was that, given how natural the program felt to her, it only took her two days to pick up on what Lori choreographed for her. I'm hoping. If that's the case, I'm very optimistic.

Cheylana
08-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I wonder if they are just updating the version of Firebird she used in 2005; perhaps that is why she picked up the choreo so quickly?

MacMadame
08-19-2011, 06:27 PM
I didn't realize Lynn was coaching down in San Jose. Last time I was skating, she was up in Oakland. She's a good technical coach. Justin's a good guy, but I have no sense of what kind of coach he is. His students seem to love him though.

DickButtonFan
08-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Firebird might be a good choice, can't wait to see it. Maybe this darker music is better suited giving her almost a Vanessa Gusmeroli/Irina Slutskaya vibe. I'd like to see her in some kind of black pant suit. Hope she has fun this year and brings it.

taf2002
08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Firebird might be a good choice, can't wait to see it. Maybe this darker music is better suited giving her almost a Vanessa Gusmeroli/Irina Slutskaya vibe. I'd like to see her in some kind of black pant suit. Hope she has fun this year and brings it.

I can't think of any two skaters more unlike than Irina S & Vanessa G. But I agree Firebird might be a good choice. She won't be able to do cutesy moves with that music. Or she shouldn't be able to.